Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Guns in Parks

I just read an article on AOL about an Iraq Vet losing it,being in a shoot out and killing a ranger on his way into a National Park.They are critical of Congress and NRA for getting the law passed.
Now we all know that if they had a sign there saying (NO GUNS ALLOWED),
he would have stopped his car and thrown the guns in the ditch before going into the park.
How stupid are these people. Dave

Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What law are you referring to?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Federal law passed allowing states to decide on the legality of guns in Nat. Parks. Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Per Washington Post-

"The law let licensed gun owners bring firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges as long as they are allowed by state law. Guns are allowed in all but about 20 of the park service’s 392 locations, from Yellowstone to Yosemite."

As I remember the discussions on other sites, the parks that do not allow them are mostly in urban and city settings.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Guns in Federal Parks...

I just took a concealed weapons course not long ago here in Arkansas, and I know Arkansas is always backward from some of the other states, but according to what our instructor said, no gun is allowed at all in any Federal Park, and not in our state parks here either....I don't understand how we as travelers, can even have license to carry weapons, but when we come to a park, traveling, what in the H-ll are we suppose to due with our guns ??? Unload them in a ditch until we come out ???
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red View Post
I just took a concealed weapons course not long ago here in Arkansas, and I know Arkansas is always backward from some of the other states, but according to what our instructor said, no gun is allowed at all in any Federal Park, and not in our state parks here either....I don't understand how we as travelers, can even have license to carry weapons, but when we come to a park, traveling, what in the H-ll are we suppose to due with our guns ??? Unload them in a ditch until we come out ???
Federal Parks or federal land? Whenever I go to The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, which is part of the Superior national FOREST, they ask if I'm carrying and then just go over the regs. Basically, no discharge within 150 feet of a campsite is all. Hunting laws apply obviously. The Forest Service does have a sign prohibiting firearms inside the building though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

The subject of firearms is permitted in context with the site rules. While a discussion of firearms law as it relates the RV lifestyle is appropriate, be advised that topics involving firearms or weapons historically elicit strong, emotional replies which have lead to conflict, inflammatory/derogatory posting, and ultimately...thread closure.

The recent events at Mount Rainer National Park are tragic but this forum is not a bully pulpit to argue the merits of gun control or the right to bear arms. This is an open forum and we try to let things run their course, intervening only when absolutely necessary. Please be mindful of the site rules and post accordingly.

The Site Team

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
@ole-red - yea! What's the difference between a nation park on federal land and an airport? Both are places where guns are not allowed. If you know you are going into a space where guns are not allowed make plans before hand like temporary storage at the local police station or a local gun store before entering. If you still think it is an issue, take it up with your state representative and encourage friends in other states to do the same. It is the system our constitution set up for establishing legal versus illegal behaviors. It is also why minority opinions aren't generally the adopted rule set.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Parks & guns...

I believe that as long as you have a carry permit that having the right to defend yourself in an emergency is no big problem. If you are defending your person or property from an animal or human is not the problem. The problem is those who have weapons (like the assault rifle and uzzie/mac) shown in the aol article that have PTSD or other mental health issues and use those weapons against the unsuspecting public during a mental break with reality. The point is that no LAW or Rule of the state or federal government would have prevented this tragedy from occurring. The right to bear arms does not mean that every citizen has the control or mental facilities to keep or use them properly. Only the individual can be responsible for their actions when allowed to own deadly force weapons. I know that I would feel less than safe if I were not allowed to protect myself when camping or in my own home. We all need to realize that once you decide to carry a weapon that there are moral and ethical restraints that come into play before you use such weapons. Please be a responsible gun owner if you chose to carry a weapon with you. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
I believe that as long as you have a carry permit that having the right to defend yourself in an emergency is no big problem. If you are defending your person or property from an animal or human is not the problem. The problem is those who have weapons (like the assault rifle and uzzie/mac) shown in the aol article that have PTSD or other mental health issues and use those weapons against the unsuspecting public during a mental break with reality. The point is that no LAW or Rule of the state or federal government would have prevented this tragedy from occurring. The right to bear arms does not mean that every citizen has the control or mental facilities to keep or use them properly. Only the individual can be responsible for their actions when allowed to own deadly force weapons. I know that I would feel less than safe if I were not allowed to protect myself when camping or in my own home. We all need to realize that once you decide to carry a weapon that there are moral and ethical restraints that come into play before you use such weapons. Please be a responsible gun owner if you chose to carry a weapon with you. Happy Trails, Ed
Agreed...the problem is, from a few CLEAR simple words in the second amendment has arisen so much legal wrangling and confusion that half the time I have no clue if I'm legal or not.
Is my right to defend my home (not carry) valid if my home is on wheels? Everywhere? Even while camping on Federal Land? Which ones? Parks? Forests? BLM? In the parking lot inside my trailer of a Park?

I don't have a law degree. I just understand a Constitution which was written in plain language so the common man can understand it........not so much anymore.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

I don't have a law degree. I just understand a Constitution which was written in plain language so the common man can understand it........not so much anymore.
I agree but other opinions may vary. The best way to gain a better prospective on this issues is to request a copy of the new law from your local Congressman or Representative. Then check that against state requirements for carrying handguns. As Rosanna Rosannadana said ... "It's always somethin'! If it ain't one the it's another thing!" However to take any weapon on the road with you you must have a carry permit if I understand current law. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So what do you do with your gun when you are traveling cross country and you stay in a park? Are you supposed to throw it out the window when you enter the park or what. I already had one incident with a road rage idiot where if I had not had a gun we might have been dead on the side of the road with all the other road kill. Get you a big can of mace/pepper spray and pray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perry
Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
What I am saying here has nothing with the right to carry or not,I am saying when a person goes off the deep end it makes no difference whether it is legal or not. Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
So what do you do with your gun when you are traveling cross country and you stay in a park? Are you supposed to throw it out the window when you enter the park or what. I already had one incident with a road rage idiot where if I had not had a gun we might have been dead on the side of the road with all the other road kill. Get you a big can of mace/pepper spray and pray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perry
Perry, Defence is where you need it. If you run accoss a park or campground that won't allow weapons then you must secure it in a lock box or safe but I would never surrender it without it being secured by a police dept, sheriff ofc or state patrol holding it during my stay. I would also find an alternate way to defend such as stungun or pepper spray. Ed