Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Honor Flight

Today, at about noon, a plane load of WWII veterans left Austin, Texas for Washington, D.C. They were given a big sendoff from Austin-Bergstrom Airport, including a water cannon salute by the fire equipment on the field as the plane taxied out. They will visit the WWII monument, Arlington Cemetery, and other places appropriate to their service.

They arrive back in Austin at 7:25, tomorrow, 6/15/13. There will be a welcome ceremony in the area of the Southwestern ticket counter starting at 7PM tomorrow. Parking is even free for those who are there to greet the veterans return.

These heroes will not be with us much longer. I invite anyone reading this in the Austin area to join with me and my wife to welcome them home.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Wonderful, John. We had about four cycles of Honor Flight from Greensboro a little over a year ago. I sponsored 5 WWII vets for the trip in honor of my Dad who was both a WWII and Korean War vet, but who didn't live to see this wonderful memorial (and it is, I might add). I visited about a year after it opened, and while I am a Vietnam Vet and am always moved by "The Wall" I can tell you that the WWII Memorial is a fitting tribute to the thousands who served. Since today is Flag Day, it's fitting that you posted this today. Barry

"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had an Honor Flight from Peoria last week.

Very moving for them to experience, and for locals to watch.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
It was great!

I attended the Honor Flight return last evening. There was a crowd of several hundred people, mostly family and former military there to welcome them home.

There were 35 veterans who were brought out from the gates in wheelchairs two abreast. I'm sure that many could have made it on their own two feet, but it was a lot more efficient to use the chairs. The organizers had about 20 wheelchairs and Southwestern Airlines furnished the rest. There were two women veterans, former nurses.

They visited the WWII monument, the National Cemetery, and the Holocaust Museum. They were visibly tired on arrival, but all were smiling and were obviously grateful for the reception.

Because they were two abreast, I was able to personally salute and shake hands with only half of the veterans. I'm guess I'm getting old and emotional, but I had tears in my eyes while they were passing.

There was a short ceremony in which they were presented with several keepsakes and a copy of a proclamation by the Mayor of Austin.

The next Honor Flight will be in the fall. I will not miss another opportunity to attend the departure, the return, or both.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My wife has had the joy and honor of serving as a Flight Attendant on a couple of Honor Flights from RDU and CLT. There is a long waiting list for these flights both for the vets and for people volunteering to work them. They are one of the few things left that make me proud to be an American.

When I am working local I make sure to be at the airport to see them off or welcome them home.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
What a wonderful tribute and acknowledgment.

I support the vintage warbirds because they speak for those veterans who have passed.
BBMF Lancaster Drops Poppies over Bomber Command Memorial - YouTube

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote