Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Hittenstiehl's Meanderings

Do you ever want to post something that just doesn't fit into a topic and you don't want to hijack someone else's thread.

That happens to me on occasion. So based on that we are going to start our own thread just because. I chose the word Meanderings for a couple of reasons. First of all we are not on the road very much (yet) as we still work full time. We also work on an older house, two older Airstreams, help with family, etc. etc. you know the drill. Secondly, I do not write well, spell well or write very grammatically correct as both my mind and written thoughts tend to meander a bit. My DH calls it rambling but meander is my choice.

When you use the Airforums mostly on the phone application as I do there are some things you don't see. I don't do FB but am familiar with what a "like" button is and have heard of people on this forum talking about the "thanks" button. So I logged on today to the desktop to check on the photo thread and then looked around a bit.

I found the "Thanks" area and I would like to say Thank You or You are Welcome to the people (51 of you) who have said thank you over the last years to something I posted. I also saw 4 friend requests but not sure what happens if I answer them. If I posted to you or your thread I already consider you friendly and this is a very friendly forum so consider us friends.

This was/is our first foray into social media and it has been so informative in regards to our Airstream hobby and other areas of life. It is always refreshing to see how many people will go to lengths to post hints, tips and fixes when other Streamers are in a pinch or quandary. Of course it's always a flash back to reality when they start to disagree, then vehemently disagree then digress to worse.

But we are just people after all. Hittenstiehl's Meanderings

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Hittenstiehl!

This is a cool idea.

BTW, I don't ever use the thanks button....I usually just thank folks whose posts I like directly on that particular thread.

Maggie
Old 12-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Hi Maggie, I'm thankful for you

Hittenstiehl
Old 12-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
just today on the way home from a job, I pointed to the side of the road and said to my wife: look at this beautiful meandering creek...
I am all for meandering thoughts, they let you explore more than just linear thinking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meandering-rivers-2-728.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	254796  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Well then, we'll meander together.

Hittenstiehl
Old 12-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
So....We belong to the 4CU and we were headed to the Picacho Peak New Years Rally 45 minutes from us this evening. This would have been our 3rd time at PP but first time we actually made The New Years eve celebration portion due to work days.

Well....Life has that way of changing things up on you. One of my favorite sayings is:

"Nothing in life is constant but change"

So we are doing a slightly longer road trip instead, sans trailer, for a kind of unexpected family gathering.

We will be Airstream spotting instead and will lose count around Quartzite AZ where some of yet to meet Airforums friends are.

Headed to the beautiful Monterey Bay and if we have some down time we will be checking out some future camping spots that have been mentioned here.

Didn't see that turn in the route but we'll meander that direction as it's the one we're supposed to go in for now.

Hittenstiehl
Old 12-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
I'm with you, I meander, husband calls it rambling too, but I get the story told, my way. Kindred spirits, you and I.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
So....We belong to the 4CU and we were headed to the Picacho Peak New Years Rally 45 minutes from us this evening. This would have been our 3rd time at PP but first time we actually made The New Years eve celebration portion due to work days.

Well....Life has that way of changing things up on you. One of my favorite sayings is:

"Nothing in life is constant but change"

So we are doing a slightly longer road trip instead, sans trailer, for a kind of unexpected family gathering.

We will be Airstream spotting instead and will lose count around Quartzite AZ where some of yet to meet Airforums friends are.

Headed to the beautiful Monterey Bay and if we have some down time we will be checking out some future camping spots that have been mentioned here.

Didn't see that turn in the route but we'll meander that direction as it's the one we're supposed to go in for now.
Hmmm....hope all is well.

Monterey Bay is certainly beautiful.

Have a safe trip.

Maggie
Old 01-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Completed a safe trip, Phx - Monterey and back. Saw maybe 6 Airstreams on the road and also spotted a couple of Interstates but they sure are hard to see if the Airstream logo isn't in the front top. Funerals are sad but if a family is spread out that and weddings are when you see each other.

Drove in those heavy pouring rains for half the distance and glad we left early. Beautiful snow dusting in the San Gabriel's to Palm Springs.

Time to rid the house of the holidays and get set for a New Year. Hard to believe we've been in our new old house for a year already. Hoping to improve our number of Airstream outings while balancing DIY, family, work and leisure.

Meandering

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Had a great weekend and crossed a major project off the to do list.

With friends, scaffolding and power tools we deconstructed our ginormous interior fireplace.

It was non load bearing, 4x6x15 and set between two rooms effectively cutting them in half. Lots of dust, trips to the dump and laughs. No friends were injured in this demo.

Before and After
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1453909410509.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	256396   Click image for larger version

Name:	1453909428541.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	256397  

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm....a big project!

My first thought was....no fireplace?

Are you going to add something smaller and more space efficient, but still charming and emitting all the heart-and-soul-warming glory of a fire...like a little woodstove?

Hmmm?

Maggie
Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Like the beautiful wood stove you have. No replacement going in.

It came out because of sheer size and we had major roof leaks associated with it.

Not much need for it here. We have had years where we never turned the heat on in the winter. This house is not so well insulated and this winter was colder so we'll see how often the heat comes on now. We also have so many burn restrictions here in the winter that it just isn't worth it. The past 5 years, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years have all been no burn days.

We have another fireplace tucked into the corner of the bedroom and it will likely stay. It isn't in the way and may get an occasional lighting.

Love seeing yours lit up though.

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ahhhh.....leaking is not good, and you have a back up fireplace should the need for fire strike you.

You have a new and very roomy space, now....oh, the things you can do with all of that.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Just had a great rally outing this weekend with our Four Corners Unit. We have been working lots on our house and having lots of company this past year.

We had missed the Thanksgiving outing as it was out of state this year and we missed the New Years outing for family funeral. So we were really ready for a rally.

We stayed in LoLo Mai RV Park in Page Springs (by Cottonwood). Great weather, Oak Creek running swift from snow melt and great evening fires.

This rally is Mardi Gras themed. Jambalaya, king cake, zydeco and beads.

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Missed the rally this weekend. Really wanted to be there being a relatively new member. Looking at DeAnza to connect with the group. Glad it was a good time at LoLoMai!
Rick from Portland
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rick, we are going to try for the April DeAnza gathering also. It's a new Rally for 4CU but likely be the same old thing.

Friendly people, good pot luck, bright fire and casual hanging out.

Look forward to meeting you.

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
In the desert, Kartchner Caverns AZ. Beautiful, breezy, 70 at night with a partially covered moon. With us there are 5 Airstreams here and that's just in the west loop. Have to walk around and day hi tomorrow.

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds lovely.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sunrise, Kartchner Caverns. What a nice place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1455902701732.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	257527  

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Took two tours at Kartchner Caverns State Park. The wonders of this world always astound.

What a nice campground with spotless restrooms.

Me several of the Airstreamer's, a lovely couple from Washington, orchard owners, in a 68 GT. Also met a nice couple from Oregon, owners of Ana Reservoir Campgrounds. They also had a set of Kermit chairs they let us try out. Quite comfortable for a quick sit and very lovely to look at.

We have been admiring the chairs after reading about them on the Chair Mulling thread and checking them out online.

Moving on to Organ Pipe NM.

Hittenstiehl