Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Touching on a couple of points.

Fear: No I'm not in fear and thus need to have a firearm. The Mrs. and I are both competition shooters. We also boondock out in the middle of the desert. So while there we practice our shooting. Also a firearm is akin to a spare tire or any other survival equipment. Have it in case you ever need it. Don't forget some places in our great country are dicey at best. Along our southern border and sadly many bad people like to brew their meth in our deserts and grow their pot in our forrest lands. Public land is used for criminal activity.

Concealed carry: this is one half of the firearm while traveling discussion. To CCW you need a permit and as said some states honor other states permits and some don't. Then you have Arizona that allows any person who can lawfully own a pistol to concealed carry without a permit. We don't CCW, don't see a need but thats just us. Don't blame anyone who does.

Firearm in the trailer: Your trailer is your house and as such you may legally have firearms in your trailer as you would your house. Some States or Cities have restricted their residents from handgun ownership but you as a traveler can legally posses your fire arm in your trailer per the commerce clause of the constitution.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Touching on a couple of points.

Fear: No I'm not in fear and thus need to have a firearm. The Mrs. and I are both competition shooters. We also boondock out in the middle of the desert. So while there we practice our shooting. Also a firearm is akin to a spare tire or any other survival equipment. Have it in case you ever need it. Don't forget some places in our great country are dicey at best. Along our southern border and sadly many bad people like to brew their meth in our deserts and grow their pot in our forrest lands. Public land is used for criminal activity.

Concealed carry: this is one half of the firearm while traveling discussion. To CCW you need a permit and as said some states honor other states permits and some don't. Then you have Arizona that allows any person who can lawfully own a pistol to concealed carry without a permit. We don't CCW, don't see a need but thats just us. Don't blame anyone who does.

Firearm in the trailer: Your trailer is your house and as such you may legally have firearms in your trailer as you would your house. Some States or Cities have restricted their residents from handgun ownership but you as a traveler can legally posses your fire arm in your trailer per the commerce clause of the constitution.
Well stated.

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #45
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
Castle does not apply everywhere. We still don't have it in Minnesota.
609.06 AUTHORIZED USE OF FORCE.
Subdivision 1.When authorized.

Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 2, reasonable force may be used upon or toward the person of another without the other's consent when the following circumstances exist or the actor reasonably believes them to exist:
(1) when used by a public officer or one assisting a public officer under the public officer's direction:
(a) in effecting a lawful arrest; or
(b) in the execution of legal process; or
(c) in enforcing an order of the court; or
(d) in executing any other duty imposed upon the public officer by law; or
(2) when used by a person not a public officer in arresting another in the cases and in the manner provided by law and delivering the other to an officer competent to receive the other into custody; or
(3) when used by any person in resisting or aiding another to resist an offense against the person; or
(4) when used by any person in lawful possession of real or personal property, or by another assisting the person in lawful possession, in resisting a trespass upon or other unlawful interference with such property; or. . .

And this:
609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.
The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #46
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We each carry Glock 26's, and a Glock 19 in the tow vehicle. We carry them with us everywhere.
I used to carry a Glock 26. I switched to a Walther PPS 9mm. It has two less rounds, slimmer, lighter and slightly less tall. I like it. The 26 sits at my bedside with a guide rod laser.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Absolutely not. And I certainly do not feel safer knowing that anywhere I go, shopping, camping, traveling, guns surround me. I'm stuck in some other generation, I can see. No offense to anyone, just my feelings, strong ones. My life seems not to be the reality of today. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Like American Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
Most likely 100% in Texas now....
We don't leave home without it! This weekend while in a pawn shop that sold new firearms in West Texas I spotted a Tarus "JUDGE" A brazilian firearm that shoots 45 ca. and 3".410 shotgun shells.Sounds like a good snake gun.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Thanks to posters #43 & #45. I have always believed that your travel trailer was your "home" and therefore it was your right to protect.

Also, it is true that CCW permits are not universally accepted, and therefore carrying a weapon in your TV varies from State to State.

Now, what do we do when traveling extensively and want to stay in a National or State Park which post "No firearms". We sometimes travel for weeks or months at a time, and cross multiple State borders. It is not only about the destination, but sometimes the journey. We can all name unsafe areas that we have traveled through, with no intention of staying overnight.
WBCCI #1200
Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Quote from GT 63 "how many of you are travelling in that much fear that you must carry a gun?"

This offends, me, like I am a weak sniveling fear ridden freak for carrying a weapon.
Question, GT63, do you have a spare tire? Extra parts for your A/S? Do you carry a first aid kit?
Are you traveling in that much fear, for doing so? NO.
Flat tires happen, not often I admit, but they happen. So we all carry spare tires, the same with first aid kits, accidents happen, better to be with the proper tools, than stuck in the wilderness without. Had a friend of mine with a trailer boondocking, a local bear 'decided' he wanted in his trailer because he could smell the food inside.
His 45 changed things immediately, for the better. The bear decided to leave.
One time I was traveling in a major city, as I was stopped at a light, five 'thugs' all walked up on me and began to flip me trouble and stopped at my open window, I smiled and lifted my gun up of off the console and said "Have a nice day.". They all immediately left, instant change of attitude. No i didn't point it at them, just lifted it up a bit so they could see it. It has nothing to do with fear.. it has to do with readiness and preparation for life's little emergencies, so stop judging others and join the NRA.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
In WI we dont have a 'castle doctrine'...yet...
Nor do we have CCW allowed...but we recently have been 'open carrying' much to the surprise of some. Obviously there are certain restrictions to open carrying...i always have mine with me in the trailer...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I think that Illinois and Wisconsin are the only states remaining that don't have some form of concealed carry, and only a few states remain that do not recognize out-of-state permits.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
Thanks to posters #43 & #45. I have always believed that your travel trailer was your "home" and therefore it was your right to protect.

Also, it is true that CCW permits are not universally accepted, and therefore carrying a weapon in your TV varies from State to State.

Now, what do we do when traveling extensively and want to stay in a National or State Park which post "No firearms". We sometimes travel for weeks or months at a time, and cross multiple State borders. It is not only about the destination, but sometimes the journey. We can all name unsafe areas that we have traveled through, with no intention of staying overnight.
I agree with the assessment that your trailer is your house. I leave the weapon in the trailer. When it is a vehicle (moving) I cannot get to the weapon but once I stop it becomes our home.

In a a National Park, I take it anyway. I would rather pay the fine protecting myself and my wife than not have it and see the consequences.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 11-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
My wife just bought a FN FNP 9 which comes with 3, 16 round mags and I bought a FN FNP 45 with 3, 14 round mags. After spending 4 months as a campground host this summer I found that at least 50% of the RVer's mentioned that they carry a gun or rifle with them. I would guess that many more did so but didn't mention it. I would hazard to guess that a RV park is a very well armed camp. The last place I would pick to start trouble if I were a bag guy. Most folks were over 50 and ex-military or retired LE. We also carry a Mossberg 12 gauge, a .357 Marlin lever action and a Ruger 10-22. Since we are retired we both enjoy shooting. We were both taught to shoot in grade school by our fathers who were ex-Marines. We also taught our daughters to shoot and they carry Taurus Titanium .38's. Americans are well armed my friends like it or not...
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #55
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
G36 here. I carry 24/7.

In my line of work, it's a necessity.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by Six.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #56
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
if you cross state lines with your gun, BIG TROUBLE.
Not necessarily true, Thats the main reason to get a chl license. Recipore <sp>. Texas CHL is Honored in Arkansas,New Mexico,Oklahoma,Georgia,Florida,......ETC.

Get one and carry, if you fell you need to.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Closed Thread