Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
Heavens to Murgatroid What do I need?

Well, I am all excited about going somewhere in the Silver Hut.... when the realization hit me that my AS is empty! You know - silverware, dishes, GRILL, flashlights etc.

So, I searched for a newbies "must have in AS list"... not much luck. Item by item, many threads with debates on which ones of this or that....

Can anyone give me a clue... a list of "Don't leave home without...." and just for fun... "it's great to have..." stuff. YES, I want a pink flamingo - but the company went under or something... so I will have a decal maker make some for me until I find one.... I have 2 singles in the back.... what size sheets? I mean I have NEVER done this before.... any input would be appreciated!!
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This is a setup, right? Right back at'cha .... downloading .... just another minute for the circle thingy to finish downloading ....

Maurice (RoadKingMoe) does still hang around the Forums and I'm always glad to see him posting. I'd be nothing without the early Forums members! http://www.airforums.com/forum...list-7630.html and http://www.airforums.com/forum...ring-3099.html

Think he's also to credit for our most favorite road cookwork find: 15-Piece Cookware Set The lids are strainers to remove liquids, the handles are removable, the cookware stacks without rattling and jumping around. Fabulous!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Just do it

We picked up our Argosy near Dekatur Il bound for Tempe AZ. It was in great condition but bare. Our first night out was in a Walmart parking lot. We picked up an amazing amount of "necessities" for an unbelievably small amount of money. It was just dumb luck for us but in retrospect, it was a really good thing. First, we got to "return the favor" for letting us vagabonds use the parking and second, we could get stuff and if it didn't fit or work right the return was just accross the parking lot. My advice, just get out and go for it!

Regards

Mike

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
No Canoe Steam.... not a setup. An honest attemp to get the ideas as stated. What can I say... I may be dumb but I don't need to go to a campground and as to borrow this... or that...

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Old 01-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Stuff I dumped

Whatever you get, get FEWER variations and small sizes. Good stuff:
  • I totally agree about the stacking pots and pans. Got them and use them regularly.
  • Airstream beds don't fit standard sheets, but you can use them if you get sheet garters - at Walmart or any linen store. I sew, so I've converted standard sheets into Airstream sheets with elastic, a serger and some patience. I bought a six pack of "hotel sheets" from Sams Club, then modified them.
  • first aid kit
  • 2 or 3 good knives
  • 2 or 3 bath sheets (big is better) 8 washcloths, they get funky
  • Miniature bungee cords are nice for securing stuff in the refrigerator when traveling.
  • Baggies are great for storing small miscellaneous non-food stuff as well as short term food storage. The really big ones have become my under dinette and under bed storage bins of choice. Bins, while handy waste space.
  • Look for collapsable plastic tupperware for food storage (mouseproof).
  • Lint-free microfiber cloths to dust and wipe stuff inside the trailer (bare aluminum) and for washing the outside and the tow vehicle.
  • Corelle is my fine dinner china and everyday stuff too. I bought a set of stainless for my silverware, but some folks prefer plastic disposable.
  • Good paper towels - use for everything, napkins, shoe shining, wiping & washing dishes.
Stuff I threw out
  • plastic egg keeper - store cartons are fine
  • most specialty cooking pans - buy disposable aluminum pie pans, turkey roasters, etc for those once in a while needs.
  • Most specialty cooking gadgets. A whisk can do about anything a portable mixer can.
  • laundry basket - nylon bags instead
  • original stinky slinky - cheap, leaky & short - I got a Sewer Solution, but a heavy duty slinky with connectors and an extension is good too
  • 1/2 of my pillows - Space users. I keep four on the bed, two have shams so I move them to the couch if I need more there.
  • Most Guest stuff - Keep a spare toothbrush and one blanket or throw.
  • Most special duty cleaning products. I've kept dishwashing detergent, stainless steel cleaner, scrubbing bubbles, and an orange oil product that smells nice, & works as a general purpose everything cleaner. One broom, one whisk broom, one bathroom cleaning pad thingee that gets used throughout the trailer (half the size of a swiffer).
  • Shark Canister vacuum took too much space. Just got a little stick thingee with rotating brushes.
  • Toaster - get a campfire toast rack & use it on your stove, or stick it on a long fork
  • Toilet brush & scrubbing chemicals. Put on a disposable glove like you use when dumping black tank, grab a paper towel and wipe the outside, then move into the bowl. Dispose of paper towel by pulling the latex glove off over it and putting in trash. Sanitize your toilet? Unless you're storing it, no. You'll be using it and....
  • Shoes - I full time. I edit my shoes - buy a new pair, toss an old pair.
The most important thing I do is edit, edit, edit. Once a month or so I go through my cabinets and spring clean. Unmatched socks take space, religious underpants (holey holey holey) gotta go, a blouse that has a stain on it, gone. Stuff will tend to fill every nook and cranny and you don't have that many nooks or crannies in your Airstream.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Talking Ooh have fun packing and planning!!

Great advice from the posts above! How exciting for you, best wishes!!

Oh you can never be too organized!!

Spacesaving is so important!! I just saw some adorable folding collanders and the collapsible rubbermaid containers too.

The mindset is that it is more like taking your home with you because you can take most everything you need to be comfortable and have a great time.

Checklists like the ones Canoe Stream (Bob) listed are so important! Foiled Again (Paula) has a great list too! You'll probably overpack the first time out!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
WOW! Thanks Canoe Stream and Foiled Again. I gotta say that when I got to Road King Moe's list... print, print print......and this info should get any newbie going strong!!

I am just adding a list of meds I take (I travel alone). Spare AS & TV set of keys.... hidden in safe place.

And most of all, my sense of humor.... and desire to make new friends and stay in touch with old ......

OK, where is that super WalMart.......

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Old 01-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Think PAPER for the dishes and bowls, real stainless for flatware. Then think baskets or some type of holders to put your "stuff" in. Things really get tossed around up in the cabinets and pantry if you don't organize. Of course I'm working with a 24ft Argosy with loats of storage, but I went with the baskets to organize my "stuff". Also don't get too caught up in thinking you will get everything you need from the start. One trip to Sam's will show you there is at least $100.00 worth of "stuff" you never even thought of. Each outing in the Argosy brings more "stuff" I just can't do without. May need something bigger than the Tundra to tow with in another year.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Baskets

We have a little tiny Minuet with small cabinets for storage. We use small plastic dishpans instead of baskets. They can always double for extra duty if we need them for toting other stuff. They can be hauled into the house for loading and easily refilled with clothing, or other necessities too.
I have a camping checklist that I use to double check at the beginning of the season. If I don't use it the first couple of times out it gets removed from our list. Edit, edit, edit.....

Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Randall
I am just adding a list of meds I take (I travel alone). Spare AS & TV set of keys.... hidden in safe place.
I have learned that while you are out camping, you tend to lose track of time. One of those 5 (or 7) day pill minders is a great idea, because I am always wondering if I took this pill or that one today.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Randall
Well, I am all excited about going somewhere in the Silver Hut.... when the realization hit me that my AS is empty! You know - silverware, dishes, GRILL, flashlights etc. I mean I have NEVER done this before.... any input would be appreciated!!
Tom- We have learned one thing if nothing..... whatever it is that you need and you think you have everything, it is the one thing that you don't have! No this includes the tool box, the galley and everything in between. I don't think we have yet to go on any trip short or long and not write something on the shopping list. I know somewhere on this forum there is a great thread of check lists. Search that and you should find something. If I remember it I will post it but it's not on my list!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Go camping!

To rickandsandi, DITTO! I keep a notebook in the TW to write the "needs" and "to dos" that I discover every time I camp.

Tom, a camping trip relatively close to home was the best thing for me to get an idea of what I needed. Its a good starting point and if your forget something you seriously need you're not far from the house, or maybe a Wal-mart. Like Foiled Again I keep revising and editing what I carry. All of the checklists are excellent. And from the suggestions and advice you will eventually weed through and keep carrying only the stuff that works for you.

You are so going to love Airstreaming.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Snaggle Puss

I am I the only one here who noticed that the thread title is a quote from Snaggle Puss? He was the pink lion off Yogi Bear. Come on guys, I'm a Gen X'er and I noticed it

Exit, Stage Right!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
What makes you think we didn't notice?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
What makes you think we didn't notice?
Yeah, we didn't think we had to point out the obvious...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thank you from another non-GenX AS/Argosy owner. Think we old godgers may be outnumbered here, so we have to stick together.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Gloves!! Don't forget the gloves! I carry a box of nitril (sp) and a pair of nice leather ones. I use the nitril gloves for all things mechanical, also for black tank functions. The leather gloves keep me from giving blood as I work on heavy stuff. Gloves make hand cleanup easier and your wife will thank you for keeping the sinks cleaner too.
Don't forget the portable grill. My toolbox grill is just perfect for minor grilling for one or two.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Thanks all !!! I must tell you I have been printing and making up several list.. from supplies to a pre-travel list. This has been great! I've taken all items from each post and added to Road King Moe's list that I broke down into catagories. I am having a great time doing this... thinking of taking the Silver Hut to the Super WalMart .... that way I don't have to keep driving back and forth till I get it right. And yes, I have already started a "list of things I forgot/need".

I can only say, I cannot wait to meet you wonderful people. I hope that I can return the same kindness that has been shown here to me.

I am happy to be an Airstream owner.... now to get ready and go somewhere nearby for a practice run.....

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Old 01-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I have learned that while you are out camping, you tend to lose track of time. One of those 5 (or 7) day pill minders is a great idea, because I am always wondering if I took this pill or that one today.
I keep a letter from my doctor(s) listing all the prescriptions I take on a regular basis along with a script for those prescriptions. Just in case I loose them, or I need to go to the emergency room, or when crossing the border back to the U.S. from Canada and I have to prove the meds are mine.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
I am I the only one here who noticed that the thread title is a quote from Snaggle Puss? He was the pink lion off Yogi Bear. Come on guys, I'm a Gen X'er and I noticed it
You need to go back further, Mr. Gen X.

It was the Lion in "Wizard of Oz". Bert Lahr played the Lion, but he used the "Heavens to Murgatroid" phrase in the 1944 movie "Meet the People".
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote