Old 12-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't want to insult a fond memory of your dad, but I'm troubled by the story to be honest.

If I went to the deli counter and feigned interest in 50 different products - it would be an insult to the deli worker, counter productive for commerce, and a waste of the time of the countless other people who need that person's assistance.

If I were the car sales person being toyed with for sport, I'd want to know what would cause someone to think it was ok to intentionally prevent me from earning income for my family just for sport.

The vast majority of people are hard working folks trying to do well for their families. I'd even argue that the vast majority of bad experiences we have are brought about by bad process or a handful of greedy/unethical people who pull way more strings than the average car salesperson or deli worker (or fill in the blank) can control.

I'm sure your dad was a fine man and again I don't want to insult your memory of him. Nor do I think we should all become humorless droids incapable of having a laugh. I'm just hoping the scales tip far more on the side of laughing with, as opposed to at, one another.

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Haggling

I'm going to come down on the side of Acheron's dad, not because I don't think car salespeople deserve to make a living, but because I hate the system they work under. Acheron's dad is the only person Ive ever heard of who actually enjoyed haggling for a car enough to do it for fun. I think 99% of the rest of us would just as soon pay the dealer's price if it weren't for the fact that we would feel like fools for doing it. I had hopes that the free sharing of information on the internet would bring an end to the practice of haggling for cars, and maybe it will someday, but the last time I wanted to buy a car and went into the dealership armed with the internet information, I couldn't find any dealer willing to sell me a car for that price, so I had to resort to haggling anyway. And of course when you think you're done haggling, that's really just the end of round one. Round two takes place in the finance manager's office. So when I hear about someone causing problems for a system I hate, I really don't feel like getting sanctimonious about it, anymore than I would if there were someone who particularly enjoyed listening all the way through, and asking all the questions they could think of about some telemarketer's spiel, even though they have no intention of buying whatever product or service the telemarketer is trying to sell.

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
And what is it that you think hard working tax paying people that support their families deserve?
In the real world, everyone doesn't get a trophy.
What do I think hard working tax paying people deserve? An opportunity.
My neighbor as a kid worked at Wendy's. He said they'd play games with customers. One day they'd get every order wrong, the next day they'd get everyone's change wrong. That Wendy's closed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
It's a game. He probably thinks he brought the salesman to his knees but I'm sure they were laughing when he left.

I've had jackwagons try to "bargain" on used cars I had for sale. I send 'em packing. I even junked one car to prove the point. It was a $600 Mazda pickup from the South with zero rust. The guy insisted there was a miss in the engine. Came back begging for it later. I showed him a pic. I even got $400 for scrap

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I've worked for all kinds of dealerships from honest to downright dishonest ( didn't stay there long)
Country boy is right. Everyone who likes to haggle and comes out of the dealership thinking there won is sadly mistaken.
They, the dealership, haggles for a living. 1or 200 times a month depending on size of dealership. They always know how low they can go and just let you get close enough to make you happy. Then of course off you go to the finance of fine and lay down for all the extras.
The best dealership experience I ever had and the one I made the most money at and the one where I had the most happy repeat customers was a One Price Dealership.
We posted the lowest price on the windshield along with the MSRP and left the lot open for people to browse.
The problem with haggling is the consumer always goes away withing they'd gone lower and the salesman working on commission always wanted to hold out for more. When you take all that out of the equation, there is more time to pay attention to what the customer wants and not which car or truck is going to pay the most commission.
Personally, I hate haggling. Show me a fair price and great service.
Much better than the back and forth to the office.
When that dealership changed hands and went back to the old way, I retired. I had a lot of calls fom old customers who said that they didn't like the change and asked me to recommend another dealership.
gandttimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:09 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Glengarry Glen Ross keeps coming to mind.
Mattirs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Naa. Not so much.
gandttimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
High Springs , Florida
I won't denigrate your dad or the story. It's all part of the territory. I would guess the seasoned pros knew what was up and the young salespeople got a good training lesson.

I spent a life in sales, recreational vehicles of sorts. I ran a bit of a different type of shop, low key and dependent on repeat and referrals. People came to work for me because they loved the product and the lifestyle. Most weren't professional salespeople as I didn't really get along with that type. The typical customer comes into the door of a sales establishment with a chip on their shoulder and an intention to beat every dime of commission out of a deal. Considering we worked with all the other dealers and their salespeople and got a good view of the shenanigans going on and the attitude was understandable. OTOH, we also saw first hand the shenanigans the public pulls on salespeople. I had a little saying that took new salespeople a while to understand, buyers are lairs and sellers are worse. Over time they'd learn just how cynical and true the term was. Salespeople generally developed in two directions. Most at first did very well with an excited attitude and love of product. They's shrug off all the nasty things customers did because they were doing something they loved. But over time, six months, nine months, the persistent dirty tricks, lies, and general inconsiderate nature of folks would drive off the good hearted salespeople. A few, not many, would learn to counter the dirty dealings of folks, let it roll off their backs and they got better at giving it than receiving it. These folks, after a year or year and a half, would move on to other locations where they could make much more money. We stayed a small backwater operation mainly because I liked what I was doing and how I was doing it. Money was never the score keeper. But in the sales game that is no recipe for success.

Much like we get the government we deserve, salespeople are what they are because the public are what the public are.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I won't denigrate your dad or the story. It's all part of the territory. I would guess the seasoned pros knew what was up and the young salespeople got a good training lesson.

I spent a life in sales, recreational vehicles of sorts. I ran a bit of a different type of shop, low key and dependent on repeat and referrals. People came to work for me because they loved the product and the lifestyle. Most weren't professional salespeople as I didn't really get along with that type. The typical customer comes into the door of a sales establishment with a chip on their shoulder and an intention to beat every dime of commission out of a deal. Considering we worked with all the other dealers and their salespeople and got a good view of the shenanigans going on and the attitude was understandable. OTOH, we also saw first hand the shenanigans the public pulls on salespeople. I had a little saying that took new salespeople a while to understand, buyers are lairs and sellers are worse. Over time they'd learn just how cynical and true the term was. Salespeople generally developed in two directions. Most at first did very well with an excited attitude and love of product. They's shrug off all the nasty things customers did because they were doing something they loved. But over time, six months, nine months, the persistent dirty tricks, lies, and general inconsiderate nature of folks would drive off the good hearted salespeople. A few, not many, would learn to counter the dirty dealings of folks, let it roll off their backs and they got better at giving it than receiving it. These folks, after a year or year and a half, would move on to other locations where they could make much more money. We stayed a small backwater operation mainly because I liked what I was doing and how I was doing it. Money was never the score keeper. But in the sales game that is no recipe for success.

Much like we get the government we deserve, salespeople are what they are because the public are what the public are.
That is so true, thanks for the post!

xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote