Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
gettysburg , Pennsylvania
hershey rv show

Hershey rv show is the country's largest yet they have never had one airstream out of 1000 campers these last couple years. Very disappointing Anyway it starts tomorrow, if anyone is interested.
gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If I remember right the marketing individual Airstream hired last sold underwear. You don't have to go to Shows to sell underwear.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Many years ago, Airstream had a sales manager that stated they do not need any dealers, as the trailer sells itself on any street corner.

But that was back in the days when Airstream sold a little over 100 trailers, every week.

Needless to say, he didn't last very long.

But, maybe Airstream doesn't want to expose the trailers to all that chocolate that's in Hershey??

There must be some answer that's impossible to make sense out of.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
a few years ago i visited the hershey rv show and they had 3 or 4 small airstreams.they had lots of tire kickers,but alot of people were "sticker shocked"when they saw the price of the airstream.the pa dealer has the right to represent airstream at this show,the way i understand it.however this dealer is too small.they need a dealer like colonial in nj to show a major presence at this show.i think franchise wise there is a restriction on a nj dealer comming to a pa show,but i could be wrong.at a show like this you need to have the whole product line available for people to see.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Lightbulb Missing The Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Many years ago, Airstream had a sales manager that stated they do not need any dealers, as the trailer sells itself on any street corner.
But that was back in the days when Airstream sold a little over 100 trailers, every week.
Needless to say, he didn't last very long.
But, maybe Airstream doesn't want to expose the trailers to all that chocolate that's in Hershey??

There must be some answer that's impossible to make sense out of.
Andy
MMMM an airstream full of Hershey kisses I think Wally would approve.

I work with a consulting group that took a look at the company as a training tool for new hires (they thought mine was cool) and they feel airstream is missing the boat over some simple product changes and marketing basics. They came to the conclusion that airstream could increase volume by 25% while retaining profit line, making dealers very happy campers. Like so many other highline products, the aura of the past is not conducive to performing in the current market place.

I remember buying a Sea Ray boat because I caught one at an event, and they were all the money. Then I bought five more, got hooked.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Colonial is at Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburg View Post
Hershey rv show is the country's largest yet they have never had one airstream out of 1000 campers these last couple years. Very disappointing Anyway it starts tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

Colonial is at this show. See the site under "Booths" not sure what they're showing however.

Exhibitor List
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
When I lived in New York, I used to grab a Navion from the West Point Flying Club and fly down to Hershey to visit my folks who lived near Harrisburg. You can smell the chocolate from 3000' over the city.

When I was a kid, we had an annual church picnic at Hershey Park. In high school, I used to take my date to the threater in Hershey where they had a bona fide 3-manual pipe organ that rose up out of the pit in front of the stage.

You will see blocks and blocks of identical houses that were built by Milton Hershey for his workers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
airconditioner,thats strange that colonial can have a booth,but their not an exhibitor??when i was there several years ago the booths were inside and the exhibitors were setup outside.i guess with thor there is not much dealer support with these types of events anymore.i need to go next year to this show to keep up to speed with whats going on.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
When I lived in New York, I used to grab a Navion from the West Point Flying Club and fly down to Hershey to visit my folks who lived near Harrisburg. You can smell the chocolate from 3000' over the city.
Ah yes, another Navion pilot.

Not a very fast plane, but a very rugged one, with tons of visibility.

Also one of the few single engine aircraft that has enough room between the front seats so that a person could easily change from the front to the back seats, or the other way too.

How many hours do you have as PIC with the Navion?

I have a little over 1200 hours, of which more than half, was night time cross country.

Sure miss that fun and travels.

Our country takes on a very different beautiful look, when your a few thousand feet above the ground, in a small aircraft, and especially on a full moon night, with no clouds. Ah yes, and then comes the let down in all to many places, when the sun shines.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I thought someone had previously mentioned that since Airstream doesn't actually have a dealer in PA, there was some legal issue about showing the trailers there. Not sure of the validity of that (or if it makes sense)...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote