Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, that sounds like a really good idea!

I would think and hope that you could get a gathering of people willing to do this, wherever in the country it was held.

However many people were able to be there on that weekend, that would be that many more hands for whatever needed to be done.

Keep workin' on this, and keep us posted.

Maggie

Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
This is a great idea. Thanks for posting

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Interesting concept. We support HH on the local level and I have been involved in several builds. At one point we did gutter installations on all the houses that were built in our 5 county area. (Worked for a gutter company at the time).

There is another similar program that does building and renovation, name escapes me at the moment, but it is similar to this one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Lucius, We are right here in the area, Kiln is less than an hour from N.O. If I can help PM me and now that I posted here I will get updates on this thread. I have always looked at Habitat as something I would like to do - post Katrina I helped several friends but nothing formal like this.

One additional solution but one that may complicate a rally planners life is a 2 week rally with "come as you can" dates for rally go'ers. That way there won't be too many people there at one time and the "help" will be there over a longer period phased into a project. Maybe ask people their skills and plan them into a job when needed (sheetrock is later than framing which is after concrete and so on). Get the skills when you need them.

Let me know if I can help - this sounds like something I would like to do.

Mik
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Lots of good ideas here. I realize many Air Forums members are w*rking so a two week "vacation" is not realistic. However, for those who are able... the idea of Air Forums members participating in a Care-A-Van sounds like fun.

I'll start the informal caravan by saying we're signed up for the Thibodaux, LA build beginning February 19th. See the list of Care-A-Vans here:

RV Care-A-Vanners Program -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

We're actually 1st on the wait list for Thibodaux. Even if a build is listed as Full you can apply for that build and put your name on the wait list. If you're one of the first few on the wait list you may be able to participate since people drop out for various reasons.

On a related note: what do you think about a Habitat weekend rally somewhere around the country? If there's interest we can start a separate rally thread. Danielle and I participated in a rally last year at this time. Another Air Forums couple and their daughter and son-in-law worked on a house in New Orleans. We had a good time and helped somebody in the process. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...0-a-61884.html

Lucius
How wonderful of you to talk about Habitat RV Care-A-Vanners on the Forums! I did a 3 week build in Mason, Tx last year and loved it. I have signed up for Mason again this year and will do two builds on the UP in Michigan in August and Sept. It's a great way to meet wonderful people and give back at the same time. Thanks for posting it on the Forums. Hope to meet you at one of the builds.

Kelly
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
I did a 3 week build in Mason, Tx last year and loved it. I have signed up for Mason again this year and will do two builds on the UP in Michigan in August and Sept.

Kelly
Hello Kelly,

Danielle and I heard the Mason, TX build is very rewarding and fun too! Is the Mason build one of the 20 pounders? That is, they feed you so well you might gain 20 pounds. Of course you can't really gain that much weight in such a short period of time but a pound or two maybe.

I'm continuing to look at the build schedule so we can identify a trip for summer or early fall. We noticed the upcoming builds in Michigan and Wisconsin - they look appealing.

Each build (each Habitat affiliate) is different. Camping will be different, food (if provided) will be different, the local community will be different. All of that sounds interesting. The one common denominator is helping to provide affordable housing to local families.

Lucius
Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Care A Vanners

Having a Forums Build sounds like a great idea. We have participated in several local builds along with a care a vanner project in Marquette, Mi. If you were at Dade City I am sure you met "Harry At The Beach" and Russell. They have been traveling together leading caravaner projects for some time. The Marquette site is an ongoing build and would make for a great summer project. There is also need in Avon Park, Florida year round for volunteers. What a great way to enjoy our flexible Airstream lifestyle.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Munising, Michigan Build?

Has anyone participated in the Munising, MI build in the past? It looks like it has water/electric/sewer hookups at the RV camping location but the houses might be quite a distance from the camp site. Anyone have experience at this build?

It will be a long drive for us to go from Georgia to the Upper Penisula so I don't want to use a substantial portion of my tow vehicle fuel budget driving to/from the work site. In two weeks time, 20 - 30 miles each way can add up.

Any other comments about the UP in August? I've never been there during that time. Temperatures seem reasonable based on Weather.com but what about humidity, insects, other?

Thanks, Lucius
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Has anyone participated in the Munising, MI build in the past? It looks like it has water/electric/sewer hookups at the RV camping location but the houses might be quite a distance from the camp site. Anyone have experience at this build?

It will be a long drive for us to go from Georgia to the Upper Penisula so I don't want to use a substantial portion of my tow vehicle fuel budget driving to/from the work site. In two weeks time, 20 - 30 miles each way can add up.

Any other comments about the UP in August? I've never been there during that time. Temperatures seem reasonable based on Weather.com but what about humidity, insects, other?

Thanks, Lucius
No humidity, cool nights, and by August most of the mosquitos are gone (some still around, but not bad), and black flies are long gone.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Wow, this is great. I've always wanted to do a Habitat build, but have always had something come up and not been able to, so it'd be great to do something like this!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Munising

Lucius,

We have passed through this area several times and August is very nice. I don't know exactly where the build site is but it may be wise to move to a campground closer to the site. There is a real nice RV park on the West side of town called Munising City Touring Park. This park is located right on the South bank of lake Superior. I know the WBCCI has made caravan stops there before so I am sure you could get a group rate. The time and money saved by not having to commute so far may offset the additional parking fees. Also it is not uncommon for folks to car pool from the campground to the work site.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello Kelly,

Danielle and I heard the Mason, TX build is very rewarding and fun too! Is the Mason build one of the 20 pounders? That is, they feed you so well you might gain 20 pounds. Of course you can't really gain that much weight in such a short period of time but a pound or two maybe.

I'm continuing to look at the build schedule so we can identify a trip for summer or early fall. We noticed the upcoming builds in Michigan and Wisconsin - they look appealing.

Each build (each Habitat affiliate) is different. Camping will be different, food (if provided) will be different, the local community will be different. All of that sounds interesting. The one common denominator is helping to provide affordable housing to local families.

Lucius

Yes Lucius, this is definitely one of the "20 pound builds"!!!! Such good food and great people serving it. I love the small town of Mason and everyone makes you feel comfortable!. The City Park that we stay in has full hookups and super clean , nice restrooms. They have many things to do in the area like kayaking , swimming, and usually a rodeo right there at the park. It's a great build. One of the couples I met last year will meet me in Munising, MI for that build which will be a lot of fun. And yes, I called the Habitat office there and they said although the site might be a considerable distance from the RV park, the nightly park rate is $10 and most people carpool to the site. For me that sounds great. I am really looking forward to getting out of the Texas heat in August and September and what better way to do it? This project is a ABWK. The woman I spoke with said we will be painting several low income houses. No actual building. Hope to meet you on a future build!

Kelly
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eatonton , Georgia
Thumbs up Habitat - Love it!!!!

We agree with Lucius. The Habitat Care-a-Vanners builds are extremely rewarding as well as fun.

We have participated in several local builds and when I retired in early '07 and bought our 1st camper (17ft TT and that's another story) I wanted to "give back" so we signed up for a build in Vero Beach, FL. We were newbies to camping, I have no construction skills and had no idea what to expect. By day 2 I was the "Queen of Framing" and using a nail gun and skill saw like a pro. (The pro part may be an exaggeration). We enjoyed it so much we went back in the fall and recruited friends to go as well.

We've been busy with other travels since but are returning to Vero in March in our new AS as well as trying to fit other builds into our schedule.

There are also on-going builds if you don't have 2 weeks to spare.

Ongoing building opportunities -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

Hope to see some of you out there with a hammer in hand. A weekend get together sounds fun!!
SoftTouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #28
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
The RV Care-A-Vanner build list is updated regularly - sometimes as often as every week. I noticed builds have been added in North Carolina, Washington state, numerous locations in the Southwest and lots of others.

Check here for the build schedule.

SoftTouch, thanks for the suggestion regarding ongoing builds - we contacted a Habitat affiliate in New Jersey and plan to work with them a few days in June.

Danielle and I are hoping to work in Dade City, Florida again in the fall. When the dates firm up we'll post something here. Maybe some of you can join us.

Lucius