Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
A number of years ago my son returned from 4 years with the Marine Corp, mostly at Subic Bay in the Philippines. My wife and I were in the process of moving to another house and we were staying in my son's upstairs bedroom. In the middle of the night my wife got leg cramps and I went down stairs to get her some water. As I was about to go back up the stairs, my son came out and asked what was wrong. I told him mom had cramps. He thought I said "crabs", and he went nuts yelling about how mom got crabs and in his bed. I told him to calm down, it was cramps, not crabs and to go back to sleep.

Hahahaha hahahahaha - I just coughed up a lung

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
More on tumeric, from ME News this am:

"Health Benefits of Turmeric

Turmeric is one of the most versatile of all herbal healers. “It’s my favorite herb,” says K.P. Khalsa, the formulating herbalist for Yogi Tea. Turmeric can soothe upset stomachs and help skin conditions such as acne, dermatitis and psoriasis. It is a powerful antioxidant and has been used to relieve pain. The spice also detoxifies the liver and protects it from damage, and it aids digestion by increasing bile secretion. As little as 1⁄4 teaspoon a day can have measurable healing effects.

Although it is a staple of Ayurveda (an ancient Indian system of medicine) and Traditional Chinese Medicine, modern Western researchers are also interested in turmeric’s healing properties. Most recently, researchers have been analyzing its anticancer effects. Results are still early, but evidence suggests that curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, may help prevent, control or kill several types of cancer, including breast, colon, prostate and skin. One 2009 study published in the British Journal of Cancer showed that curcumin starts to kill esophageal cancer cells within 24 hours of treatment. Studies also suggest that curcumin may prevent the onset of dementia; people who eat curry two to three times a week seem to have a lower risk of developing the disease.

To benefit from turmeric’s healing powers, try incorporating this aromatic spice into your cooking. Turmeric is delicious in curries, but its flavor also works well with eggs, on meat, with sautéed or roasted veggies, and in rice or chili. Otherwise, take 1 gram a day of dried, ground turmeric in capsule form or try a standardized extract and simply follow the instructions on the label. Talk to your health-care provider before taking medicinal doses of any herb or supplement. In medicinal doses, turmeric might increase blood-thinning effects and therefore increase risk of bleeding from drugs such as warfarin and aspirin. (The herb is safe to use as a culinary spice.)"

Dr. Oz is doing a lot these days on natural remedies and homemade products for hair, skin, health, etc,, the idea being to reduce waste, use of chemicals and artificial whatevers.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I seemed to be contracting a cold. Reaching for my favorite remedy - Fresh squeezed Orange juice..

Later tonight may be a Hot Toddy. Ok, ok, THAT is my favorite remedy
Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmmm, yes......hot whiskey.

Jameson Irish Whiskey
1 sugar cube
1 slice lemon, studded with 3 cloves
Boiling water

Will warm you when you're chilled, and cure what ails you.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is a little more broadly based than home remedies, but a really good article.

5 Easy Changes You Can Make to Promote a Healthier Lifestyle - Natural Health - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Maggie
Old 09-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doing some online research re a stubborn skin spot not responding to tea tree oil, I came across this use of iodine for non-malignant skin things.

Skin Cancer - Natural Treatment Options

I bought a bottle of 2% iodine tincture at the drugstore, applied it numerous times to the spot yesterday, and it is already shrinking today.

I have ordered a bottle of the 7% solution, just to have on hand.

I recall when growing up, my RN mother keeping iodine in the medicine cabinet, and it being the go-to under a bandaid for cuts, scrapes, etc.

It sounds like an effective alternative others may be interested in, and I have learned over the years with my beloved chiropractor/homeopath that not all healing is medically induced.

It seems to be working on my spot, and the 2% solution is also available in clear, for use on the face without the discoloration.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2015, 08:04 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Maggie; brings back memories of my old, old hospital days. The Dr's used a radio active form of Iodine (131) to treat cancers. By old, i mean before all the lawsuits and legalities and when Drs. treated the patient and NOT the government and Insurance companies. You might be on to something.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think iodine is an ingredient in betadine, too, isn't it....what they swab surgical sites with beforehand?

Generally having common sense....mechanical things notwithstanding ....if the iodine doesn't do it, I will see a dermatologist.

The spot has already, visibly shrunk.

I am a longtime fan of tea tree oil, and keep it in my medicine cabinet at home, as well as in the Interstate.

Good for insect bites and other itchy things, also ringworm spots on grandchildren.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The clear, 2% iodine tincture, in a 2oz bottle at WalMart was about $3.

Altho I have ordered a bottle of the 7% solution, I suspect I will not need it to eradicate this particular spot.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
About a week ago, I began treating the stubborn sore on my skin with the 2% iodine tincture, and it is almost completely healed up at this time.

After too long doing basically nothing, it has closed and healed from the inside, as a wound would and should do.

I suspect there will be a small scar, but that I can live with.

I have begun dabbing the iodine on several other little spots that have popped up with age , and they are also fading.

I'm very pleased, and have a new staple in my medicine cabinet.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm on a roll....what can I say?

Purchased shoe deodorizers not effective on my Reeboks-with-orthotic-inserts, I can launder the shoes but what to do with the inserts?

Voila! A few tablespoons of baking soda sprinkled liberally with tea tree oil, blended thoroughly with a tiny whisk and stored in an airtight container.

Sprinkle liberally over the (removed) insoles, let set for 24 hours, shake and brush off.

Can do the same thing inside shoes, the tea tree oil kills odor causing bacteria, and both items serve to deodorize.

Odor.... gone.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
For some symptoms described by some of my patients, I have really only wanted to prescribe a certain concoction they can make at home, but I am not sure it is entirely ethical or good customer service, so I keep it to myself...allow me to vent this option, if not for anything my own catharsis.

1tsp toughin-up syrup (TM) PO QID PRN

As a telephone triage nurse for Adolescent Clinic prior to retirement, I would get calls from teens with vague complaints of one thing or another that lasted a minute or so and happened once every few weeks - mostly they wanted to talk to someone I think- Assessment: I told them often it proved they were alive! They accepted that and called to chat when they had other problems- the physician I worked for loved my assessment and I heard her use it as well on several occaisions. Listening can be powerful medicine....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a good thing for us all to be reminded of, FG.

Thanks.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
I've long heard that keeping a bar of soap under the fitted sheet at the foot of your bed helps with leg cramps. I've never tried it but made my husband try it for about 6 months when he was battling them. He said he never had another cramp after I put the soap under the sheet. He is kind enough to likely not tell me if he did, so I'd not think my efforts were in vain. :-) Anyone else ever heard of this or tried it?
Paddledipper been using soap under fitted sheets for a number of years. I get leg cramps in the quads and hamstrings, sometimes the same time and it doubles me over. Since going to soap, only occasionally and then rubbing soap on the spot stops it.

Also, Apple Cider Vinegar after night time meal virtually has eliminated acid reflux. Doc says no way, then he says but if it works don't stop.

Also, my post #75, Chiropractor was right about my herniated discs and fractured back. Fracture is healed, and very little pain from herniated discs - 10 months after injury. Nice part, no operation, just exercises and time.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
It's amazing what love can heal. I get a very good vibe from this forum. I've seen people get emotionally healed from the positive support of this forum...very powerful. Were all treated like family....that's a good thing Pets have healing powers that words can't even describe. I like call ourselves pet guardians not owners....we all know they own us.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I hadn't heard about the bar of soap in the bed, but I've found that keeping enough calcium in the diet does wonders for leg cramps. My husband had some bad ones occasionally, and that worked for him.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Sorry this tip doesn't involve rum or bourbon. For a canker sore in your mouth, put a little bit of powdered alum on it (you'll find alum in the spice rack at many grocery stores). It's really bitter but it dries out the canker sore almost overnight. Once it's healed, enjoy a rum and coke. Wow, I was wrong. This tip does involve rum. And, I suppose it would work with bourbon too.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Does anyone have a water ionizer? I've stumbled across this concept in raising your body's PH level to cure cancer, and other ailments. The machine also gives the treated water huge anti-oxidant levels, also bad for cancer. Kinda pricy around 2k, but cheap considering health benefits. I'm looking at the Athena h2 model which is the best performer on the Youtube. Humor me, and check your drinking water PH level. Look into this concept, it may save your life.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
This will NOT be a home remedy, but self medicating. For years, I have had several warts that would rise up, become crusted and fall off. They are/were ugly. I was told that warts were viruses. I was watching a commercial about treating cold sores and killing the causing virus. Bingo, I started applying Abreva as directed and the warts are almost gone. I didn't have to consult the FDA, CDC or a Dr.
Now, do I get royalties?
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Yes, you get royalties Airtandem. Check Youtube on this subject. I was wondering if anyone here has a water ionizer. Looking for honest people's opinion on this subject... not paid Youtubers. Just bringing the water subject to everyone's attention...for the good