Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
Question Help!, abbreviations

I'm old, please be kind. I would like to know the meaning of the airstream abbreviations I see on the various sales materials and airforum discussions, ie., SS, SE, CCD, OEM, FB, LS, SO,Excella, there are many more. Another of my personal mysteries is the terms used: bambi, safari, sport, international, I get confused when the ad says things like, International limited, Bambi international. It seems that bambi is a model but so is the international, I saw a discription of safari sport. However when I went to a dealer to pick my Airstream he had several "Sport" models. They were simply "Sport", I'm lost. My final request concerns the model "basecamp", do they sell many of these?
Shiny metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Thank you for the post today. I will try to make it as simple as I can:

“LS” was a package available on Safari models the package included: Spare Tire, Fantastic Fan, No Fuss Flush Black Tank Rinsing System, Aquajet Water Pump, Cast Aluminum Taillights, Electric Hitch Jack, 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner W/Heat Pump, Screen Door Guards, "One Touch Classic" Galley Faucet W/Separate sprayer. This package became standard in the late 2007 Airstream Safari and Safari SE production.

19C NB, 20C NB, & 23C NB refers to the “Corner Bath” “Narrow Body”. This is used on the 19'C 20'C and 23'C models.

“SS” is a 25' floor plan that sleeps 6, has a corner bed and corner bath, sofa sleeper, and a dinette that folds down into a bed. The model is also known as the Studio Sleeper or Sleeps Six Model. This model was introduced in the Safari line in 1998 and was one of the first 25’ Airstreams to sleep up to six people. The floor plan is still available today as an International and still bears the name Six Sleeper although there are other 25’ floor plans that will also sleep six.

CCD is an International model trailer that Christopher C Deam, a famous designer and architect designed. It started in late 2002 as a 22’ model and shortly afterwards was expanded to 16 Bambi,19 Bambi,25 SS and 28W floor plans and later on thy added the 23’D, 25’FB and 27’FB floor plans. In late 2007 production Airstream and Christopher Deam gave the model a facelift and renamed it the International Signature Series CCD.

Safari is a base model Airstream trailer introduced in 1998 and produced through 2008 and offered in various floor plans. In late 2005 production, Airstream introduced an upgrade package "SE" or "Special Edition" to the Safari which included Aluminum Interior Skin, Classic/International Style Windows, Panoramic Front Windows, Aluminum Blinds, Halogen Interior Lighting and a Vista View Window. The SE upgrade package was so popular it became a model called the Safari SE for the 2008 production.

For 2009 Airstream dropped the Safari SE name plate and renamed it the Flying Cloud and gave it a fresh new look and some enhancements. The Base model Safari models were also discontinued. The Safari Sport became the Sport and was also enhanced and a new 22’Fb floor plan was added.

Today Bambi is a nickname for a 16' or 19' Airstream travel trailer. From
1998 - 2003 it was a model name and came in 16' and 19' floor plans. Please take a look at the Evolution of the Bambi page I have on my website. Colonial Airstream - Evolution of the Airstream Bambi Travel Trailer 1998- 2009

OEM is the original manufacturer of a component for a product

SO is Slide-Out

Limited was a model of an Airstream which was a larger more enhanced Excella. In 2002 the Excella was renamed the Classic. Limited then became an upgrade package for the Classic product line and then a model in the Classic line called the Classic Limted
Old 04-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Shiney, welcome to the Forum. I'm old too and was confused at first by all the abbrev. Some of them are internet standards such as IMO (in my opinion) and IMHO (in my humble opinion). As you can see, some people are more humble than others.

Because Airstream keeps changing trim lines and names, the company compounds the confusion. For example, Flying Clouds (FC) were produced more than a generation ago and the name has been resurrected. Safari has shown up from time to time too. Trim lines (FC, International, Classic) are blurred from time to time. When we bought our Safari SE it seemed pretty similar to an International, but cheaper. Various letters can refer to various styles of beds and other different floor plans. They also change frequently and mystify me.

Basecamp: this is a minitrailer that looks cool to some people, but not enough people to sell very well. It's got the bare minimum, costs a lot and can be towed by a car.

DWR: Design Within Reach is a very expensive version of the 16' trailer everyone calls a Bambi. Both DWR and Basecamp and all the other models or trim lines (same to me) can be found on the Airstream website.

Since Airstreams are hand made and the factory has never produced that many, the company has many, many individual lines and versions of lines. Understanding all this is difficult. Since the history of this company is important to most of us, trying to grasp all of it is a long term study.

TV = tow vehicle as well as television. You can tell from the context (usually).

WD = weight distributing as in WD hitch. People often refer to the object at the back of the TV as a hitch also, but it is a hitch receiver and should be a WD hitch receiver.

FB = Front bed. These are the most popular models in recent years.

