Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Here's a good overview of what homeopathy is, to either read or listen to as a podcast:

Homeopathy: Pure Water or Pure Nonsense?
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Personally - I wouldn't trust anyone named "fast Eddie". Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I wouldn't either!

Some people like to think of me as a better looking Paul Newman!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Here's a good overview of what homeopathy is, to either read or listen to as a podcast:

Homeopathy: Pure Water or Pure Nonsense?
There is a great medicine named placebo, it does wonders in all clinical trials for a few Probably those vegetarians that believe the hype of free range vegetarian chicken eggs being marketed at wallyworld.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Streaminwild I do believe your thread has been hijacked even after a gentle warning. The downside of not having read the original post.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Streaminwild I do believe your thread has been hijacked even after a gentle warning. The downside of not having read the original post.
Original post needs to be renamed 'home remedies'
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Mill Valley , Left Coast
In a typical homeopathic dose I believe a 15C dilution dilutes the original compound 1X10^30 and the dose has less than 1X10^30 molecules in the package. So this means that the probability of the remedy having 1 part per 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 is not probable.
And this is supposed to do something?

JB
jbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Don't forget: it's magic!

Hence, even without a single molecule of the original compound, the water (or other solvent) "remembers" somehow.

Seriously, that's the thinking.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Incorrect - at 30C there are molecules

It would be the equivalent if a volume of the size of the solar system with 5 molecules distributed in that volume

Back to the post - honey can be used on wounds but as I recall they make like medical grade honey or something

Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Original post needs to be renamed 'home remedies'
Your right DaveFL..... Forum ''Gods'' mods can you make the change for us. So we can minimize debating and focus on staying healthy This thred is design for us to share our experiences on staying healthy. If anyone has benefited from this thred please share.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
What you are doing here is stretching your hamstring muscles which are the ones located on the back of your leg between your ankle and your knee, also referred to as your calf muscles. There are two other ways of doing this in addition to what you posted, one is to stand on a step with the edge of the step located just behind the ball of your foot and the middle, feet apart same width as your shoulders, relax your foot and let your heel drop slowly as far as you can and hold for a few seconds then lift your ankle as high as you can for a few seconds, repeat this process a couple of times each time letting your heal drop as far as possible and holding. This should be done at least once per day, you will find many of the leg cramps disappear, most the first time you do it.
The other method is the one I use most as I have back and knee problems which sometimes throws off my balance. Sit on the bed or floor place legs together straight out in front of you with feet and legs together toes pointed up, tip your feet so your toes point back towards you as far as possible, repeat as many times as necessary to give relief. This will also stretch the ham strings as well but not as good as the first one in the standing position.
Your exactly right SARGE/AF. After one stretch the pain was gone. And to think how long I lived with that sciatic pain.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #72

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Your right DaveFL..... Forum ''Gods'' mods can you make the change for us. So we can minimize debating and focus on staying healthy This thred is design for us to share our experiences on staying healthy. If anyone has benefited from this thred please share.
No problem, Changed the name.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
One home remedy that I find very useful as a parent of small children is living inside a biohazard suit.

You need not necessarily buy literally a level 4 biohazard suit that one may use to handle hot agents capable of high rates of mortality....but rather, I mean, you can improvise....although if your kids are coughing, have that disgusting snot constantly running, or they are with fever generally, then the level 4 suit is probably a good idea.

Also wear the suite when picking them up from daycare always...

This sort of strategy can greatly minimize catching various forms of infectious diseases from the cute little petri dishes that you created.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
For some symptoms described by some of my patients, I have really only wanted to prescribe a certain concoction they can make at home, but I am not sure it is entirely ethical or good customer service, so I keep it to myself...allow me to vent this option, if not for anything my own catharsis.

1tsp toughin-up syrup (TM) PO QID PRN

Old 02-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Your exactly right SARGE/AF. After one stretch the pain was gone. And to think how long I lived with that sciatic pain.
Tried these for the leg down to the ankle pain severe over two months. Went to Chiropractor who ordered an MRI - two herniated discs in L4 and L5, L5 is pushing into the spinal cavity and a fractured L4 vertebrate. "It will heal on it's own is what I get from medical doctors, and Chiro as well as Acupunter.

So far only relief is oral steriods, but those are only for 8 days. They all told me to do the exercises still to build up core strength and hamstring strength to take pressure of the back.

Time will tell,.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
One home remedy that I find very useful as a parent of small children is living inside a biohazard suit.

You need not necessarily buy literally a level 4 biohazard suit that one may use to handle hot agents capable of high rates of mortality....but rather, I mean, you can improvise....although if your kids are coughing, have that disgusting snot constantly running, or they are with fever generally, then the level 4 suit is probably a good idea.

Also wear the suite when picking them up from daycare always...

This sort of strategy can greatly minimize catching various forms of infectious diseases from the cute little petri dishes that you created.
LOL Pharm... I went to a county sponsored prevention seminar last fall and they said to stay 3 ' away from sick people.... Also at a cpr course, I found out that the expiration date on prescriptions means that the prescription would be at least 71% effective on that date. Is this right Pharm?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
For some symptoms described by some of my patients, I have really only wanted to prescribe a certain concoction they can make at home, but I am not sure it is entirely ethical or good customer service, so I keep it to myself...allow me to vent this option, if not for anything my own catharsis.

1tsp toughin-up syrup (TM) PO QID PRN
PG

On the contrary my friend, I would think it would be unethical and bad customer service if you knew of a certain concoction that they can make at home that WOULD BE EFFECTIVE and you didn't share it. I think as long as you aren't "practicing medicine" but simply making a suggestion as to something that would be helpful it would be very appreciated by many. So feel free to share those on this thread. I know that the pharmacists that I have had over the years that were making suggestions on things were always the folks that i respected and trusted the most. Just for what it's worth. Again, I am not an ethicist, nor to I play one on television, just adding my two cents worth

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:

But I would want him as short stop on a base ball team.... Thanks forum God Stephanie for the quick response to the title change....Remember, all the advice posted here is non-traditional remedies and life experiences. Pharm, you can use my identity for posting. My password is ....
Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
A number of years ago my son returned from 4 years with the Marine Corp, mostly at Subic Bay in the Philippines. My wife and I were in the process of moving to another house and we were staying in my son's upstairs bedroom. In the middle of the night my wife got leg cramps and I went down stairs to get her some water. As I was about to go back up the stairs, my son came out and asked what was wrong. I told him mom had cramps. He thought I said "crabs", and he went nuts yelling about how mom got crabs and in his bed. I told him to calm down, it was cramps, not crabs and to go back to sleep.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My ethics comment was tongue and cheek

As a pharmacist / it's not entirely uncommon that in some cases I am not recommending any "product" - but rather would suggest that time, fluids, rest, a humidifier, perhaps tea with honey etc is in order...I drink a lot of hot tea when I'm sick - I doubt it objectively helps but it soothes me greatly and to that degree it is highly effective.

Mostly if I am not recommending a particular "traditional pharmacological agent" or for the patient to be medically evaluated - it's an assumed self limiting condition such as "the common cold" for which we (science based medicine community) have no reliable way to effectively stop it in it's tracks.