Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Thanks again, I hate to be the dumb blond when the repair guy shows up, "Lookie here lady, we're going to have to cut the trailer in half to get the frig out. Just throw a tarp over the roof with a few rocks on top. We'll keep trying to put in some old junk parts until we find the magic one. Sorry we can't give you any warranty on anything, you'll just have to trust us......"

Which brings up the oven problem... If the trouble is that the fuel mixture is too rich, how do I go about adjusting it? Or will that likely blow me to smitheens and then we don't have to worry about the frig anymore?

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

bonham , Texas
Hello everyone
fst64_v8pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Carol, I have the owners manual for mine, believe it or not, and it has instructions for the adjustments and a picture for clarity. I can't type it out here and now, but in the morning I can scan it and post it for you. Yours is a '66 but I doubt there's any serious difference between the two. In any case, you can show it to a repairperson if you decide it's not your cup of tea.
You sound like you've dealt with some repair people before. I can only wish you luck and hope that you pick a winner!

Please keep me informed of your progress here.
Rich the Viking

P.S. Hi fst64 v8pwr, Welcome to you!
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Thank you, thank you. My repair guy just called and he is coming out Friday. He said that if it is not the air/fuel mixture that it is impossible to get parts for a 1966 and I will need a whole new range. He will also test the heating unit on the frig. Keep your fingers crossed.... I'll check tomorrow for your instructions.

Carol
Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

There could be a spider web in the burner tube or you might not have the proper pressure in the propane system to make it burn correctly, but those are things he should know to check.
It is almost always a simple thing that causes these to not work right. You might fix it before he gets there.

Regards,
Rich the Viking
Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Carol,

If you need me to search for used parts, I have a source. There is a great place here in sacramento "RV Doctor George". Super nice guy, knows everything about RVs and is a fixer. He also has accumulated a couple warehouses full of old rv parts. I like going there just to look around. He has a website. Google him.

Matt
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
Thanks again, I hate to be the dumb blond when the repair guy shows up, "Lookie here lady, we're going to have to cut the trailer in half to get the frig out. Just throw a tarp over the roof with a few rocks on top. We'll keep trying to put in some old junk parts until we find the magic one. Sorry we can't give you any warranty on anything, you'll just have to trust us......"

Which brings up the oven problem... If the trouble is that the fuel mixture is too rich, how do I go about adjusting it? Or will that likely blow me to smitheens and then we don't have to worry about the frig anymore?

Carol
But you don't have to be the dumb blond, Carol, you have all the wisdom of the Forums members to help you! If the repair guy isn't making sense to you, tell him you'll have to check with your consultants before proceeding.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
There could be a spider web in the burner tube or you might not have the proper pressure in the propane system to make it burn correctly, but those are things he should know to check.
It is almost always a simple thing that causes these to not work right. You might fix it before he gets there.

Regards,
Rich the Viking
Hmmm---we had mud daubbers in the air intake for our generator, they apparently like the smell of propane and nest there.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I think I'll let the repair guy check everything out, propane problems make me nervous.
How do you know if you don't have proper pressure in the propane system, like not enough propane in the tank?

Thanks everybody for all your help and encouragement,
Carol
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Well, I think that's a good idea.

You can show the guy this if he thinks it would help.
Regards,
Rich the Viking
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10-13-2010.pdf (1.89 MB, 32 views)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Thanks for sending the file, I'll bring my computer with me on Friday.

Carol
Old 10-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well the repair man came and so far nothing is fixed....he is nice and explains everything, of course I am sitting there looking over his shoulder and asking a million questions.

The oven problem seems to be in the pilot assembly. There is quite a bit of yellow flame in that area. At first he thought the orifices were partially clogged so he disconnected it and took it home and blew it out. However when he returned it, he showed me a long thin crack in the little pipe that has the orifices for the pilot leading to the burner itself. You can see yellow flame coming thru it for about a 1/2". The flame looks the same as before he disconnected it. When the oven lights, the big burner flame is all a nice blue, then the yellow flame goes out in the crack and the pilot light itself burns blue. There is an amazing amount of soot that collected under that side of the burner itself plus the entire inside of the oven is covered in soot. He took the pilot assembly with him to the RV shop to see if he can mend the crack. Can't figure how that can work, epoxy would melt and wouldn't solder do the same thing?

He tested the frig and said my heating element is bad. He is ordering one for $140 and says he will have to pull the frig to replace it since the outside opening is so small. Says it will be about an hour's worth of labor. I hear the sound of my piggybank emptying out, but if it works save the price of a new one which I can't afford right now anyway.

He couldn't order a new pilot assembly because the place under the range where it would list the model number is blank, just a little rivet where it used to be. Anyone else with a 66 Tradewind that can read the model number of their's under the back left burner?

Carol
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Carol,

Go to member search then go advanced, then from the pull-down menu in trailer 1 field select 66 Tradewind and you will find 73 members that might be able to look for that number on their stove. You can try pming them. Hope that helps and you get the part you need to spare you from having to replace the stove. Welcome back!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

It sounds like you are on your way to having them working again. You're right about epoxy melting but solder may work. It has a pretty high melting temperature.
The refrigerator repair is a good one. I didn't think they still had parts available for the old ones.

Best of luck to you Carol.
Rich the Viking
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Thanks again you guys for the info, I did the member advanced search and found three people who are currently active on the forums and sent them a PM. Hopefully someone still has their original oven and can find the number.

Plus I'll let the repair guy know you voted for trying solder in the meantime...

Carol
Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well now I am depressed. The repair guy came, put the pilot assembly back together with the new weld and we're right back where we started. Yellow flame delight...it didn't come thru the weld either. He said maybe the secondary orifice in the pilot assembly to the burner is shot. I can't figure out what could go wrong with an orifice if it's not plugged, it's just a hole in the metal isn't it? So now I need to find a replacement pilot assembly with a two line set up. He told me he looked up my oven and they only made this type for a few years, then switched to a single line.

I can't afford a new oven right now but I did find something that might tide me over by looking on the old forums concerning ovens. Someone mentioned an "Ovenette" that works on the stove and I went over to Ebay and lo and behold, someone had one for sale. Never used and all parts included. I was up at the crack of dawn to get in on the last bidding and now it is mine. I would be interested in any info people might have in using this item. Also if anyone is getting rid of a 1966 Magic Chef so I might get their pilot assembly and give that route one more try...

Carol
Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good deal, Carol!! Any oven is better than no oven.

Maggie
Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Carol, any chance you could post a picture of the part you are after?

Rich the Viking
Old 10-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Darn, I just left the trailer to come home. I will try to take one when I get back. It is the whole approximately two inch pilot assembly that unscrews from the line. Plus after the guy brought me back the soldered piece, he said he didn't think the crack was a crack, but possibly that the long thin hole was supposed to be there, that that was how it was made. But he soldered it anyway.... Did I mention I'm depressed over the whole thing?

Carol
Old 10-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

I'll look in my parts box tonight. Maybe I have the old one from mine.