Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hang on to those quarters

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Hang on to any of the new State of Texas quarters. If you have them, they may be worth much more than 25 cents. The U.S. Treasury announced today that it is recalling all of the Texas quarters that are part of its program featuring quarters from each state. "We are recalling all the new Texas quarters that were recently issued," Treasury Undersecretary Jack Shackleford said Monday. "This action is being taken after numerous reports that the new quarters will not work in parking meters, toll booths, vending machines, pay phones, or other coin-operated devices."

The quarters were issued in the order in which the various states joined the union and have been a tremendous success! among coin collectors worldwide.

"The problem lies in the unique design of the Texas quarter, which was created by a Texas A&M graduate," Shackleford said. "Apparently, the duct tape holding the two dimes and the nickel together keeps jamming the coin operated devices."
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking GRINNING

LMAO...And, it's after midnight still....lol
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Now I can understand Arkansas, or Mississippi, but Texas?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:37 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cheese

well,

we have a similar problem here in wisconsin!

seems ours keep jamming vending machines because the cheese they are made of melts at too low of a temp!

john
Old 01-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
this is good...makes one wonder what will be said about the California quarter
Old 01-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: Hang on to those quarters

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Hang on to any of the new State of Texas quarters. If you have them, they may be worth much more than 25 cents. The U.S. Treasury announced today that it is recalling all of the Texas quarters that are part of its program featuring quarters from each state. "We are recalling all the new Texas quarters that were recently issued," Treasury Undersecretary Jack Shackleford said Monday. "This action is being taken after numerous reports that the new quarters will not work in parking meters, toll booths, vending machines, pay phones, or other coin-operated devices."

The quarters were issued in the order in which the various states joined the union and have been a tremendous success! among coin collectors worldwide.

"The problem lies in the unique design of the Texas quarter, which was created by a Texas A&M graduate," Shackleford said. "Apparently, the duct tape holding the two dimes and the nickel together keeps jamming the coin operated devices."
.....GROAN.....
Old 01-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by jpurdy
this is good...makes one wonder what will be said about the California quarter
It will of course be recalled, and a new Republican version will be imported from Austria...
Terry
Old 01-23-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Government better get them back quick, before the Democrats give them all away............
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
FREE....

Hi ALL.....
...Guess I heard WRONG....I was led 2 believe that the Great Big America was the land of the FREE.........We were outside Fi-Doughs, the pet shop, in Boston last tuesday...when I saw a Lady ramming coins into a parking-meter, as if it was possesed or something...so I politley asked her why parking was NOT FREE....she looked at me in that funny way, as all Women look at me...( even guys tooo...LOL )....Whatta U mean, she bellows...NOTHING aint FREE HONEY......, & I'm $65 an HOUR...but I'm kinda busy right now, & offered me one of her contact cards...
Standing like a flabberghasted LEMON....I slowly turned to where the tittering was coming from....to see my 2 Youngest D/D's red faced & tears running their faces with laughter....2 cut it way down short...She was a HE...& HE wiggled when he walked, & stuff like that, & I hoped his meter was RIGGED...........
So WHO got the PARKING METER first....U S A or G B .....
also we heard that the weekly pass 4 the "Ts" were goin UP from $22 to $35, a hike of $13...NOW that realy STINKS....how on earth can it b allowed 2 go up that much....I kn things are a little tight in Boston, & places r closin down...because of people NOT spending as much, but surely an increase of $3, would have bn ENOUGH....Thousands of people use the "Ts", it's the ONLY way most folk can get around...WE truely feel it is a rip-off...
Talkin of COINS, Lisa got a 1946 CENT in her change, the other day, she says she gonna keep it 4 ever...bet-U it ENDS up in my collection, b4 the end of the week...LOL, We too had a problem when the .50p coin was re-issued, it was lighter & smaller....& was only good for counter trade, all the machines had 2b re done to accept it....cost a LOT of people a LOT of money that did, so everything went UP agn...to cover the cost...
So 2 all U Guys out there who r suffering over this CENT affair....jus carry a brown paper bag with U, with " Out of order " wrote on it...& pop it over the parkin meter..well it WORKED in the MOVIE I saw it in...LOL...Good Luck 2U all...Chris.....
Old 01-25-2004, 09:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Wink

don't even joke about the bag-on-the-meter. In all likelyhood that sabotage would interfere with interstate commerce--for citizens like us, maybe 2-10yrs max. However an infiltrator would go straight to Gitmo forever--no more Streamin.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote