Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Hooking up at night in the freezing rain and dog poop

Well last night I wanted to hook the truck up to the trailer so we could get an early start. It was all kinds of fun with it 35 and raining. Well turns out the wife did not have her poop together and we left at 9am not 6am.

Speaking of poop, I must thank the dog owner who was kind enough to let their dog poop where I could step in it. The was tonight at falling waters state park in FL. It took me 15 mins to get it out of my boot tread. Please clean up after you dogs folks.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Speaking of poop, I must thank the dog owner who was kind enough to let their dog poop where I could step in it. The was tonight at falling waters state park in FL. It took me 15 mins to get it out of my boot tread. Please clean up after you dogs folks.
Do you feel better for having vented? Chances are, the inconsiderate pet owner who needs chastisement isn't even a participant in the Forums— we're all better people than that. Or at least we should all assume so, until proven otherwise.

But I've got to say, you really know your (bleep)! To be able to identify it as coming from a dog and not some other type of (possibly wild) critter, in the dark, in the rain, is impressive!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Sorry you had a tough time

It sounds miserable. Cold, rainy, pooh night. A little colder and the pooh would have been frozen

It might make you feel better to know that, last week we were so happy that we had a nice 35 degree day for outdoor work. I see coats coming off at 40 degrees.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Gotta love this pic.

reminds me of the old roadside gas station diner combo in NH with the big sign.....

"Eat Here and Get Gas"
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Always clean up after our dogs. Really irks me when others don't. Once tracked dog poo into a truck camper after dark. What a mess. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
I think one of the funniest things we've witnessed this winter is the following. A spunky Canadian woman witnessed another camper with two large dogs allow her dogs to poop and then just walked away from it. The Canadian got a couple of bags, picked up the poop and walked over to the offender's camper, knocked, and handing the woman the bags said, "here, I think you forgot these." Dog poop and litter. Two things I just don't get.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Every Sunday morning on the way to Church we'd pass this sign in front of a very fancy eatery. Gave Dad a chuckle and Mom a squirm.
I didn't realize 'til much later why.

Eat out, the wife you save may be your own.

BTW...... it had no punctuation.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Another dog pet peeve I have is people that bring lots of yap yap dogs with them on a camping trip. Then they leave them for hours at a time in the camper yapping like mad and annoying everybody around them. Had an old couple who did this on the first night here. Lucky for us, they left today and no more yap yap :-). We are at Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral now. It is a bit crowded here but everyone seems to be fairly well behaved. Last night was pretty nice accept for the yap yaps. Everyone else was quiet.

I am thinking of getting a loud speaker and as soon as I see them outside, I will play dogs barking the whole time they are outside.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I am thinking of getting a loud speaker and as soon as I see them outside, I will play dogs barking the whole time they are outside.
Better not. When dogs hear a dog barking, they start barking too. It's contagious.

Get a recording of big dogs growling! Or maybe bears growling. Grrrrrr! That should turn the yapping little dogs into whining scaredy-cats.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I am a dog person

Yeah clean up after your dogs.

But I was at a campground where they charged extra for dogs. Dogs had to stay at your campsite. My dogs will bark for me to come back so
i had to stay at my campsite. I carried my pup to my friends campsite,and they gave me a bunch of noise about it. My friend told them he had just bought the dog. JUST SAY NO DOGS ALLOWED

At our festival we had a no dog camping area, no dogs where food was, no dogs at concert area. ( there is horse pooh at a lot of festival sites )

Anyway, you can't believe how many fights there were over non pooh and non barking situations. I was lucky that my pup has tons of friends that wanted to babysit her. I still got " YOU ARE BREAKING THE RULES. DOGS HAVE TO BE AT YOUR CAMPSITE. THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END. WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE. I AM CALLING SECURITY THIS IS GOING ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD. OH THE HUMANITY ( Obscure Hindenburg reference )"

Generally I like most dogs more than I like most people. I don't even want to know anyone who doesn't like dogs.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Generally I like most dogs more than I like most people. I don't even want to know anyone who doesn't like dogs.
x2.... With the exception of our forum members... Were all family here
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
At Canopener I made a point of petting every dog I met. Meeting dogs is a great way to meet dog owners, too. Surprisingly, not even one of them tried to eat my fingers. Neither did the dog owners. They were all well-behaved, even the yappy little ones. The dogs, and the owners.

Wait a minute… I'm starting to see a trend here.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

While I am on a roll…...

My dog is seven pounds and no danger to anyone She loves cats, chickens, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, and llamas. There was a donkey that didn't like her, and she can do without banjo players.

But people keep coming up to us and asking what kind of dog she is. I tell them that she is a Pomeranian. Most of the people would then ask " Aren't they yappy? Usually with a look on their face like they had just smelled foul wind from the donkey…..It is so annoying that I taught her how to whisper, yap, or bark…. I just told her to yap

For dog lovers who might be interested
A whispered " speak" means to whisper
A loud " speak " means to yap
A " whose that? " means to bark

She is very smart and her moniker is " The Circus Dog"
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hey Protag

It does not surprise me one little bit that you like dogs or that dogs like you.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It does not surprise me one little bit that you like dogs or that dogs like you.
From as far back as I can remember, up until I moved out of my parents' house to attend college, I had at least one dog, and sometimes as many as four at once time. Once I started living alone as an apartment dweller, it didn't seem right to own a dog that I'd have to leave cooped up in the apartment when I went to work.

Now that I don't have to go to work anymore, you'd think I'd want to get a dog of my own again. But I'm reluctant to take on the responsibility of dog ownership after so long without one, so I settle for vicariously enjoying the company of other people's dogs.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Protag visit a shelter, you might save a dogs life as well as yours. They can lower everyone's blood pressure, and be your best traveling buddy. The companionship is priceless. From my experience a opposite sex dog works best..... Love I guess.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Protag.. our last dog died... right after last kid left home.

Wife wanted a 'dog of my own'... ok... so, who takes it outside when storming?

However, we saved this little guy's life.. we can't save them all (at least that is my current argument to the problem)...so, let's do a good job with this one...

Dog's name is 'Boo'... he's leery of men, loves the ladies...is a ham.. has made me smile once or twice...

However, when he is 'gone'... I HOPE we don't 'save' another one....

We had 'working' dogs and 'pet' dogs growing up. I MUCH PREFER the working dogs... because they have a 'purpose'.... We used them to hunt... It is cruel to lock up any dog, especially a 'working breed'....

On the other hand, when we are home or camping, Boo gets real grouchy because he doesn't sleep all day!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Protag and others interested or curious. Since my retirement a year ago I've volunteered , sometimes every day for weeks, at a new shelter a young couple is or has opened, waiting now on the IRS 501c3 filing approval. I am a trainer and rehabilitation person along with the owner who is a certified trainer and behaviorist. Much to some peoples surprise a rescued dog knows, I have trained and taken about 300 dogs to homes this past year, as we do a home inspection for every adopted dog, and when the dogs are welcomed into the home they change from what they act like in our shelter or even my truck. Many have big smiles on their faces and run around, others jump in someones lap and simply want to be hugged.

Each year in the US there are over 5 Million dogs put to sleep, all kinds, sizes and ages. We just rescued 2 litters of puppies, three weeks old and their mothers who were about to be put to sleep. We keep them until they are at least eight weeks with their Moms and liter mates and then try to find them homes. We currently have 50 dogs, four of whom we cannot adopt out, too dangerous right now, but we are a 100% no kill, unless dog is too sick or hurt.

So, if you are considering a dog, go to a shelter, look at dogs that might interest you, ask questions, if they don't have answers to the dogs personality etc move on to another shelter. We know every dog, it's personality and such as we keep them until we learn who they are and what they are about. We dog test them, people test them and cat test them if a prospective adopter has cats. Shelters generally have every breed as mentioned, for instance we can "get" almost any breed as we pull our dogs from high kill shelters as other rescues do. So, in your area there are rescues doing what we do, therefore, if you are slightly interested take a look - no charge and no obligation for looking. If you rescue you will make your life richer and save a soul.

My Best and good luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
From my experience a opposite sex dog works best..... Love I guess.
PLEASE tell me you're not suggesting anything kinky!

Not that it matters. I know my limitations. No more pets for me. No wife or kids, either. I'm not comfortable with the idea of being responsible for a life other than my own.