Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have a CCW permit. I believe it is recognized in all but Illinois and Hawaii. And of course Canada and Mexico. Mexico would be where it might be needed the most.

Do I carry? No, but I have a permit so I would be legal in transporting; and not in a locked box and unloaded.

As for the pepper/mace, wasp spray is better and "reaches" further and it is a stream and not a mist.
Yeah, ain't Illinois grand? I travel Iowa quite a bit on the job a bit and may just move over your way when I retire. Good people that still get it.

I'd also recommend Bear Repellant. Stream up to 35 feet. You can get it online at most "real" outdoors equipment providers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Not to beat a dead horse here. I wonder if one had the resources to check back on firearms incidents how many of the " Perps" would be found to be law abiding, permit carrying, fine upstanding citizens ?????
Laws will only serve to keep honest people honest. The bad guys don't care.

I'm a former police officer with a concealed carry permit. I choose not to carry because of the logistics of what to do with it. Especially when traveling. I just don't feel anyplace in my trailer or TV is safe storage.

Bye the way, it is my understanding that our RV's are treated just like our homes regarding search / seizure and weapons possession. Border crossings are certainly the exception.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
This is rediculous..........Has anybody ever actually been searched through their vehicle or trailer while pulling in a National Park or other federal property where they are banned?................For me, the answer is NO........NEVER even been asked if I have anything.......Customs yes, of course going both ways across the border......but a park ranger, gate guard, MP/SP/AP, or rentacop....NEVER........do what you need to do and just keep your mouth shut........God bless...........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
guns in parks

Airtandem, I have worked as an auxiary policeman for over 10 years, been a county constable for (2) terms, and my only question is, have you ever seen a man or woman strung out on meth or some of the other drugs out on the market today.....Some of the men I have seen, the pepper spray would just make them laugh.....Now I don't ever propose to shoot anyone, nor would I enjoy so doing, but I wouldn't want to aggrevate them more by spraying them with something that might back fire...Just look over seas at the riots, where honest people can't even defend their homes because of the weapon laws...As was said earlier...Our Constitution gives us that right..And yes the reason I got a concealed permit was to carry mine...Do I ?? You bet I do.
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Not to beat a dead horse here. I wonder if one had the resources to check back on firearms incidents how many of the " Perps" would be found to be law abiding, permit carrying, fine upstanding citizens ?????
Laws will only serve to keep honest people honest. The bad guys don't care.

I'm a former police officer with a concealed carry permit. I choose not to carry because of the logistics of what to do with it. Especially when traveling. I just don't feel anyplace in my trailer or TV is safe storage.

Bye the way, it is my understanding that our RV's are treated just like our homes regarding search / seizure and weapons possession. Border crossings are certainly the exception.
I have heard that too, about the trailer being my home, but I have never seen it in print in a regulation, Fed or States. Can you point me there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Just look over seas at the riots, where honest people can't even defend their homes because of the weapon laws.
Since I sometimes live in the UK, I feel I should point out that not one person I personally know in the UK ever thought having a gun was necessary during the riots.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
This is rediculous..........Has anybody ever actually been searched through their vehicle or trailer while pulling in a National Park or other federal property where they are banned?................For me, the answer is NO........NEVER even been asked if I have anything.......Customs yes, of course going both ways across the border......but a park ranger, gate guard, MP/SP/AP, or rentacop....NEVER........do what you need to do and just keep your mouth shut........God bless...........Dennis
No, but suppose you HAD to use it...a bear comes through your window....then what? Be glad you're alive to do time, or leave it at home and potentially die?
My trailer was searched at the Bluewater bridge border back in 95 or 96. They really didn't move much around. Just looking for food items (fruit I think...can't remember what was on the hit parade at the time), and of course excessive amounts liquor.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Since I sometimes live in the UK, I feel I should point out that not one person I personally know in the UK ever thought having a gun was necessary during the riots.
Yes, but I do recall a report a few years ago about an old Brit farmer who still had a shotgun (illegally) and shot an armed intruder in his farmhouse. The intruder lived and got 8 years. The farmer got 20 years.

That's just WRONG!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
The intruder lived and got 8 years. The farmer got 20 years
That's certainly not the only place that happens, though, whether carrying a gun is legal or illegal.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
NY will not honor your carry permit. Recent news stories show that you will be arrested in NY with a gun from your home state with a carry permit..

Blogs / Columnists / Voices | Politics Aside: Are NYC

From the above news story link:

"In the first case, a man visiting from California was boarding a plane at LaGuardia and traveling with a legally-licensed gun that was being transported according to federal aviation law. When he declared the gun that was in his checked baggage, he was arrested for illegally carrying a firearm in NYC.

A week later, a woman visiting from Tennessee, with a legal carry permit from her home state, was arrested while visiting the 9/11 memorial. Upon seeing a sign that said “no guns allowed” she approached a police officer to inquire where she could check the .32 caliber pistol she carried in her purse."
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I'd kind of like to know how often these things actually happen. Sometimes I think we're so terrified by what might happen that we forget that they usually don't, whether we're prepared for them or not. Bears coming through windows, rioters breaking into your house, etc.

eta: I hasten to add that I don't want to know that these things DO happen. Just how often they actually do.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I'd kind of like to know how often these things actually happen. Sometimes I think we're so terrified by what might happen that we forget that they usually don't, whether we're prepared for them or not. Bears coming through windows, rioters breaking into your house, etc.

eta: I hasten to add that I don't want to know that these things DO happen. Just how often they actually do.
Um, there's a female forum member who had a bear half way through her AS window. I can't remember how she finally got him to leave...a frying pan or something. Sorry, that's so Jackie Gleason of me.

Somebody know what thread that was?

Although not in my AS, I have had 2 instances where black bear were too close to me and 2 instances where wolf packs were too close to me. I wasn't packing each time, but wished I were. Too scared of the law. But somehow that hunting knife seem woefully inadequate. I also had bear repellant.....again seemd pretty feeble in my hand.

BTW, wolves concern me more than black bears. Something about animals that hunt in packs......

Old 01-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
NY will not honor your carry permit. Recent news stories show that you will be arrested in NY with a gun from your home state with a carry permit..

Blogs / Columnists / Voices | Politics Aside: Are NYC

From the above news story link:

"In the first case, a man visiting from California was boarding a plane at LaGuardia and traveling with a legally-licensed gun that was being transported according to federal aviation law. When he declared the gun that was in his checked baggage, he was arrested for illegally carrying a firearm in NYC.

A week later, a woman visiting from Tennessee, with a legal carry permit from her home state, was arrested while visiting the 9/11 memorial. Upon seeing a sign that said “no guns allowed” she approached a police officer to inquire where she could check the .32 caliber pistol she carried in her purse."
I have life insurance with accidental death and dismemberment. Hope I don't have to use that often either.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
wooops, quoted the wrong post...was supposed to be on Zlee's post #31. Sorry.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post

He's right...we dont get searched when going to a camp ground...and NEVER EVER NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle...if the LEO has probable cause, he wont 'ask'..he'll just do the search..DO NOT voluntarily give up your 4A rights!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have a CCW permit. I believe it is recognized in all but Illinois and Hawaii. And of course Canada and Mexico. Mexico would be where it might be needed the most.
It worries me to hear people say things like this. Firearms laws are a crazy quilt of widely differing state laws. A good source of up to date license reciprocity information is Handgunlaw.us

If you go to this web site and click on the outline of the state of Iowa it will bring up a reciprocity map showing the states where your [Iowa] CCW permit is honored and the ones where it is not. A quick count shows 25 states where it is not. If you carry your gun on the road you best know which states are which, as violation is usually a f-e-l-o-n-y which means you might be doing some time if caught.

Another good thing to have along when traveling is the Traveler’s Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, updated annually by an attorney. Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
The above Traveler’s Guide goes into this in some detail. Be aware that the “my RV is my home and my home is my castle” defense depends on many factors, including whether or not you are connected to utilities in a duly rented site. So, it may be valid when you are camped in a campground but not when stopped at a roadside rest area or Wal-Mart.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I have life insurance with accidental death and dismemberment. Hope I don't have to use that often either.
Thing is, a gun wouldn't have helped you much with a pack of wolves, seriously, and I noticed that she got out of that without a gun. And, um, I've had a lot of training on how to avoid bears, from my backpacking days. I'm not particularly against guns or for them, but I'm thinking that on the evidence so far, they're probably not so vitally necessary to make hysteria necessary if you can't carry one.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Zlee, It's really not about hysteria as is so often stated to try and make the "reasonable" question their reason. It's about preparedness....99 times ya don't need it, but that one time when ya go "crap", it's too late.

Actually guns work pretty well with wolves, if ya read up. Unless they are REALLY hungry, usually a round popped off scatters them at least long enough to prepare a physical defense. And often, when one of theirs goes down, the rest leave. They're not stupid.

Black bears are pretty much scardy cats. Probably don't even need a gun to deal with them, unless you are really stupid in your behavior. There are exceptions when they don't act normally. Better be a good shot or have a BIG handgun.

A griz...I really wouldn't want to try with my .357. Not sure I could do much more than p*** him off unless he stood up and exposed his vitals.

Don't really want to get in an arguement on things I've read up on.....but even those are an author's opinions.

However, if they want to taste my flesh, they're at least gonna have to pay for it!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I'd really rather skip the chance at all. I'd imagine that all of the above would have to be pretty hungry (or trained out of human contact aversion) to make voluntary human contact. The chances of my needing a gun for these situations is pretty low, looking at the anecdotal evidence AND the statistical evidence. Even running into the odd human on drugs is statistically a low occurrence. Given the trickiness of carrying a gun by law, easier to carry the pepper spray, I think.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I'd really rather skip the chance at all. I'd imagine that all of the above would have to be pretty hungry (or trained out of human contact aversion) to make voluntary human contact. The chances of my needing a gun for these situations is pretty low, looking at the anecdotal evidence AND the statistical evidence. Even running into the odd human on drugs is statistically a low occurrence. Given the trickiness of carrying a gun by law, easier to carry the pepper spray, I think.
Everybody really has to decide what they're comfortable with. I carry bear repellant as well. (should work with wolves). Gun would be last resort. I have no desire to kill a marvelous wild creature....but IF and only IF it's him or me.....I choose me.