Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi you two!

Good to see you.

We have the NOLA ongoing build on our radar for January 2014. The perfect opportunity for us to put some time in for this worthy cause.

Looking forward to it.

Take care and travel safely,

Maggie
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #62
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
RV Care A Vanner 25th Anniversary Celebration/Build

The Habitat for Humanity RV Care A Vanner program will be marking its 25th anniversary in the spring of 2014. Danielle and I have only been involved with RV CAV for a few years but it's great to know the program has been successful for so long. And it keeps getting better.

The 25th Anniversary celebration is planned for the last two weeks of April 2014. Here's a LINK to a web page with more information. The event will be held in Springfield, MO so it's convenient for many Airforums members.

There are several aspects to the celebration:

1) There's the usual 2 week build although even the build will be a little different than normal (shorter work days for instance).

2) A "rally" is planned for the weekend between the two build weeks and you can register for the rally by itself. This will give you an opportunity to meet other RV CAV participants as well as enjoy food and entertainment.

3) Seminars will be offered. I think most of these will be related to construction with an emphasis on construction safety. I've heard other seminars will be related to disaster re-building and the special needs that unfold in response to disasters.

4) You can sign up for a variety of campsites - full hookups, water and electric (with two pump outs included), or dry camping. There may be other types of camping too. Check HERE for more details on camping arrangements - scroll down to April 2014 and look at the listings for Springfield. Each listing is a different size camping spot with varying amenities.

Give it some thought. There is always a need for more help on these projects. The 25th celebration offers a unique opportunity to work on a building project as well as attend a rally.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #63
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
The first day of the Siver City, NM build - from slab to walls on the first day. You can see the walls on the flatbead trailer. And the supervisors studying the prints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1272068049.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	564.6 KB
ID:	196280   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-380639920.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	599.9 KB
ID:	196281  

Name:	image-3318121551.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	196282   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-93224573.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	196283  

Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #64
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Great pictures and thanks so much for all you do to help build affordable homes for those in need. What a great way to use your Airstream! I look forward to building with you two next April in Springfield, MO. for the 25th Habitat RV Care-A-Vanner Build and Rally.

kds
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #65
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
If anyone following this thread is attending Alumaflamingo in Sarasota in February 2014 be sure to check out the Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner seminar on Friday. Presented by yours truly.

If you just can't wait for the seminar take time to sign-up for the monthly newsletter to see what you've been missing.

I thought about bringing some door prizes for the seminar. What do you think? Hammer, screwdriver, pliers? Door prizes always make things more interesting.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #66
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Wow, it's been a long time since anyone has added a new post to this thread. I'll remedy that right now...

I don't have any pictures handy right now but I'll give you a written description of what we've been involved with and how you might be able to fit a Habitat project into your travels.

In April Danielle and I participated in the 25th Anniversary celebration for Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanners. The event was held in Springfield, MO at the fairgrounds. We had a great time - meeting new friends and renewing friendships with others. There were nearly 100 rigs in attendance (with a handful or so of Airstreams) so that's nearly 200 people. We worked 1/2 days - sometimes in the morning sometime in the afternoon. That gave us time to attend seminars and do some sightseeing. It was a wonderful experience.

We didn't have time to commit to a two-week Habitat project this summer but we did join in with a build in West Liberty, KY. We were only able to help for a few days (we pre-approved this with Habitat and the group leader). By coincidence it was the same group leader and some of the same volunteers we had worked with in West Liberty in summer 2013. We had a great time. The idea of only working for part of a two-week build is not encouraged. It could certainly be disruptive to have people coming and going throughout a two-week cycle. However, some Habitat affiliates don't mind. That's where YOU come into the picture. Let me explain.

I know many people who participate in Air Forums are working or have other time constraints that don't allow them to easily set aside two weeks for an RV CAV building project. But don't let that discourage you. Look at the upcoming RV CAV projects HERE or take time to look at A Brush with Kindness projects HERE. Some of the RV CAV builds will allow you to work less than two weeks but you should have that pre-approved. Otherwise, A Brush With Kindness has projects all around the country and many of them are ongoing meaning you register and show up for just one or two days.

So if you're still reading at this point let me tell you about our most recent Habitat RV CAV project. We worked for one week in Sebring, FL. During the early autumn the Sebring affiliate schedules their projects for one-week intervals. This was great for us. We didn't have time for two weeks but the shorter period fit into our schedule perfectly. We spend our time at the Habitat ReStore (thrift shop) and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The first day or so was spent scraping, cleaning and painting a small office - several days were spent assembling new display cases and cash register stands for the ReStore. And finally, we spent some time cleaning, checking and pricing newly donated items and putting them on the floor for sale. It was a very interesting and new (to us) experience. Not everyone has to build houses. We knew that but didn't realize how interesting it would be to work in the ReStore.

I know that's a lot of words with no pictures so I'll try to find something to make my next post more enjoyable. Until then, take time to look at the links above and consider volunteering with Habitat when you travel.

Travel with a purpose!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Great ideas! Habitat for Humanity helps so many deserving families. I volunteered for Habitat in the 90's. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #68
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Why We Build...

The Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner organization sends out a newsletter every month. You can sign-up to receive the newsletter HERE.

Many times the newsletter includes a section titled Why We Build. Danielle pointed this particular Why We Build out to me and I agreed it was very interesting.

Why we build

Building Together by Kelli Regan

Last August my parents sold their house and set off in their motor home to live a full time life on wheels. While my husband, children and I were happy for their grand adventure, we felt sad for the distance that would separate us. We wondered about this "strange" life they had embarked on.
"What's gotten into Nanni and Poppy?" we asked each other.

During a winter phone call, my mom shared their itinerary for the coming months. In the spring they planned to spend two weeks in Savannah, Georgia, working on an FMCA Habitat for Humanity build. They'd done other FMCA Habitat builds and had raved about their experiences.

The idea of joining them intrigued me for several reasons. I always wanted to visit Savannah, I hadn't seen my parents in a while, and I have a love for missions that I nurture with frequent trips to Haiti where I help build churches and schools. Joining my parents would be like a mission trip but closer to home and a little more comfortable!

A few weeks before the Habitat build, my sister called to say her schedule cleared and she planned to go. It was the nudge I needed to commit to going too.

Then I started to get anxious. I'm generally comfortable on work sites, but didn't know what to expect from this one. My sister and I would be outsiders — non-RVers — jumping into the middle of a two-week build. Would we fit in? Would they accept us? Would they let us do work?

We arrived in Savannah on Friday night and spent the weekend touring the area with my parents. When we arrived at the work site Monday morning — the start of the second week of the build — we were promptly name-tagged and introduced to "the gang." Immediately my fears dissipated as they warmly welcomed us and put us to work.

My sister and I easily blended into the group as we helped nail top plates, attach hurricane straps, install plywood sheathing, put up trusses and do whatever else needed doing. My father even signed me up to lead one of the morning devotions!

Amid the hard work, sweat, joking, camaraderie and teamwork, boxes of nails and piles of lumber started to become a home.

While working side by side with my parents and the other RVers, I got a glimpse of this full time motor home lifestyle they'd chosen. To my relief, I realized they actually aren't all that crazy. In fact, I discovered they are part of a vibrant community of energetic, caring, fun-loving, interesting people — people who I very much enjoyed being around.

My time on the Habitat build was filled with blessings — spending time with my family, meeting wonderful people, being outdoors in beautiful weather after a wretched winter in Philadelphia, experiencing the joy of serving and most of all, helping a single mother and her children achieve the dream of home ownership.

One of the most surprising blessings I experienced was seeing how happy my sister and I made my parents by being with them. The trip instantly became a precious family memory.

My parents' new lifestyle will certainly alter our family traditions, and I've been sad about that. But reflecting on our special time together in Savannah, I see we didn't just help build a new house for another family, we helped build a new tradition for our family.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #69
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Those Crazy Care-A-Vanners!

I recently obtained this video from the 25th Anniversary RV CAV celebration held in Springfield, MO earlier this year. I hope it's okay to post it here for others to see. I don't think anyone in the video is in a witness protection program.

Those Care-A-Vanners are a blast! We had a great time at the 25th Anniversary build/rally and hope to be involved with RV CAV for the next 25 years.
Attached Files
Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Thanks for starting this thread. You've given me something to think about.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #71
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Keep and Eye Out for the Tool Belt Tour

One of our favorite musicians, Antsy McClain, is embarking on what he calls the Tool Belt Tour and his first work site and Tool Belt Concert will be in Dade City, Florida on Thursday February 12, 2015.

Check out Antsy's web site for more details: Antsy Presents the Tool Belt Tour 2015 « Antsy McClain

The concert is free to anyone who participates in building the house in Dade City on January 12. Contact the Dade City (East Pasco County) Habitat affiliate for more information: Habitat of East and Central Pasco

I don't think the affiliate is advertising the project and concert but if you call to volunteer I'm sure they'll hook you up with some "tickets."
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #72
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
WOW, this is great. Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I won't be able to be in Florida that week but I'll see you guys in Mason, Tx for the phase 4 build of TWO houses this year.
Hope to get to see Antsy's Tool Belt Tour this year!!!!!!

Kelly
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #73
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Official RV CAV Video is on YouTube!

Hi Everyone! Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanners has released their official promotional video. Take a look:

Notice, there are a wide range of ages represented. Yes, many CAVers are retired but not all.

Consider taking a family vacation and working on a project or spending some time at your local Habitat affiliate. The work is infectious and you'll be coming back for another helping!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
The Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner organization sends out a newsletter every month. You can sign-up to receive the newsletter HERE.

