Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bonker.

Cute. But what happens if the person doesn't go away and come on in? You'd have to get pretty close to them to make it work right?

Camping at Wal-Mart?

Eric

Old 03-10-2003, 09:31 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
This is what I use in my self defense revolver -
Glasser Safety Slugs
These bullets break up when they hit a solid surface thereby reducing the risk damage or injury from stray shots.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
You'd have to get pretty close to them to make it work right?
In a trailer, everything is pretty close.

What we realized is : somebody has to get in the trailer first.
The windows are not that easy. Only one door. They have to figure out how to open it. They won't just barge in unnoticed. They don't know how many we are, where we are, if we are armed, if we have dogs.
We are ready for them, they are not ready for what they will find inside.

We have bought a shot gun years ago, just for the pump-action noise.
It has been in the bedroom closet since that day. Except once: after an encounter with thieves during a show, we thought they had come back the last night and we were under attack. We were pretty sure they were not armed, just 2 "backwoods" drunken ex-cons. No phone. All alone at the end of the season in a big campround in OH. Me in the door of the trailer with the shot gun yelling "I am ready to blow your heads off. No witnesses. Can throw the bodies in the river" !!! , Mike creeping in the dark with his bonker. We scared the *** out of those squirrels throwing nuts on the out-house's tin roof.

On the other hand: we had been more afraid of bears than of people. The few times we camped in a State Park in the Adirondacks of NY, there are plenty of warning about bears getting into campers for food.
The Rangers assured us we were OK in the trailer. Mike spent a restless night picturing a bear standing on the back bumper trying to get in through the bathroom window. We had our bonker under the bed. The shotgun stayed in the closet.

(see picture: Old Forge, NY, July 2002, at the end of a festival, the bears are back. No telephoto.)

Quote:
Camping at Wal-Mart?
We typically leave from a show on Monday afternoon. Get our WalMart atlas. Decide where to spend the night. Do our grocery shopping for the week. If we have time, check what we don't really need but we can buy on clearance. Usually, one more night on the road, to the next WalMart or Sam's Club. Then, stay put to work from between Wednesday to next Monday.
We don't see spending time & money looking for a campground. Most of the times, we land well past 10-11pm. The campground will not offer us anything that we need. We have a Honda 1000i, use it to run coffee maker & microwave. We have a small power pack for the TV & laptop. What else do we need ???
I guess we don't fit the picture of the usual camper, whatever that maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear1.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1704  
Old 03-10-2003, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
dmreilly10000,
Glaser Safety Slugs have been on the market for years and are available in blue tip and grey tip. The lead shot is suspended in liquid teflon with the grey containing around 6 shot and the blue somewhere around 10-12 shot. Early Glaser was inaccurate and did not always perform as intended i.e. penetrated 3/4" plywood and remained intact. These problems have been eliminated according to what I was told a few years ago. Glasers are usually available on a card of 6 for the revolver shooter. They would be an alternative to the MagSafe noted by Maurice or the Quickshock by Triton Ammunition Company. I have seen a few X-Rays of an individual hit in the buttocks with a Glaser and the "shotgun effect" of the pattern is pronounced. I classify it as a round for use against personnel only and for that reason do not use it for carry where cover may need to be penetrated.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 03-10-2003, 08:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Walmart

Chantal & Mike,
Staying free in the Walmart parking lot beats paying for a campground for which you may not utilize their services. It sure helps keep the price of motoring down doesn't it.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-10-2003, 09:09 PM   #20

Man I am new to this and I never realised you guys were so heavily armed - a regular wagon train !!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:11 PM   #21

and by the way who is going to rob a camper - this is all going way over my head
Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
And you ought to see some of the full sets of golf clubs some of the forum members carry. A thumper for every day of the week.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-10-2003, 09:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Gunships?

Perhaps we should paint our rigs "battleship" grey? I picture the USS Jersey with top turrets....... We could replace the fantastic fans with leftover HumVee rifles....that'll scare those bears away!

Me, one dog with very sharp teeth does fine guarding ourselves.
Marc
Old 03-10-2003, 09:45 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Interesting Reading

Wow - that was a lot. Very thorough and informative.
Let me throw in some votes for a shotgun though.

One - YES! Safety FIRST - ALWAYS! Then some more safety.

2nd - I firmly believe a child should go hunting/target shooting and learn the PROPER respect of a firearm. My son's eyes bugged out of his head when he fired his first shotgun (I helped - he's young). He now tells me that the shotgun is not a toy and very serious (he hit the clay pigeon on his first shot). Curiosity gone, respect found. My wife disagreed with all of this until she witnessed the whole thing herself.

3rd - the posts above are great, but if you want something less destructive (NOTE: I fully support the 2nd Amendment - this is only intended as an alternative); NOTHING beats the sound of a pump action shotgun in the quiet of the night. VERY few people who mean harm will stick around once they hear that noise. (If they stay you can always load it from there) [A simple, non leathal, non Airstream destroying method! Can anyone imagine the repair job a discharged 12 gauge would cause inside an RV?]

Besides a shotgun (loaded with shot) can always be fired into the air (away from persons or property - i.e. you chase them away from your trailer/home) as a warning with MUCH less worry than a bullet from a handgun or rifle (which travels much further). Furthermore - a handgun is pretty useless in close in fighting situations (where you didn't have time to load or hesitated to pull the trigger, etc.). The stock of an 870 (relatively inexpensive, rugged choice) can send home quite the message without killing someone.

4th - If you decide to own a firearm (handgun, shotgun, or rifle) learn how to clean it, properly load/unload it, and keep in practice till you fell pretty confident you can hit what you want.

5th - weight and space are always at a premium in an RV, but has anyone ever seen/heard of a custom DIY gun cabinet/shelf/cubby for an RV? Now that's an interesting remodel job. Could also be used for valuables.

Thanks for reading -
An NRA member.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Well, I applaud the #1 and #2. Safety is paramount and once the weapon has discharged, you can't bring the payload back no matter what you do. Kids are our future and we need to pass on a favorite pasttime.

On to #3- What are you going to do if the varmint is a drug crazed individual on PCP who feels no pain and thinks he is invincible? I have had to handle druggies as well as psychotic individuals who have had to be taken down by up to 5 officers. Remember, psychotic individuals are strong and anti-social individuals do not learn from their mistakes. They think what is yours is theirs. I sure wouldn't wave around an unloaded weapon just to have it taken away from me and be beaten to death with it. With proper safety, a show of force can be made and if the perp is bent on hurting you then hurt him first. We are using a weapon as a last resort and while displaying it is a lower level of force, it could provoke a violent response for which we must be ready.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-11-2003, 07:45 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having a gun on board is not for what you can think of happening, it's for what you can't think could happen. If you camp in a suburban setting, then chances are, you might not need one, since cell phones are everywhere and so would the police.

In places that I go, you're 20 miles from the nearest "lean to" town. Even the county cops are very few and far between. Can you say "Deliverence"?

Back to the Wal-Mart thing.....they all allow/welcome campers to stay in their lots overnight?

Eric
Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Back to the Wal-Mart thing.....they all allow/welcome campers to stay in their lots overnight?
We never had any problem at WalMart & Sam's Club. The story goes they welcome campers for several reasons:

_we add several set of eyes for security or just keeping an eye on things on the parking lot a night (we notified a non 24h WM that they had a broken sprinkler gushing water, and a Sam's Club in NH about a "white trash" couple staying at least 2 nights in a car. They looked like druggies or just brain dead, with in state plates. Maybe they had decided to move in for good.)

_we spend money (a lot of rigs like ours don't have many places to stop), a truck stop is not really fun, Malls are OK but only during the day.

_we are usually well behaved and don't extend our stay (saw a guy with a little MH, in rural ME, drying his laundry along his awning !!!)

We had to get a new alternator for the van just south of Cleveland. It would not have been very fun to drag the trailer with us, fearing the engine was going to die, and plenty of traffic. Just left it all day on their lot. Same thing more than once when looking to replace a tire for the trailer.
Very often, when you ask, they say they will keep an eye on your trailer.
The only 2 interdictions we found: downtown Rutland, VT. I don't think they own the parking lot. Very small.
And 4 or 5 years ago in Florida. "No overnight parking" (competition with campgrounds). Store was closed. A hurricane was hovering in the neighberhood. We just spent the night in the safest place on the lot, afr away from trees, no problem.

The story goes that in several localities, campgrounds tried to have the laws about sleeping in the streets enforced. When cops showed up: "sorry, private property", and, they are told (if 24h store): these people are customers. For now they are resting before coming back to shop !!!

Just find a far away spot, make sure you are not in the way. Sometimes we ask, most of the times we don't. (We heard that K-Mart does the same).
Old 03-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is some great info! I never knew that. I just assumed that they would chase anyone doing that out.

I usually stay at rest areas sometimes, but I'll keep my eye out for Wal-Mart!

Thanks again for the tip!

Eric