Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Carol, first of all, laws are different in every state. In some, tenants are well protected because of too many scummy landlords, in others, tenants have few protections. There are bad landlords and bad tenants, and one hopes they find each other.

It takes a while to evict someone for nonpayment—it can take months. Tenant has time to file an answer, then can request time to get a lawyer, file motions, etc., etc. In some states it may be illegal to turn off utilities, so you need to check that. In my experience that applies to multiple dwellings only (usually 4 or more apartments), but I don't know about Cal. A clever, experienced deadbeat can extend the time for many months before a court will order him out and then getting him out can be a hassle. Eviction is a civil matter and cops don't have much to do with that. In some states the sheriff will remove the tenant's personal property when the order is final and put it on the sidewalk. In other states you may have to ask the court to hold the tenant in contempt so he can be arrested to get him out.

It is easier to get a restraining order if you have a domestic relationship with someone (I'm not suggesting that). Maggie speaks of an order of protection which sounds like the same thing. If someone threatens you (best to have a witness), and the cops won't do anything about it, go to the district attorney and tell them about it. I can't tell whether you are being threatened, or there's something menacing about this guy, but it's not wimpy to make yourself and your Airstream scarce and hire a lawyer to take care of this so you can do the things you want to with your life. Seems to me art and Airstreaming are what you should be doing.

Gene

Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Thank you Gene, I am still trying to accomplish that, my lawyer for some reason has suddenly made himself scarce and now does not wish to take any calls from me, the AAA guy came but said he could not pull the trailer, his tires got muddy, he left, I called that mechanic I like so much, he came even though it is SuperBowl Sunday, he said he and his two buddies would move in since I have so much room, he will come back later, but I think he is kidding about moving in, I do not care when or where we move, I will be happy when it is over. You know who left, but came back, he is in his room.......cclarkego

Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Just so you know, I am OK, the trailer is safe, I came home today and the police came, they said they could arrest me for a felony, oh boy, I did not know the power and gas being shut off was a problem, apparently it is, I did not get arrested, YET

cclarkego
Old 02-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
We are still at Camp Comfort, so far no bear sightings, but I hope my little cat comes back soon, or I think she will be another bear's lunch...

cclarkego
Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I am CURSED by bears! Today I went over to visit my trailer in it's new spot at the RV park here in Ojai. My nice little space, WAY IN THE BACK, in the corner of the park. I was just there the other day, watering the lawn and flowers, cursing the frig for quitting, making snappy little comments to the oven for not working right. I should have kept my mouth shut! I brought a new sewer hose today to replace the old one and when I walked to the back of the trailer, I stopped dead in my tracks. There in the damp dirt were bear tracks. My heart almost quit, I dropped the sewer hose and just like in the movies, I was frozen in space, like when a train is bearing down on you and you are trapped on the tracks. I listened very carefully for any noise in the bushes. I ever so slowly peeked around the trailer. Nothing. I walked around the trailer three times scouting all the ground. The tracks come from up the hill beside me leading to a big ranch and then go up again that direction. I trot quickly over to my neighbor's trailer and make hasty introductions. Has anyone seen a bear here before. Nope....
It can't be the same bear that tried to climb in my trailer from the beginning of this story, the tracks are smaller. I totally can't believe a bear has found me again. I went straight back to my house, had a glass of wine and wondered why the Gods are doing this to me..........

Carol
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
maybe it was THIS bear visiting you this time:
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I never had a bear in my trailer, but while tent camping in the Adirondacks had a bear sit on my tent.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I am going back to the RV park today to meet the repairman armed with my bear spray.
Does anyone think a motion light would scare a bear?

Carol
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all Carol, it's best to call him Mr. Bear or Ms. Bear (I doubt you will inspect to check which). I doubt a light will help, bear spray can. The problem is if you want to be near trees, water, other wildlife, berries, and other bear food, there will be bears. Sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.

I don't blame you for being scared as when I have been close to bears my pulse increases quite a bit. I restrict the encounters to when there are other people around to eat or the bear is quite contently feeding on vegetation, but I've never had the encounters you've had, so who am I to talk? You don't always have a choice about encounters of course. That's when it's hard to remember very few people are ever attacked, it's more dangerous to drive a car or cross the street.

I do have a friend who really did attract bears while wilderness camping and was tracked by one in the Boundary Waters. He's almost as big as a smaller black bear which may have helped. He acted so crazy he probably scared the bear who had developed an affection to his shampoo as well as the food carelessly stowed. I was always nervous about going camping with him.

We see bear scat on our property but have never seen one here, but sometimes a few miles away near a creek.

I'm sure you'll be ok.

Gene
Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Mid morning in Upper Pines Campground in Yosemite Valley last month, the dogs started barking. I thought "what the heck is wrong with them?" I looked over about 50 feet away and saw this guy. I spoke with the campground host later that day and he said, "oh yeah, that's Orange 85." What? "Yeah he's been here before and they tagged him with a orange radio collar."

Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	113128  
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #109
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I was camping in a State Park in Idaho a few years ago. I had the sewer hose running to one of the big blue totes. I came back to the trailer to find that a bear had bitten the sewer hose, crushing the coil spring , and leaving several large tooth holes in the hose.

The bear was later chased from the campground by a ranger with a bean bag gun.

Ken
Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
I am going back to the RV park today to meet the repairman armed with my bear spray.
Does anyone think a motion light would scare a bear?

Carol

How about a light mounted on a RIFLE SCOPE!

Personally, I don't want to scare a bear and see how it reacts, but I wouldn't mind having a bear rug

Rich the Viking
Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #111
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
How about a light mounted on a RIFLE SCOPE!

Personally, I don't want to scare a bear and see how it reacts, but I wouldn't mind having a bear rug

Rich the Viking

I wonder if they'd let you keep it for your jail cell.

Regards,

Ken
Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Dear Viking,

How far is Boulder Creek from Ojai? How about you just bring a knock out dart gun and take him away. I didn't see a thing.........

Carol

Tags
bears, defense