Many times the newsletter includes a section titled Why We Build. Danielle pointed this particular Why We Build out to me and I agreed it was very interesting.

Why we build

Building Together by Kelli Regan

Last August my parents sold their house and set off in their motor home to live a full time life on wheels. While my husband, children and I were happy for their grand adventure, we felt sad for the distance that would separate us. We wondered about this "strange" life they had embarked on.
"What's gotten into Nanni and Poppy?" we asked each other.

During a winter phone call, my mom shared their itinerary for the coming months. In the spring they planned to spend two weeks in Savannah, Georgia, working on an FMCA Habitat for Humanity build. They'd done other FMCA Habitat builds and had raved about their experiences.

The idea of joining them intrigued me for several reasons. I always wanted to visit Savannah, I hadn't seen my parents in a while, and I have a love for missions that I nurture with frequent trips to Haiti where I help build churches and schools. Joining my parents would be like a mission trip but closer to home and a little more comfortable!

A few weeks before the Habitat build, my sister called to say her schedule cleared and she planned to go. It was the nudge I needed to commit to going too.

Then I started to get anxious. I'm generally comfortable on work sites, but didn't know what to expect from this one. My sister and I would be outsiders — non-RVers — jumping into the middle of a two-week build. Would we fit in? Would they accept us? Would they let us do work?

We arrived in Savannah on Friday night and spent the weekend touring the area with my parents. When we arrived at the work site Monday morning — the start of the second week of the build — we were promptly name-tagged and introduced to "the gang." Immediately my fears dissipated as they warmly welcomed us and put us to work.

My sister and I easily blended into the group as we helped nail top plates, attach hurricane straps, install plywood sheathing, put up trusses and do whatever else needed doing. My father even signed me up to lead one of the morning devotions!

Amid the hard work, sweat, joking, camaraderie and teamwork, boxes of nails and piles of lumber started to become a home.

While working side by side with my parents and the other RVers, I got a glimpse of this full time motor home lifestyle they'd chosen. To my relief, I realized they actually aren't all that crazy. In fact, I discovered they are part of a vibrant community of energetic, caring, fun-loving, interesting people — people who I very much enjoyed being around.

My time on the Habitat build was filled with blessings — spending time with my family, meeting wonderful people, being outdoors in beautiful weather after a wretched winter in Philadelphia, experiencing the joy of serving and most of all, helping a single mother and her children achieve the dream of home ownership.

One of the most surprising blessings I experienced was seeing how happy my sister and I made my parents by being with them. The trip instantly became a precious family memory.

My parents' new lifestyle will certainly alter our family traditions, and I've been sad about that. But reflecting on our special time together in Savannah, I see we didn't just help build a new house for another family, we helped build a new tradition for our family.

Congratulations on your surprise blessing. Sometimes they pop up in the most unexpected places

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #75
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Alumaflamingo Habitat Seminar

There will be a Habitat for Humanity seminar at 2015 Alumaflamingo in Sarasota, Florida. Be sure to check out the seminar if you're at the rally and sign-up for the 1/2-day Habitat work session.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #76
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Alumaflamingo was busy! The Habitat seminar was attended by over a dozen people and eleven of those registered to receive the monthly RV CAV newsletter.

A total of eight people (including Danielle and me) participated in the 1/2 day work project. We had a threat of rain for our work day but the wet stuff held off and we were able to accomplish quite a bit of exterior painting. We also painted interior trim (prior to trim installation) and we dug a trench to run the electrical conduit to the house. It was a good day! I'll post some pictures at another time.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #77
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Posting from a smart phone so I'm not certain how these photographs will look on the web.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426552415.588589.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	234331

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426552443.122980.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	234332

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426552466.702408.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	234333

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426552497.141018.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	234334

Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #78
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
We were in Mason, TX recently to help build two houses. The Mason affiliate usually builds one house per year during their 10-week (Feb - May) schedule so building two homes was quite a challenge!

Our team was in Mason for the final three weeks of the project including dedicating the homes. Lots of painting, finish carpentry, electrical and plumbing jobs during the final weeks of building a home.

The wildflowers were beautiful!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430352524.069416.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	237416

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430352569.874646.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	237417

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430352636.122264.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	237419

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1430352681.329419.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	237420

Old 05-01-2015, 04:43 AM   #79
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Thanks for the great pictures, Lucius. It was such a treat to get to build with you and Danielle! So great to be in our airstreams, having fun, and building decent affordable homes. Just don't know how it gets any better than this.

Thanks for posting the pictures, it definitely was a bumper crop for the bluebonnets this year!!!!

Looking forward to my next build with you guys.

KDS
Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Investysly the pictures look great. The wild flower one is great for the may photo contest as the theme is "Airstream and flowers".

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote