Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Georgia
Homeschool or Home Schooled AS out there?

Hey Forum! My wife is a home school mom and I have a sales territory that covers the entire SE USA. We are blessed no doubt!!

So now that we have our 86 SOV we are considering (well we are going to do it) taking a week or two each quarter while I am in FL or out in LA (Lower Alabama or Lousiana alternately) and "camp" it while I work the territory.

Now Momma will be WELL ARMED while I am gone as we are FIRM 2A supporters here in the SE USA so I am not worried about her safety while I am gone during the day so thanks for your concern in advance.

We were wondering, however, are there any other homeschoolers out there on the road? Any popular homeschool destinations or AS hangouts that accomodate home educated folks? Anybody already done the whole homeschool/Airstream experience and have any advice to offer?

Look forward to hearing from you all!!

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD

Air #41001
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
One of my very favorite songwriters is david wilcox. He and his Wife spent a couple of years recently traveling in an Airstream with their school age son. You might enjoy reading his blog about this or even listening to some of the music that came from this adventure.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We're not on the road much, but have a homeschooled teenager. She comes with us on about a third of our trips. The rest of the time she prefers to stay home with her college age sister. She is enrolling in a couple of community classes in January which will mean even less road time available to her.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Home Schooler

We home schooled our 3 children. We called it home fooling.
Two are doing crypto linguistics training (Translator?) in the U.S. Marines. The third is 17, works, does martial arts and games too much on the computer we put together.
I proposed calling the school Hog Warts School of Home Fooling for the diploma but was shot down by the other 4. Instead of Headmaster I wanted the title of Chief Inquisitor. Oh, well.

Let no boundaries be your rule.

We did.

Join state and national home school associations. Think of them as cheap insurance. A lawyer is always on call. And you will get help with curriculum, state laws and testing.

Enjoy the time, you will not believe how quick it passes and how soon the kids are gone!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Enjoy the time, you will not believe how quick it passes and how soon the kids are gone!!!!
We did not home school, but our daughter did with her 4 daughters. And we can tell you that time does pass so fast, 36 years later, 5 grandkids and 4 greats. Where did it go??? Travel and enjoy all the unbelievable sights you will see and experience.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I to am in very much the same boat. We have look at using a company by the name of "K12" K12: Public, Private & Home Schooling Curriculum - Online High School, Elementary & Home School | K12
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Amazon.com: Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense (9780156300001): David Guterson: Books

Abook on written by a public high school teacher who home schooled his children, you might enjoy it. Same author who wrote "Snow falling on Cedars".
Old 12-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Georgia
Thanks, but...

I must have mis-stated my question(s)...

We are fully into the HS thing and members of various orgs, notably HSLDA, etc.

Wife does a nice job with curriculum(s), the kids (9+6) are involved in a bunch of different groups, activities, etc. From what I have seen I find it hard to believe anyone would put their kids in a gubbament school unless there were no other options. But I digress...

What I REALLY wanted to know was:

1. Is anyone out there ACTIVELY homeschooling on the road in their AS?

2. Are there any H/S AS groups out there?

3. Any really cool places to visit/camp for a week or two to AUGMENT the H/S experience?

Thanks in advance!!

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD

Air #41001
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Understood your question, just providing additional info.

Check with Rich Luhr "Airstream Life" he and his wife were on the road with Emma for a couple of years, even stayed at my house for a couple of days traveling around.

Good luck,
Old 12-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_john View Post
Any really cool places to visit/camp for a week or two to AUGMENT the H/S experience?
Start here.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_john View Post
1. Is anyone out there ACTIVELY homeschooling on the road in their AS?

2. Are there any H/S AS groups out there?

3. Any really cool places to visit/camp for a week or two to AUGMENT the H/S experience?
Answers:

1) Yes, we did it for three years and continue to educate in the Airstream for six months a year. In our travels we often met other people doing it with their kids. It's actually not unusual, but most folks don't advertise their life with a blog.

2) There are no Airstream-specific homeschool groups that I'm aware of.

3) Mistral Blue got it right with his answer. But the broader answer is, EVERYWHERE! There's a useful learning experience in every aspect of Airstream travel, if you look for it. Your kids will have the advantage of meeting people of different races, religions, viewpoints, politics, languages, sizes/shapes, abilities, lifestyles, etc., if you let them explore the world -- and I would encourage you to do so. They'll be broader-minded, more confident, and more equipped to compete in the modern world than kids who never got to experience life beyond their own hometown.

Good luck

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote