Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I would like to thank the moderator of this site for not closing this thread. It has been an interesting read. I have wondered about this question since I bought my first RV (airstream) and I value the opinions of the members here. I still have not decided if I will or I won't but I'm closer to feeling good about what decision I make. Thank you all. Steve G

Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think the mods are OK as long as we treat each other with respect and don't make the thread a soapbox for a greater agenda.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
wooops, quoted the wrong post...was supposed to be on Zlee's post #31. Sorry.
Funny, I sat there and re-read my post 3 times to try and understand your reply. I understand now.......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I dunno what it's like in Erie, CO, but the drugged out human is preeeeetty common around Chicago. BUT I AM NOT ARMED in the "Peoples Republic of Chicago" where it is like England and illegal to own or possess a gun of ANY type....even in your home.

The issue with being in the wilderness vs. AS might reverse your own posts. The bears around people are DEFINITELY more unpredictable than the ones which have had little human contact. Many of the stories out of Yellowstone where stupid humans have trained bears to be "assertive" and aggressive by their feeding, etc. Might need to protect yourself in the campground where there are nice smells and food more than in the wilderness. I'd hope the Rangers got that in hand, but.....

My encounter last summer, tracks in the campsite in the morning only, was forewarned. The Ranger, at check in, told us of the bear which was in our route area was well known and only a "nuisance" bear. Who had shown no aggressiveness that summer. Then he followed up with, if you see him would you please stop in and update us on his location and behavior? Not real reassuring that he wasn't unpredictable. I slept right through his visit....but we are very careful to keep a proper and tidy camp too. All food, candy, toothpaste, brushes, medications....everything in airtight "bear barrels". They are pretty much blind but smell at least as well as a dog and some say much better.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #47
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have crossed the Canada / US border many times with and without a trailer. This past summer was the first time anyone ever wanted to check inside. We were crossing from NB Can into Maine. 2 inspectors on the US side looked inside ( I was not with them) and came out with 2 lemons. Apparently citrus is on the most unwanted list of items coming into the US from Canada. The irony of this is that the lemons had come with us from home ( NJ ). Oh well, they were nice about it and I got a chuckle from it.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
The issue with being in the wilderness vs. AS might reverse your own posts. The bears around people are DEFINITELY more unpredictable than the ones which have had little human contact.
Um, yes. That's what I said.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #49
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Guns are nothing but a tool, whether for hunting or defense, you need to learn how to use them and be comfortable with them. They can hurt you. I was shot (not seriously) by an "unloaded" gun by an idiot that shouldn't have one.

With that said, I am not too afraid of animal attacks. Bears visit our house every summer. You just need to be aware. They can and do break into cars and homes around here every year. I usually yell at them and wave them off, yet I do have a loaded 00 shotgun in the house just in case. This one was just 10 feet from the door. However, after being charged by mother black bear and her cub on the trail in the Tetons this summer, I now carry bear spray.

Yeah, I carry when on the road. I go to places where there is no cell service and no police protection for many miles. You are on your own out there. I hope I never need it and it is a last resort, but it is reassuring to know that I at least have that tool with me if I should ever need it.

I was kidnapped and robbed by four thugs when I was seventeen. I was able to handle it and talk my way out of any serious harm, but don't know if I could do that today. As I get older I don't want to rely solely on my ability to bluff someone with bravado.

I have never had a bad camping experience, but there have been times when I was concerned by the looks and actions of some cruising by when in remote places. Boy Scout rule #1....be prepared.

To each their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	148273  

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, but, MOJO....that bear is obviously upper class and so much more refined. Just look at the exquisite jewelry!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Did he ask for a "picanic basket for Boo Boo?"

Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #52
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
That bear is in the "three strikes" criminal program, hence the locator collar.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Yon Ursus has that lean and hungry look. . .

(As well thinking to himself, "I'm gonna get a job where I don't have to wear a tie!")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	148277  
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Guns in Parks

Mojo, I can relate to what you are saying about being prepared....Don't be caught completely off guard... No your limits...Trust your instints. If you watch the news, and the world we live in today, someone who has nothing, has not worked or saved for their golden aging, wants what we have, without the effort put into working for it. That's what some calls spreading the wealth...I call it stealing !!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think that bear posed for the famous Sasquatch photo down by the river....in the mirror of course. Wonder what he did with the Big Foot suit?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That bear is in the "three strikes" criminal program, hence the locator collar.
So there's a dart in the butt in his future?