Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
INSANITY CENTRAL
 
doorgunner's Avatar
 
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,105
Images: 35
Honey-I shrunk the Airstream!

I'm sitting in my fold up chair at the California State Park where I've been parked for 3 days.
Danger Ranger drives into my site, parades over to us (4 adults enjoying afternood adult beverages) and asks me how long my AS is.
Like a heart on a defib I reply 29 feet!
Well we have a 30 foot limit here, then he goes into a BS thing , draws a line in the sand and goes on tho say how they strictly enforce ALL the park regs there. He was looking for a fight. I was quite offended by his aggressive attitude and the fact that he was wearing a loaded sidearm really set me off. We listened to his line of crap for a while and finally he left. I guess he did not want to measure my trailer just give out his daily ration of I'm in charge here. or he couldn't figure out how to read a tape measure.SO I've visited a few other state parks recently and inquired as to how they measure travel trailers. Seems as no one knows for sure.Most say whatever the sticker on the side of the trailer indicates.
So I'm having the number 29 decals made up and will be slappin em on the side of the Excella soon.
ANYONE else having these issues, I read about age diecrimination earlier tonite and this got me thinking.
Granted there are some parks that my AS would not even come close to fittin in, and others that have plenty of room.
Just wondering- anyone else shrunk their rig??
__________________

__________________


www.popasmoke.com




Proud Appellation American





Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
I'm sitting in my fold up chair at the California State Park where I've been parked for 3 days.
Danger Ranger drives into my site, parades over to us (4 adults enjoying afternood adult beverages) and asks me how long my AS is.
Like a heart on a defib I reply 29 feet!
Well we have a 30 foot limit here, then he goes into a BS thing , draws a line in the sand and goes on tho say how they strictly enforce ALL the park regs there. He was looking for a fight. I was quite offended by his aggressive attitude and the fact that he was wearing a loaded sidearm really set me off. We listened to his line of crap for a while and finally he left. I guess he did not want to measure my trailer just give out his daily ration of I'm in charge here. or he couldn't figure out how to read a tape measure.SO I've visited a few other state parks recently and inquired as to how they measure travel trailers. Seems as no one knows for sure.Most say whatever the sticker on the side of the trailer indicates.
So I'm having the number 29 decals made up and will be slappin em on the side of the Excella soon.
ANYONE else having these issues, I read about age diecrimination earlier tonite and this got me thinking.
Granted there are some parks that my AS would not even come close to fittin in, and others that have plenty of room.
Just wondering- anyone else shrunk their rig??
There are several manufacturers who only measure the body in determining length. Airstream is one which measures bumper to ball. Subtract three feet and you have the body only.

Bill
__________________

__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Luminati's Avatar
 
1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 333
Images: 8
29 ft. my foot!

Yeah, yeah!! There you go again,Tim, braggin' how long your trailer is!

Must be a burden. See you at Lake San Antonio at the end of this month!
__________________
Mark, Karin and The Mighty Quinn https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M...29778407104915

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,327
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
So I'm having the number 29 decals made up and will be slappin em on the side of the Excella soon.
ANYONE else having these issues, I read about age diecrimination earlier tonite and this got me thinking.
WHOA.....d' you mean if I place a number 39 on my body someplace everyone will believe that I am 30 years younger......COOL!
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
i see we have a case of, "does size really matter?". ;-)
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
i was just thinking (ouch), do they make front or rear slide outs?
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Ganglin's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,365
Images: 13
It's funny how you read the oddest stories about CA state parks on The Forum. Here in OH if it will fit on the pad - no wheels in the grass please - come enjoy yourself.
__________________
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Yeah, welcome to California

At 21 feet, I'm only aware of one CG that won't let me in.

Tim, why does it seem as though the "uniforms" are always picking on you?
Dave
__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Yes, I've shrunk my Airstream, but for a different reason. The size cutoff for storage is 30'. so ours was 28'...
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
ljmiii's Avatar
 
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 268
Honey - I blew up the Airstream

No...but I usually 'blow up' my Airstream to 25' when I make reservations to make sure I don't get stuck in the back in the corner on a tent pad!
__________________
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
codybear's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,562
Images: 315
Blog Entries: 2
great thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
No...but I usually 'blow up' my Airstream to 25' when I make reservations to make sure I don't get stuck in the back in the corner on a tent pad!
Hi,
Wow what a great perspective!..never thought about it that way!
__________________
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Babeebloos's Avatar
 
1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 766
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Hi,
Wow what a great perspective!..never thought about it that way!
That's what's so neat about the forums...we can get ALL sorts of new ideas!
__________________
Officer says ..."Step AWAY from the toaster Ma'am"

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
codybear's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,562
Images: 315
Blog Entries: 2
hi there!!!

Yup, all sorts and lots of new ideas!
__________________
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
JimGolden's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,619
Images: 7
WV parks

WV only has two parks that I know of that have a 30' limit; most of them are bring what ya got. The two that have the limit are smaller parks (I forget the names offhand) that are mainly for jeeps and tents. You'd never get any kind of Airstream in there from what the nice lady on the phone told me.

So at least in WV, if the road going in is half decent, bring her on in. Just be good at backing in, cause you're not gonna get a pull through
__________________

__________________
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jet Blue's Mobile Airstream Classic 350 at Colonial Airstream Colonial Airstream Classic Motorhomes 21 10-02-2011 04:05 PM
Really Cool KARE 11 piece on MN Airstream Park & Airstream AirstreamFan Airstream "In the News" 4 09-19-2006 05:25 PM
Airstream Parks: North Texas Airstream Community/NTAC RivetED Link Archive 2 11-26-2004 08:56 PM
'People come to it like bees to honey.' Andy R Airstream "In the News" 2 07-19-2004 08:17 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.