To make things more interesting people make up their own abbreviations. So 2air (short for 2airishuman) coined HaHa which refers to the Hensley WD hitch.

Like any new dialect, it takes time, but you'll get it after a while, and you can make up your own.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
Thank you Pat & Gene. I'll continue mu studies. Wishing you both the best.
Shiny metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a lot of abbreviations just in these forums! Just what is lol for example. ?? We need a list for newbies somewhere.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
There are a lot of abbreviations just in these forums! Just what is lol for example. ?? We need a list for newbies somewhere.
Standard Internet/text/email for Laugh Out Loud. I have had it literally happen to me from some posts. (This is a LOL icon, )
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks! We are not only somewhat old but very much "fogies", according to our kids. We do not text, facebook, youtube, myspace, twitter, etc., etc., so are not privy to those learning curves.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet From the Internet Stone Age

Quote:
Thanks! We are not only somewhat old but very much "fogies", according to our kids. We do not text, facebook, youtube, myspace, twitter, etc., etc., so are not privy to those learning curves.
I can remember it prior to the World Wide Web when all Internet communication was text. Internet Relay Chat (IRC) was the standard for communication. Files were transferred (and still commonly are) using File Transfer Protocol (FTP). The web browsers we use today are based on Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP, the first T is from Hypertext [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP]) and is the source of the http:// part of web addresses.

A lot of these acronyms come from the early IRC and AOL days.

By The Way (BTW) I don't text, facebook, youtube, myspace, twitter, etc., etc., either.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, too much information. My eyes are starting to cross.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
You mean, TMI.

What about the emoticons? I must be too old for those. Not sure what they all mean either.

Gene
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Snafu....

Quote:

POO....I'm with you.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Thanks for asking

Hi,

I'm glad you asked - because although I'd figured out some of them, there was a lot I didn't know (still don't). Thanks too to Patrick at Colonial for his post in this thread - it's very helpful.

I don't do text, twitter, etc. either - I'd rather be camping, getting ready to go camping, or cleaning up after camping or learning things on the forums.

And welcome! This is a great place - if you want to know ask - somebody does and will help.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There's also SOB, RM100, AC, DC, DP, DH, DW, DD...
Some Other Brand
A common Dometic fridge
Alternating Current
Direct Current
Dual Power
Dear Husband
Dear Wife
Dear Daughter...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
You mean, TMI.

What about the emoticons? I must be too old for those. Not sure what they all mean either.

Gene

TMI ??? POO ???

I really love the emoticons, they are self-explanatory and always get a giggle out of me. I try not to overuse them, which I can very easily do because they are so darned cute!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
TMI ??? POO ???

I really love the emoticons, they are self-explanatory and always get a giggle out of me. I try not to overuse them, which I can very easily do because they are so darned cute!
I guess I'm not into cute.

TMI = too much information

POO? PO is previous owner, maybe POO (besides the obvious), previous owner's otter??

BWBW = big white box on wheels

Today's test questions—WBCCI, MAL, FCU, WDCU (and there's plenty more in that area).

Gene
Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
This has got to be one of the best threads I've run across in the year and a half I've been 'streaming. I've enjoyed and learned something from nearly every comment. I've stumbled along with these "shorthand" comments since the beginning and I've gradually picked up on their meanings - but not all of them. Too bad we've had to learn the new language but think about those folks that have avoided the computer!!! I know several of them and I've got to feel sorry for them cause it's not going to get any better. I even met a thirty something year old man, here in Ohio, that doesn't drive! I understand it for those that live in New York or other major urban area but in Ohio??? I'm glad traveling season is back! Time to get the 25' International SS OB out of storage, re-stocked, charged up and ready to hit the road. Welcome to the FORUMS and keep your questions flowing. Heaven knows, there are MANY answers on these pages. Good luck streaming and some day, maybe one or two of us meet on the road.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
WBCCI=Wally Byam Caravan Club International.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you like this one, you'll love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
This has got to be one of the best threads I've run across in the year and a half I've been 'streaming. I've enjoyed and learned something from nearly every comment. I've stumbled along with these "shorthand" comments since the beginning and I've gradually picked up on their meanings - but not all of them. Too bad we've had to learn the new language but think about those folks that have avoided the computer!!! I know several of them and I've got to feel sorry for them cause it's not going to get any better. I even met a thirty something year old man, here in Ohio, that doesn't drive! I understand it for those that live in New York or other major urban area but in Ohio??? I'm glad traveling season is back! Time to get the 25' International SS OB out of storage, re-stocked, charged up and ready to hit the road. Welcome to the FORUMS and keep your questions flowing. Heaven knows, there are MANY answers on these pages. Good luck streaming and some day, maybe one or two of us meet on the road.
here's one I keep bringing out. It was done tongue-in-chique, but pretty amusing:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...logy-7597.html