Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Lucius,

I am headed to Mason, TX, next weekend, for a Habitat build. Munising, MI the beginning of August and then Marquette, MI. Sure hope to meet you on a build

Good luck in New Jersey. I would love to hear how you liked that build.

Kelly

Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks for posting this GREAT IDEA/OPPORTUNITY for service minded folks who like to get out there with their Airstreams as well. Let's keep it going!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #31
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Sun Setting, Moon Rising

With respect to Munising City Touring Park, my darling Ms Ami and I slept there on a Lake Superior beach campsite with electric for $30+ last Fall. Showers are fair, didn't use dump-site. She collected agates until the sun went down. No bugs, perfect weather.

My favorite photo that day: "Sun setting and Moon rising"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dec 2011 nikon dump 456.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	150519  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #32
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
RV Travel & Service

This RV Care-A-Vanner concept sounds really interesting. My wife and I are considering a one week event being planned for Joplin, MO in June organized by Samaritan's Purse. It's an 1800+ mile trip from the SF Bay Area and I'm thinking I might liker to identify another close by opportunity to make the long trip more worthwhile. What little I know about the planned June event so far is that the purpose is to assist in reconstruction after last year's tornado. This is our first exposure to the idea of combining service with RV travel. Actually we're newbies to this whole RV thing ....

I've read thru the thread so far, and I'm struck by two things. First it seems very few know about the opportunity, particularly out here on the West Coast; and, two, the enthusiasm the idea generates once people learn about it.

I like the idea of starting a Forum whose subject is Care-A-Vanning and its analogs organized by other organizations. Who's going to start it and run it?

Based on what I've read on their website it appears Samaritan's Purse is oriented to disaster relief ... a different focus than what I believe to be HfH's.

HfH has been active here in CA, but I'm not aware that there's been any thought given to attracting geezers like me who have RVs to participate. Think I'll check it out.

Meanwhile, I think it would be really interesting if some of you who have participated in RV Care-A-Vanner would post more of your specific experiences, both good and bad, along with pictures.

Paul
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #33
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer
This RV Care-A-Vanner concept sounds really interesting. My wife and I are considering a one week event being planned for Joplin, MO in June organized by Samaritan's Purse. It's an 1800+ mile trip from the SF Bay Area and I'm thinking I might liker to identify another close by opportunity to make the long trip more worthwhile. What little I know about the planned June event so far is that the purpose is to assist in reconstruction after last year's tornado. This is our first exposure to the idea of combining service with RV travel. Actually we're newbies to this whole RV thing ....
Unless you have your heart set on Joplin, MO you may want to consider Colorado or New Mexico. Both of them have builds in June and the travel time you save may allow you to work the entire two weeks. If a build is full it doesn't hurt to sign-up for it. You may be 1st on the waiting list so you could fill somebody's spot if they drop out.

Some Habitat affiliates permit drop-in volunteers - call or email and ask if they have room. The build we worked on in Florida permitted one couple to work a week rather than the full two weeks. Each affiliate is handles these matters differently so you have to contact them in advance.

Quote:
I've read thru the thread so far, and I'm struck by two things. First it seems very few know about the opportunity, particularly out here on the West Coast; and, two, the enthusiasm the idea generates once people learn about it.
The more I ask around the more I find people who have participated in RV Care-A-Vanners (and similar groups). Good Sam has HfH participants, Escapees has HfH participants, other RV forums have HfH participants, but it's been a little slow to catch-on here at AirForums. The idea is gaining momentum and people are beginning to discuss their experiences on AirForums. This thread is a good start.

Quote:
HfH has been active here in CA, but I'm not aware that there's been any thought given to attracting geezers like me who have RVs to participate. Think I'll check it out.
I see there are some Habitat affiliates in California. Check here for a list on Ongoing Habitat Builds. I like your idea - go ahead and contact an affiliate in California and see what you can work out. Even if they don't have a place to park your rig maybe you can find a nearby campground. Post your dates on AirForums, maybe others can join you.

For example, I contacted three affiliates in New Jersey and one of them had dates that worked out for us to help for a week. Unfortunately, they are not able to accept additional volunteers for that build. But they are excited to learn more about RV Care-A-Vanners so they can have another source of volunteers. Maybe next year they'll have a 2 week build.

I'll post some pictures later.

Lucius
Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #34
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Some Pictures from Dade City, FL

1) This is what we started with. Contractors built the two foundations.

2) In a few days the floor and walls were going up.

3) The roof trusses are raised.

4) The exterior of the first house is nearly complete.

5) The interior walls are underway.

6) Don't forget break-time/lunch-time.

7) This is dedication day (on a different house). Volunteers, friends and family gather to welcome the new homeowners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	resized_foundations.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	150694   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_floor_and_walls.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	150700  

Name:	resized_roof_trusses.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	150701   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_1st_house_nearing_completion.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	150702  

Name:	resized_interior_walls.jpg
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	150703   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_break_time.jpg
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	150704  

Name:	resized_dedication_day.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	150705  
Old 02-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What rewarding endeavors, Lucius. Good for you.

We are most drawn right now to the idea of a long weekend, rather than a 2 week commitment.

We are following this thread and plan to jump into this when we can.

Maggie
Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #36
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
California

Lucius, thanks for posting the pics. I thinking that I'll print them out, put them on a piece of poster board for display at a NorCal rally coming up in April. The idea would be to raise awareness and see if anyone else in our area might be interested in supporting local builds. Stay tuned ...

So, if you, or anyone else has more build pics they'd like to share, please post, or pm them to me.

Thanks for the help,

Paul
Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Cheers to everyone who keeps this thread active and interseting.
Jeers to whomever was pushing it to a back page.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #38
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
1 or More Days in New Orleans...

If you're within driving distance of New Orleans there are two great "re-building" opportunities I'm aware of - Saint Bernard Project and Habitat for Humanity. Both let you sign-up online for one or more days. So it's easy to make a long weekend or even a mid-week commitment.

Saint Bernard Project Volunteer Page

Habitat for Humanity Volunteer Page

Saint Bernard differs from Habitat in the sense they focus on re-building existing houses. The homeowner already owns (or has purchased) the property and SBP offers the manpower. In many cases the homeowner provides the materials but each situation is different. With SBP you'll find a wide variety of houses in various stages of completion. You probably will not be installing roof trusses but you never know. We've worked with SBP twice and both times it was very rewarding. It's surprising to me that SBP is not better known since the Saint Bernard Parish was one of the most severely impacted by Hurricane Katrina. Nearly the entire parish was under water!

HfH in New Orleans typically follows their normal practices - they usually build new homes so you'll encounter just about all the aspects of building a house.

Both are very worthwhile endeavors and both are very flexible when it comes to volunteering for as little as one day.

I'm amazed that with all SBP and HfH and other groups have done in and around New Orleans, it will still take many more years until they fulfill the need for rebuilding homes.

If anybody from AirForums is interested in New Orleans let us know - we may be able to join you.

Don't forget with all these projects, whether it's in New Orleans or not, flexibility is the key. There are inefficiencies in the system and we're dealing with volunteers. The team leaders are frequently working multiple job sites. Be understanding and don't get upset if you find yourself working at something menial. Similarly, you may be assigned to something you don't feel comfortable doing. Ask for assistance if needed. If all else fails... sweep the floor and organize the tools.

I think I said this previously but it's worth repeating: Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be permanently bent out of shape.

Lucius
Old 02-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I think I said this previously but it's worth repeating: Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be permanently bent out of shape.

Lucius

I guess the thing to do is to get on that HFH website and look around to see what's available. Let the preconceived notions go.

Maggie
Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #40
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
We just completed two weeks in Thibodaux, LA. I'll post pictures later. One RVer worked for one week only rather than two weeks. Some had been there as long as seven weeks. Had a good time and now we've signed up for another in NM for next winter.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #41
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
We just completed two weeks in Thibodaux, LA. I'll post pictures later. One RVer worked for one week only rather than two weeks. Some had been there as long as seven weeks. Had a good time and now we've signed up for another in NM for next winter.

Lucius
Congratulations, I am in Mason,Tx right now on a Habitat build and we have a couple of people that just left the Thibodaux build. One is a young man named Jake and his girlfriend, Angela. We also have Dave and Nancy. Were they with you? I'm into my 3rd of 5 weeks here. What a great group and a wonderful place to be in the spring. I look forward to seeing your pictures. I'll try to figure out how to post some from Mason!

Kelly
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #42
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Yes, we met Jake & Angela - great people and wonderful to see young Care-A-Vanners. In a week or so you'll meet Stuart & Lois. We've been with them twice and thoroughly enjoyed our time with them.

Lucius

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote