Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Honda oil change question

My whole life I have always changed the oil on any vehicle I owned every 3,000 miles and have never had any engine problems. We bought a new Honda CRV and the manual doesn't suggest this , instead it has an oil service life gauge and suggest changing oil when it diplays 10% or annually whichever comes first and not changing based srictly on mileage. I really have great faith in Honda engineering but old habits are hard to break. I don't want to waste money or oil but is this new technology to be trusted?
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Oil gets diluted by gas blowing by the piston rings - it's really the additives to the gas that remain after a hot motor cools off. I've had a few motors that appeared to never use oil but would start smelling strongly like gas on a cold motor - motors that went 125,000 miles without 42 oil changes that's for sure.

If you are planning a long trip I'd change the oil before you go but otherwise I'd trust the sensor... And document your oil changes to suit the warranty requirements!!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The oil life monitor gauges oil life based on engine revolutions, engine coolant and oil temps, as well as ambient temp. It also factors in variables like throttle position and engine load, as well as miles driven. There are factors I would change oil more often based upon, such as relative humidity (higher tends to add more condensation inside the engine) and driving conditions the computer doesn't know about (very dusty conditions, or example).
So, to make a long answer short, it is good to use as a guide, but don't let yourself be misled by a piece of electronics. In all things, common sense should prevail.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
How long are you going to keep the Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
... So, to make a long answer short, it is good to use as a guide, but don't let yourself be misled by a piece of electronics. In all things, common sense should prevail.
While I live by that sentiment, I consider it dated for today's cars that most people seem to dump after a few years.

If you plan to keep the Honda until the wheels fall off, keep changing the oil on a schedule with which you are comfortable.

If the master plan includes rotating the CRV out of the driveway in five to seven years, why waste money on more-than-computer-suggested oil changes? The next owner will probably never how much money you put into the effort.

While I pamper my almost-vintage Suburban, my wife's vehicle's oil only gets changed when the computer recommends it because she prefers late-model transportation.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
I also have a new Honda. It is a 2008 Pilot. i as well noted there is no oil change suggestions. So I called Honda CSR directly. They said there monitor does as described but also has a sensor that directly monitors the oil and there is no need to change before it is suggested on the display. My suggestion is to call Honda directly.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Keep in mind that these newer vehicles do not have a "Belt and Hose Monitor," or a "Tire Wear Monitor," or an "Oil Leak Detector." As a matter of fact, they don't "alert" you to a lot of things that potentially need attention. You know, the things that your hopefully trusted mechanic will check when he does the 3,000 or 6,000 or whatever interval service you prefer.

Unfortunately, with these oil change reminder systems, many hoods will remain closed for dangerously long periods of time. The shorter service intervals protect against unexpected failures of systems other than engine oiling.

The manufacturers want us to view their vehicles as low maintenance and I agree that many do not require the oil to be changed as often as in the past. But sticking to 3 or 6 month check up (oil change or not) still makes sense regardless of the mileage.

RB
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
My whole life I have always changed the oil on any vehicle I owned every 3,000 miles and have never had any engine problems. We bought a new Honda CRV and the manual doesn't suggest this , instead it has an oil service life gauge and suggest changing oil when it diplays 10% or annually whichever comes first and not changing based srictly on mileage. I really have great faith in Honda engineering but old habits are hard to break. I don't want to waste money or oil but is this new technology to be trusted?
oil has changed more than my hairline!

my best friend bought the same vehicle a year ago and had the same questions. after many calls and research, the answer for almost everyone is: use the monitor.

it might be worth taking some of the drained oil and having a lab analysis done. please send me a PM if you find anything of interest.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Our almost 10-years old Mercedes have been on Flexible Service System from day 1. For few years it was running on dino oil with average 13,000 intervals before Mercedes changed the policy to synthetics. Mercedes is having 8 quarts oil pans. To date the SUV remains one of the most trouble-free cars in the World totaling $129 in repairs (our labor) in 10 years period. Not counting one set of plugs, one set of tires and 2 sets of brake pads. Still all original batteries. Even our son can't kill it now.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Oil has changed a lot and my Honda dealer has modified their recommendations from every 3,000 miles to 3,750. I'm on my third Honda (currently a CRV and a Civic) and tend to do the dino oil changes somewhere in the 5,200 mile mark or so. I kept my Accord until it hit 165,000 miles over the course of 10 years. I had my dealer do all the recommended maintenance although I stretched out the oil change intervals other than the 30K mile maintenance and the timing belt change out. I never had an engine or transmission related issue in it's 10 years of service.

My newest Honda, a Civic has no recommendation other than following the computer's change messages. Currently I've got about 4,700 miles on it and the oil life computer shows 40% life left in the oil. About 80% of the miles are Interstate driven. I'm thinking we will do the first change at about the 5,000 mile mark or so.

Now my tow vehicle does about 6,000 miles a year and it's on a diet of Mobil 1. Based on the fact that all of its trips are towing or long enough to get the vehicle hot, I'm holding to an annual change. Its oil change indicator has never turned on.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Some vehicles simply use a calculation as Terry pointed out, while other engine oil monitoring systems actually monitor the oil in the engine as JPAIRSTREAM has pointed out.

If in fact you do have a vehicle that actually is monitoring the oil quality, then I would in fact trust that far more than I would a system that uses variables to calculate when an oil change is required.

I have the system in several vehicles that calculates based on variables and I find that I hit 3000 miles typically when this system says I have about 40% left. I use Amsoil fully synthetic oil in the Burb, extended life to add, so I typically change at 1 year intervals unless I do a lot of towing. Though that may seem odd to the average 3000 mile changer as I use to once be, I only put maybe about 5000 miles on the truck a year, mostly towing and some winter driving (since it's 4x4), which according to the Amsoil extended life specs, appear to be OK to do and going by the oil monitor system, after a year I still have 18% life still.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
The new dino oils have a 5,000 range. I have a burb and have never had the change oil light come on unless I forget to reset the computer. It is set at 5,000 miles. The oil change places still adhere to the 3,000 mile rule, thus perpetuating the MYTH.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
Of course it's to be trusted. Why would Honda recommend it if it wasn't? I don't understand why some people think they know more than the automotive engineers who designed the system.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote