Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet h1n1 vaccine

h1n1 vaccine

Did you get it? Will/would you get it if available? If no, why.
Killed vaccine or live vaccine?

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Suz, h1n1 vaccine is a live vaccine. From what I have read the vaccine is being produced and dispensed too slow to help the general public for this flu season. Time will tell.
CDC H1N1 Flu | Questions & Answers Novel H1N1 Influenza Vaccine

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Hi Suz, h1n1 vaccine is a live vaccine.
There are two H1N1 vaccines...a live one and one made just like the seasonal flu vaccine of the last...what 15-20 years?

I believe the high volume vaccine we are waiting for is the "egg based" "non-live" vaccine.

Also, my understanding is that it is quite likely that there will be additional "waves" of the H1N1 flu as the winter progresses...we are not out of the woods for quite some time.

I am still hopeful that there will be "non-live" H1N1 vaccine supplys in the next month or so???? I will get the vaccine when available...sooner the better

Please read and research...much rumor floating around about this vaccine...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We plan to get it when it's available in the boondocks.

Lynn
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Public Education

There has been a lot of media hype on H1N1 to date, a lot not based in the reality of the situation. Each one has to make informed choices, i.e. get both side of the story.

Here's one MD that has extensive experience in this area - check out the swine flu data link:

RUSSELLBLAYLOCKMD.COM

Dr Blaylock did an interview with Dr Mercola. If you have the time to watch & listen, is quite educational & offers additional information to check out, especially on the CDC's own web site:

Swine Flu -- One of Most Massive Cover-ups in American History

I wasn't quite sure how a discussion on the swine flue vaccine would be appropriate on the Airstream Forums, but, after listening to the Mercola interview last night, I learned that one of the "ingredients" (along with mercury) in some vaccines is:

ALUMINUM!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Just got back from the doctors for my yearly allergy appt. ---- I passed on it.
They were out of standard flu shots which I do get and will once they get the next supply.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
If it is a "National Emergency"....they aint doin much about it!
Except talk.....Maybe they will give the vaccine to the WallStreet
bankers for fear of another financial meltdown. H1(not)1
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I watched a special the other day offering many tips to help keep you well. One was blowing your nose (quite forcefully) at least once a day. Keeping your hands washed and away from face and eyes. Swab the inside of both your nostrils with a cotton swab soaked in salt water. Also, gargle at least once a day with salt water. I hope everyone remains healthy.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Even though the supply of H1N1 vaccine may be a little short...I am confident many will "pass" on getting it that there will be enough for my wife and I

Our daughter and 3 grandsons age 9-14 all had the flu...assumed to be H1N1 due to the fact that their fevers were 104+ and they all contracted it soooo quickly...supposedly the H1N1 is extemely contagious.

They are all fully recovered after about one week of fever and a few days just not quite up to speed.

Tom
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've gotten the annual flu shot and the H1N1 shot. I work in a convention center so I'm exposed to a large number of people. We often say that this place is a working germ pit. Although I'm 61 my doctor advised me to get the shot if it becomes available. At year end we have a 15,000 person youth convention. The kids here will be from 16 years old to 24. I figure if it's going to hit us, this is going to be our best chance of exposure since it's the young folks who are carrying this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Even this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
I watched a special the other day offering many tips to help keep you well. One was blowing your nose (quite forcefully) at least once a day. Keeping your hands washed and away from face and eyes. Swab the inside of both your nostrils with a cotton swab soaked in salt water. Also, gargle at least once a day with salt water. I hope everyone remains healthy.
At night, just before sleeping, put on a nose clip and slowly sink under salt water for the night..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
Sounds like tips off of an email that is being passed around. Here's Snope's evaluation of it:

snopes.com: Dr. Vinay Goyal - Good Advice for Preventing Swine Flu

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Like Jack, I'm in a public occupation as well. I have gotten both the H1N1 and the seasonal vaccines as have my employees as a condition of continuing employment. I can't afford to have any of my employees out for five to seven days while they're sick. For the vast majority of the public, there is no downside; but there's a chance that it may actually work, and you may not get sick. There's always the chance that you may not get sick anyway, but why not hedge your bets!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we View Post
h1n1 vaccine

Did you get it? Will/would you get it if available? If no, why.
Killed vaccine or live vaccine?

suz
NO, who is the supplier, china? Nobody seems to be talking about it.
In the past new vaccines were more of a problem with vaccine than virus.
Such an emergency, all safeguards will be dropped so that it will be available.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We have got ours and so has our grandson and our son. Daughter-in-law is in her 2nd trimester pregnancy and will get it when the vaccine without the adjutant is available for pregnant women. This flu can be deadly for the young.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
H1N1 is less likely, the older you are! Here's one where age is with us! Infants and very young children are most at risk, along with pregnant women. Then children age 12 - 24. Then adults age 25 -60. People over age 60 or so were exposed to the Spanish flu in the early - mid 50's, which is a precursor to this flu, and so are felt to have some immunity to it. Healthy people are as much at risk as those with chronic health problems. I'm in health care, and so at some point, it will be available to me. I'll get it when I can. I've already had my regular flu shot. One time have that nasty flu and missing a week of work while I coughed my toes out, was enough.
Keep up with the CDC website, for the latest news on it.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
NO, who is the supplier, china? Nobody seems to be talking about it. .
It's been on the news several times. The vaccine is being made at a Sanofi Pasteur facility in Stillwater, Pa. I did some work for them once, about 35 years ago. They've been at it quite awhile.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet H1N1 - airforums.com appropriate topic? You Bet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
I wasn't quite sure how a discussion on the swine flue vaccine would be appropriate on the Airstream Forums, but, after listening to the Mercola interview last night, I learned that one of the "ingredients" (along with mercury) in some vaccines is:

ALUMINUM!
"

(Look in Airstream Community Forums under the heading OUR COMMUNITY and the sub forums below it.)

I noticed early on after joining Airforums.com that we are a "full service" organization. We not only take care of our Airstreams but each other as well! Not only do we rally at parks and campgrounds around the country and world, we rally around each other when the need is present. For instance, the thousands of posts and views over many, many months suggest many of us will never forget when Terry was severly injured while riding his scooter and the trials he and Marie have endured since the accident.

I'm leaning YES on the H1N1 because of past respirtory issues, but haven't totally decided as yet. I just thought I'd see what others had to say on the subject

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
No! absolutely not. Never.

Hi, I never get any flu shots and don't ever plan on it either. My wife got two and got sicker'n h3ll both times. My Dad worked at a medical building and the Doctor offered him a free shot, he declined. A few days later, most of the Doctor's staff were out sick after they all got their flu shots. One Doctor's opinion and statement was that if you were born before 1950 and are in good health/physical condition you won't need the shots. We are in good condition and shape for our age. Also when ever they create a shortage of anything, human nature, is for people to want it even more. This is another way to jump start the economy, selling shots. Keep clean, eat good foods, get off of your @$$, and move once in a while; This will do more for you than any shot will. [MY OPINION]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I had someone give me the oh-so-helpful advice that all I needed to do was get a 'mild' case of the flu, and then I'd be safe for the rest of the season. She didn't indicate how you were supposed to get a 'mild' case, as opposed to the one that kills you (or makes you really really sick for a couple weeks). She also thought Vitamin C was the answer if you did get it. If it were that simple, no one would ever die of it. Unfortunately, every year a lot of people do die, and this year there's twice as much chance of getting a flu, or if you really win the viral lottery you could even get it twice - the regular flu and the swine flu.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote