Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
HELP! Am I being targeted as a scam????

I have my Argosy on ebay, and the current high bidder has a little icon next to their name that links you to a statement saying"
<LI class=desc>This out of country seller has been taking over accounts. This seller lists Airstream travel trailers, boats, and many other items at well below their value. The bidder is instructed to contact the seller via..."
YIKES! Am I just worrying, or am I being targeted as a scam? Help, please! Maybe they are just bidding, and that shows up every time they bid? Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
Old 08-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
There is a place at ebay to send messages regarding fraud or suspected it is spoof@ebay.com i have sent them emails that i have recieved and they promptly checked them out and notifyed me of there findings....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
yes

it looks that way, since the title of that statement is "airstream scam". Read it again, it is trying to warn you of a known scammer.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You are very likely about to be scammed.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I think this eBay user is one of several that has written warnings, reviews, or guides regarding Airstream scams, maybe based on experience with the scammers. Check this link:http://search.reviews.ebay.com/_Trav...tZ50063QQuqtZg. There are several including your bidder that have written similar warnings. I may be wrong, but I think your bidder simply has that tag because they wrote something that eBay considers a "review". But I could be wrong . . .
Old 08-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
I think this eBay user is one of several that has written warnings, reviews, or guides regarding Airstream scams, maybe based on experience with the scammers. Check this link:http://search.reviews.ebay.com/_Trav...tZ50063QQuqtZg. There are several including your bidder that have written similar warnings. I may be wrong, but I think your bidder simply has that tag because they wrote something that eBay considers a "review". But I could be wrong . . .
I believe this to be correct interpretation,
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have a question about it, you can contact Ebay, and ask them what the tag means, although I think it means the person is possibly involved with the verification of auctions (in a positive way).
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
yeah, that review must normally be attached to something else, like a screen capture or something, to explain the "This seller is ...".
Old 08-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I'd definately contact Ebay and question them about this...your potential buyers may get nervous by the warning if they click on it thinking your the scammer and not bid. It looks like it could go either way as a warning....I've never seen that before...hopefully it's all good. Keep us posted what Ebay has to say and good luck with your sale...nice Argosy!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I contacted Ebay, and was told that several people have written articles, which are included within Ebay, to help potential fraud victims. The person bidding on your coach is one of those people.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How could someone with 6 transactions be a 1000+reviewer. Doesn't add up. I suspect they are attempting to limit bidding and would raise hell with ebay. It sure gives the impression you are a bad seller and will discourage bidding, to his advantage.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
How could someone with 6 transactions be a 1000+reviewer. Doesn't add up.....
He's a top 1000 reviewer based on the number or percentage of helpful votes he's received. I bet he bids on the bogus auctions hoping that following bidders will read his "guide" and be clued into the scammers "MO". Anybody following the Ebay Scams thread would be familiar with this overseas jerk. His warehouse is in NJ somewhere but sorry you can't go look at the 8k pristine Bambi before bidding...

Here's the full Airstream Scam Ebay Guide

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thank-you for all the replies! This is what I did : I contacted ebay's live chat, who referred me to write an email to the ebay security center. This is my email:
I have a travel trailer listed for sale, Item number: 270021991321. This IS my legitimate auction. However, the high bidder at this point, has a icon next to their feedback, that says"Top 1000 reviewer". Then when you click on that link, it takes you to part of his review, which states "This out of country seller has been taking over accounts. This seller lists Airstream travel trailers, boats, and many other items at well below their value. The bidder is instructed to contact the seller via..."
I assume that probably this bidder is a legimate bidder who just happened to have written a review, so it shows up next to his name. However, I am concerned that might deter other bidders, because it makes it sound like I am an out of country seller. I am concerned because it could be taken either way, and as this IS my legimate auction, I don't want it to be associated with a scam! Please advise whether it is just normal for bidders who have written reviews to have it noted next to their name, or if I need to be concerned.
Again, this auction is MY auction, so I don't want someone reporting it as a scam because of this confusing link!!!
thank-you Carrie Welch aka Foundennie

We will see how long it takes ebay to reply. I hope to heaven they don't just skim the email, assume it is a scam auction, and delete it!!!!!! What a stress...thanks for the help on here!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Another note: I would assume that this was just a legimate bidder, except I wrote them an email through ebay's email system 2 days ago, and they have not replied! That made me more worried. I mean, if YOU were bidding on an Airstream/Argosy, wouldn't you check it every day? I guess there could be work issues, computer down, etc. that has prevented them from replying...but that does not help me stop worrying!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies
Another note: I would assume that this was just a legimate bidder, except I wrote them an email through ebay's email system 2 days ago, and they have not replied! That made me more worried. I mean, if YOU were bidding on an Airstream/Argosy, wouldn't you check it every day? I guess there could be work issues, computer down, etc. that has prevented them from replying...but that does not help me stop worrying!
Maybe not, I have bid on some big items and do not check back until the end of the auction for fear I may up my bid and pay to much. The last 30 seconds is the only importnat time of the auction anyway.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies
I'm amazed at how many people don't check their email regularly. He may be one of them, and since he's not the one who initiated the email he's not necessarily expecting anything from you about the Argosy. Lots of people including myself may make a bid then not revisit the item until just minutes before the auction ends. But this is a big ticket item. Of course, his behavior wouldn't make me feel any better either. I know you must feel like you're on pins and needles.

Sorry Jim, I just about stepped on your post!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Smile ebay posting of Airstream

Don't think you are a victim of scam; think you are a victim of poor writing.

I called the "secret" number that ebay provides for heavy users to call customer support and asked about this newbie and the message. The customer rep thinks that he had written another review about a different item and that is carrying over to your item via the icon for top posting.

We considered the fact that any potential bidder reading that post that says "this seller...." may be afraid to bid even if otherwise inclined to do so. He suggested that you might want to cancel this bid and bar him from your auction.

That still will not un-do any damage already done, but it will get rid of this guy. Everyone worries about newbies with almost no history bidding on higher priced ebay items.

Sorry you haven't heard from the ebay chat. That is for me at least, almost worthless. A better way is to call the "secret" resolution number, which is 800-717-EBAY. Use it.

Please let us know and good luck.

Waynon

PS. Sure you don't want to keep this? It looks nice.
Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
This is Ebay's Seller help page....if you need to make the decision to cancel your bidders bid here is where you can do so...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:20 PM   #19
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
I believe that your buyer is seriously looking for an Airstream. But you may can his bids to limit the problems he may cause. Check out his recent bid history:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture 4.pdf (135.9 KB, 112 views)
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
I hate to cancel his bids if he truly is interested....

sfixx....how do I open that picture link?

Waynon: thank you for the secret number! I am working my way up to a big Airstream...one that will fit all ten of my children, husband and me! this one is a little small...

Everyone thanks for your reassurance!