Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Highland Haven Open - Crazy Rumor

Ugly Rumor - NOT TRUE
Rumor: "Highland Haven Closed because of bad water" ... NOT TRUE

Don Shafer, past president of WBCCI, has let us know someone has spread a malicious rumor. Why? Who could even imagine?

Our mountain water is pure and tested every season by Bluewater Testing and we are enjoying our 41st season.

Richard Kushman
President
Highland Haven Airstream Park
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Richard, good to hear! Thanks for keeping us posted. I hear so many good things about Highland Haven.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
I'm here currently and all is very well!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Ya know what they say...$h!t flows downhill. If that's the case then Highland Hills is protected for many years to come. We've only stayed once, but we hope that Highland Hills remains for many years to come. It's a great place to stay.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
I'm here currently and all is very well!
Hey Stewart -- good for you! Anything to recommend about local sights? Know that we sure enjoyed eastern Kentucky a couple years back! This area could be a real destination for us snowbirds.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Stewart,

A big "Howdy" you everyone at HH from the road! Annie and I are looking forward to "Stockholder's Weekend" and the cool mountain air this Fall.

Give our love to Julie. Her garden looked wonderful when I came up to pick up our trailer.

Dick
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We stayed at Highland Haven for the first time this past May. It is terrific. Go on down to Floyd on a Friday night to the Country Store where you will sample a bit of the region's musical heritage. Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Hey Stewart -- good for you! Anything to recommend about local sights? Know that we sure enjoyed eastern Kentucky a couple years back! This area could be a real destination for us snowbirds.
Just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great touring, biking and hiking! Floyd for bluegrass music and Roanoke if you are interested in a more cosmopolitan flair! And cooler than the flatlands during the summer!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Should you enjoy a night out for dining and music try Oddfellas in Floyd. Live music while you dine that might feature a solo artist or a small group playing a wide variety from bluegrass to blues. Natasha's is another nice spot that opened recently in Floyd. All serve wine and beer. Check em out. Don't forget Fridays at the Floyd Country Store. This is not to be missed. Grab an ice cream cone and watch the dancers strutting to the hill music or try it for yourself. Whatever you do, go over one night and have fun.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Concord , North Carolina
For a great cheeseburger (yes... chili, slaw, onion, pickles) and cold draft beer, plus great friendly people, check out Tuggles Gap Restaurant at the intersection of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Highway 8 (MP 165.2). Then hike it off on the trails at Rocky Knob on the BRP.
Don't miss the local wineries, too. Near Tuggles Gap and along the BRR is Chateau Morrisette (retail, tour and lunch) and Villa Applachia.
Harvest Moon is a great healthy grocery, located on Hwy. 8 northeast of the (one) stoplight, toward Christiansburg/Blacksburg.
Enjoy!
loriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

October special at Highland Haven

Check the calendar and our website!

Highland Haven
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
We will be there this coming Sunday and Monday. Look forward to getting out this Florida heat!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Please help me get un-confused.
You are showing a Fall Special (the month of October) and there was scheduled and then cancelled a get-together the last weekend of the month.
Is the get-together ON or OFF the schedule?
We signed up to attend and would love to be there but we're confused.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Just a suggestion... since you have a web site, I suggest scanning the water quality test results and posting them. As someone in business of running a public water system, terms like "pure" and "mountain water" are nice for marketing, but they aren't a substitute for the actual testing data. Water from wells in "pristine" locations can have constituents and contaminants. In fact, the next big issue in water treatment concerns microconstituents. Things like caffeine and steriods are so ubiquitous that trace amounts (ppb) have been found in remote locations far from direct human influence. I'm not saying your water system has any of these... but I wouldn't claim any water system in the lower 48 is "pure," even one caught from a melting glacier at 12,000.

Spreading a rumor about your business being closed is just mean-spirited nastiness... but the best response is factual data. Public water systems are required to produce a consumer confidence report every year, explaining exactly what is in any given water supply. While 99.9 of your customers will take you at your world about the water at your park, addressing the .01 is a pretty easy and cheap fix.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
I too am confused. We had signed up for the now cancelled get-together only to be told via email the following:

1. Shareholders voted to close the park on Oct. 15.
2. Water would be off by the 14th.
3. The park would hold off on cutting off the electricity until the last minute.

What does this mean-Fall Special End of October?

Kathy
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

The board of directors never voted to close the park early this year.
We will be open until October 31st weather permitting.
Water will remain on until near the end. (last day or two).
Electricity will be on until the end.
The Gathering as originally planned has been canceled by the stockholder running the event.
The park has decided to offer a special rate for the entire month of October.

Very nice discount - so come and enjoy the Highlands this coming October.

Richard Kushman
President
Highland Haven Airstream Park
Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
I was contacted by Thomas Auh on 7-15-10. He stated via email that the stockholders as a group voted to close on Oct. 15th. (and gave me the additional information I included in my previous post) So Abe cancelled the get-together?

Kathy
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriday View Post
For a great cheeseburger (yes... chili, slaw, onion, pickles) and cold draft beer, plus great friendly people, check out Tuggles Gap Restaurant at the intersection of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Highway 8 (MP 165.2). Then hike it off on the trails at Rocky Knob on the BRP.
Don't miss the local wineries, too. Near Tuggles Gap and along the BRR is Chateau Morrisette (retail, tour and lunch) and Villa Applachia.
Harvest Moon is a great healthy grocery, located on Hwy. 8 northeast of the (one) stoplight, toward Christiansburg/Blacksburg.
Enjoy!
Harvest Moon is a local favorite and now, recently added to the upstairs is a wonderful new restaurant, NATASHA'S. We've been on several occasions and just think it's a wonderful evening dining experience. Give it a try when you come visit our mountaintop.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Kathy,

I remember Tom (Tom Au) mentioning returning a call regarding the event.
I did send out a poll to all the stockholders asking their opinion regarding when to close. The results heavily favored a closing date of October 15th. The board decided to remain open as we had planned this season until October 31st because we do have several stockholders willing to stay and properly close the park and we want to honor any reservations. Next year we may very well close on the 15th considering how the stockholder's voted but the next board of directors will make that decision.

Yes - Abe sent an email canceling the gathering - he was the contact and had planned the event.

Rich