Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Question Hide a key?

OK, Lesson learned from my thread and lost keys...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...01-post31.html

So how many of you actually have a backup plan or a hide a key for your tow vehicle and/or Airstream? How many of you have locked yourself out and did something to prevent it for happening again? Now we don't need to know you secrets or where you hide your keys, so keep details like that to yourselves, but I am looking at something like this for the Airstream. Since I have a bike cable that loops thru the frame and handles of the propane tanks, I can attach this and put a key or too inside this little keeper without having to worry about the security being comprimised:

http://www.keylockbox.com/

Now I just need to figure out something for the Excursion!

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have a complete set in my vehicle for every lock that I may use with my vehicle. That includes padlocks, hitch locks, ATV, trailer and an extra key for my truck. For the possible loss of my key that I carry, there is one hid outside my truck. You will never find it, I had a friend make it back to the truck before I did in a blinding rain storm in Colorado while hunting. I had to take shelter across a creek as the water rose too fast for me to cross. I had him on the radio and told him where to look - and still he could not see it. There are places, keep looking.

Advice - wrap the key in electrical tape to remove the contrast to the underside of your vehicle. Use a wire-tie (black) and you can put the key in very tight places. Don't forget where you put it. Don't tell anyone where it is.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
I have a complete set in my vehicle for every lock that I may use with my vehicle. That includes padlocks, hitch locks, ATV, trailer and an extra key for my truck. For the possible loss of my key that I carry, there is one hid outside my truck. You will never find it, I had a friend make it back to the truck before I did in a blinding rain storm in Colorado while hunting. I had to take shelter across a creek as the water rose too fast for me to cross. I had him on the radio and told him where to look - and still he could not see it. There are places, keep looking.

Advice - wrap the key in electrical tape to remove the contrast to the underside of your vehicle. Use a wire-tie (black) and you can put the key in very tight places. Don't forget where you put it. Don't tell anyone where it is.
Good idea on the tape to hide the contrast... kinda like camouflage for the key!!

Since I have a keypad on the door Excursion, I thought about hiding a ignition key inside the truck, but then I thought about power loss/dead battery that would render the keyless useless, so I think outside is still the best bet. I need to crawl around and look for a spot.

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
My grandfather had a nifty spot he would hide his spares....he would bolt them on the two bottom screw holes of his license plate, one on each side and he had a tiny screwdriver duck taped in the middle of the plate.
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Portland , OR
I just put a magnetic hide-a-key on my truck. A policeman who was helping me with a lockout this winter said that in his 22 years of policework, he had never encountered, or heard of, a vehicle that was stolen using a hide-a-key.
mytehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I use a similar system, but it is glued to the frame (somewhere ) and the key is in a Velcro pack that detaches. All black....of course and keeps the key clean for use.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
This reminds me - I only have one key to the Caravel for the door lock. It's the original Bargman key - who makes copies? Does Wally World make these keys or do I have to go to a locksmith?
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytehawk
I just put a magnetic hide-a-key on my truck. A policeman who was helping me with a lockout this winter said that in his 22 years of policework, he had never encountered, or heard of, a vehicle that was stolen using a hide-a-key.
Wow! I guess the anti-theft protection for the tow vehicle of placing the TT key on the TV is a big bonus!

Seriously though I have had to call the locksmith in Florida too to get back in after accidently pulling the sliding latch while closing the door. This has happened to me several times so far, only now I make sure to have extra keys in the TV and the Expy has a keypad for entry. This is a great reminder and good insurance for minimal effort and expense. If hubby took the truck away I might be standing outside in my jamies letting the dog out some morning!! Some really good ideas here in this thread.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great ideas here! Thanks for posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Since I have a bike cable that loops thru the frame and handles of the propane tanks, I can attach this and put a key or too inside this little keeper without having to worry about the security being comprimised:http://www.keylockbox.com/Kevin
Kudos on the thread. I like the little keylock box thing for the trailer --have to run it by hubby for sure. Great peace of mind!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I use a "realtor-type" key box pop-riveted in an out-of-sight place. I chose a code that can be entered in the dark.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Bargman keys (for the Caravel)

Todays project was to get the rear compartment open and get a key for the main door. AND, install some type of dead bolt on the main door to keep it from the fly open on the road problem.

The local lock shop had Bargman key blanks hanging on a peg. That part is done. The rear compartment needed to be picked open. That took about 5 seconds. The new key was off the Ford key blank rack.

I was out of there in about 45 minutes with lots of spare keys to boot. The dead bolt for the main remains a problem. Anyone out there have an idea or source?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There used to be a old guy who came to all the international and lived at Traveler's Rest. He converted household locks by cutting the slide bolt in half to allow it to fit in the narrow door jam. It worked well for the 60's and70's trailers. He only charged $15 for the lock and to put it in. I have not seen him reccently.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
When I started to read this thread I began to think of where I hid the extra key on Chummy and can not remember. Somewhere on the frame or under a wheel is an extra key but for the life of me I have no idea of where it could be.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
When I started to read this thread I began to think of where I hid the extra key on Chummy and can not remember. Somewhere on the frame or under a wheel is an extra key but for the life of me I have no idea of where it could be.
lol...too funny Chaplain...must be a guy thing...my husband's always putting stuff in a safe place and can never recall where that safe place is.

Maybe a note in the wallet might help in your case.......good luck with your search...thank God it's not in that dashboard
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--I have a complete set of all A/S and house keys in my tool box which is always in my Suburban, which is always with my A/S when we travel, and my Suburban is always within walking distance of me. Hasn't failed yet, and requires no special fixtures.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #16
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
When I had the locksmith come to make me a key for the deadlbolt installed in the handle, he was enthused about the lock. He said that Schlages of the era (1979) were some of the best locks, in his opinion, ever made, and that he could not pick it. That might be hyperbole, but he took the removed cylinder back to his truck and worked on it for thirty minutes before he produced a key.

One these is with the truck key somewhere on my truck.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I drill out a key for an outside compartment and put it on the threaded rod under the propane hold down. Extra keys are in the compartment. Easiest way to hide a TV key is to cut the head so that it is one long skinny piece of metal and tape it into wire loom under the back bumper.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote