Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Our second amendment is one we fought for and still fight for.
Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #62
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
i stick with leave your gun at home. when a DA,lawers,court systems, get done with you, permit or not, it don't come with a insurance policy. that is how the system works, everyone gets a piece of the pie.
Well that beats BEING the PIE and getting EATEN.

Live how you want, thats what makes America ,...America!!!!

Stream safe.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 11-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
In a country that enjoys so many freedoms – the perceived need to carry a concealed weapon for personal protection seems such an absolutely bizarre contradiction.

It is clear from many of these kinds of threads – and from some posters in this thread – that the right to carry a firearm does not at all equate to responsible carrying or competence in its use. Rather, it would seem that many of the testosterone crowd, who seem so vocal and defiant, are little more than displaced Rambo wanna-be's who represent a genuine threat to themselves and those around them.

Jay
It's usually not considered polite to paint with such a broad brush in insulting people that disagree with you. As a Canadian you live under a different set of laws and a different national heritage. In America we have amendments to our Constitution and we treasure them.

Do what you want to do and let others do the same.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Consider this:

My 1963 Airstream has the hinge pins on the exterior of the door. Anyone with common hand tools could have the door off the trailer about as quickly as I can open the door with the key.

If you already haven't done it, drill and rivet your hinge pin to at least slow a criminal down.

In a society that condones or tolerates drug abuse and illigal alliens, it only seems prudent to take precautions to protect yourself and your family. Persons that have already broken one law are more likely to break more laws in the future. It's like lying. The first time is hard. Each subsequent lie becomes easier.

I don't derive enjoyment or empowerment by carrying a weapon. But, the Founding Fathers knew that a well armed citizenry was the best safeguard against tyranny. The goal is to have (but never use) a weapon to ensure your personal safety & freedom.
WBCCI #1200
Old 11-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
It's usually not considered polite to paint with such a broad brush in insulting people that disagree with you. As a Canadian you live under a different set of laws and a different national heritage. In America we have amendments to our Constitution and we treasure them.

Do what you want to do and let others do the same.
My apologies - no insult, nor no broad brush intended – I am sure there are many who are fully competent in their skills and their knowledge about the use of a firearm – but I can tell you – I am not filled with any sense of optimism by those who gravitate to the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" "oorah" type of responses that seem so characteristic of this topic – no matter where it appears – those are the folks I target my comments towards – and those are the same folks who seem just as quick to raise everyones blood pressure when defending the right to bear arms – frankly I'm tired of listening to it – my God – this right was established over 200 years ago – isn't it about time to tackle the source of the issue? – not perpetuate its symptoms? - and as for International differences? – well – we proudly share much of the same heritage and enjoy many of the same values – but evolved somewhat differently – we envy you some of your differences – and cherish others of our own .....

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
My apologies - no insult, nor no broad brush intended – I am sure there are many who are fully competent in their skills and their knowledge about the use of a firearm – but I can tell you – I am not filled with any sense of optimism by those who gravitate to the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" "oorah" type of responses that seem so characteristic of this topic – no matter where it appears – those are the folks I target my comments towards – and those are the same folks who seem just as quick to raise everyones blood pressure when defending the right to bear arms – frankly I'm tired of listening to it – my God – this right was established over 200 years ago – isn't it about time to tackle the source of the issue? – not perpetuate its symptoms? - and as for International differences? – well – we proudly share much of the same heritage and enjoy many of the same values – but evolved somewhat differently – we envy you some of your differences – and cherish others of our own .....

Thanks,

Jay
The source/reason for the first ten amendments (Right to bear arms is #2) to our Constitution remain. They were all enacted by our founders so the American populace had the tools at hand to foment and carry out another revolution should the population decide it needed one. One of the differences we cherish.

Of course Americans also have the freedom to not own, use or posses a firearm too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1957 26' Overlander
Alva , Oklahoma
Did any of you hear in the news a couple of months ago about a couple from Oklahoma traveling on I-40 in New Mexico? Out along a remote area on the hi way two prison escapees forced them out of their pickup into their trailer tied them up unhooked their pickup lit the trailer on fire and drove away. The escapees were caught way up north a few days later in the stolen pickup. The couple died a horrible death in their trailer as it was consumed in flames. When I first heard this in the news I mentioned to my wife how the story might have been different had that couple been packing. As for my wife and I we both carry. I keep a Colt government model 380 on me and a larger handgun with hi capacity magazines nearby. I doubt an NRA sticker would have helped the couple that burned in their own trailer as the convicts drove away in their pickup.
This next thing happened about 18 miles from home. A man driving down the road sees an OHP Trooper and a man fighting in the ditch the guy is trying to get the troopers gun out of his holster the trooper is over powered and doing all he can to hold the gun in the holster. Man driving by pulls over exits his pickup with gun in hand, Fires one round into the air the bad guy looks toward him down the barrel of a 44mag. The Good Samaritan says next one has your name on it pal if you don’t stop. Trooper regroups cuffs the bad guy and takes him away. I personally know that trooper he has told me how thankful he is that the Good Samaritan came along. He did say he had to clean his drawers after he heard that 44mag go off but he was already in the process of soiling them anyway.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #68
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk T View Post
Did any of you hear in the news a couple of months ago about a couple from Oklahoma traveling on I-40 in New Mexico? Out along a remote area on the hi way two prison escapees forced them out of their pickup into their trailer tied them up unhooked their pickup lit the trailer on fire and drove away. The escapees were caught way up north a few days later in the stolen pickup. The couple died a horrible death in their trailer as it was consumed in flames. When I first heard this in the news I mentioned to my wife how the story might have been different had that couple been packing. As for my wife and I we both carry. I keep a Colt government model 380 on me and a larger handgun with hi capacity magazines nearby. I doubt an NRA sticker would have helped the couple that burned in their own trailer as the convicts drove away in their pickup.
This next thing happened about 18 miles from home. A man driving down the road sees an OHP Trooper and a man fighting in the ditch the guy is trying to get the troopers gun out of his holster the trooper is over powered and doing all he can to hold the gun in the holster. Man driving by pulls over exits his pickup with gun in hand, Fires one round into the air the bad guy looks toward him down the barrel of a 44mag. The Good Samaritan says next one has your name on it pal if you don’t stop. Trooper regroups cuffs the bad guy and takes him away. I personally know that trooper he has told me how thankful he is that the Good Samaritan came along. He did say he had to clean his drawers after he heard that 44mag go off but he was already in the process of soiling them anyway.
WOW! Just goes to show, you never know.

I'm VERY thankful for having that Right/Option. It's aLWAYS better to have an option than not.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #69

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
{Mod Hat On]

Alright folks, I've warned you once already. Endlessly debating the merits of carrying vs not carrying is not ok. This is an argument that no one can win. I've been a moderator a long time, and I can't even tell you how often gun threads have become so contentious that we have to shut them down.

Use this thread to discuss laws related to carrying your weapon, How it effects you traveling from state to state, that sort of thing. You do not need to defend your right to carry, or NOT carry a weapon.

We've already had to remove several argumentative posts. Let's be nice to each other, and try to keep this thread open.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #70
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
If you have a CHL,CWL,CCW ,,..etc, Then you can travel from state to state legally,if they have a recipore<sp>. Which means the state your travelin to will honor you license.

I also think that there is a law in most states that you CAN carry if the GUN is UNLOADED and ammo is kept away from the GUN. Not easily accessable. It's called a "travel law"...Just check before you travel.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
We carry Better safe than sorry
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #72

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL's 77 View Post
Moosetags: That 26 is a sweet tool, easy to conceal. I prefer the 19 on the range.
We each carry one of the Glock 26's. These both have the night sights. We have found them to be as accurate as the 19's. The 26 works well in an ankle holster. I carried it that way for about 10 years. It is really nice that the magazines from the 19's fit the 26's and extend its short grip by an inch and a half, which gives it a better grip and five more rounds. We also each have one of the 33 round magazines which fits the 26, the 17, and the 19.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
guns

wild west is back, where's billy and james boys, like i said leave your guns at home.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #74
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
going camping stated things pretty well.

look into "Veterans Disarment Act" google it. see what our worthless govt is doing for Combat Veterans these days,

Carry the biggest fully automatic NON registered weapon you can safely handle, remember gun control is using both hands.Protect yourself from the overreaching politicians.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #75
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm thinking of mounting a pair of 50 calibre machine guns on the hood of my TV to take care of unruly highway folk that might be tempted to cut me off.

Can anyone point out which states would object to me crossing into them?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #76
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Guns - take them or not?

My wife and I both have CHL to carry. We are both RED. (Retired, extremely dangerous) Decision was made a long time ago to shoot to kill if threatened. We both have had self-defense courses as well as gun training. We carry a 12 gauge pump in the MOHO with 8 rounds of 00 Buckshot. Hearing someone jack a shell into one of these will strike fear into the heart of all but those on coke or crystal meth. From what I hear from officers that deal with the addicts, the only thing that stops them is brute force or firepower. At age 72, brute force is not an option for me, but firepower is.
KMP
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Yes, the law which trumps all others is known as the "Law of the Land," that being the Constitution. I wouldn't use that as a way to defend my right to own/carry, as that is already established.

The original questions weretake them or not, how many Airstreamers carry a gun for security while traveling in their units, long gun or pistol?

Yes, if you can it justify (to yourself) then take them. We don't always take them, but we can't think of a reason not to.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #78

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

We recognize that topics involving guns or weapons tend to elicit strong, emotional replies, and we try to let things run their course, intervening only when absolutely necessary.

The staff has taken significant steps to keep this thread in check and civil. We posted twice asking that posters be mindful of the thread title, and we have removed numerous off topic and inflammatory posts.

Those efforts simply have not worked and regretfully this thread is now closed.

The Staff

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread