Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Greetings from Jackson Center

Later today I'm going to go on the factory tour. Does anyone have any questions they want asked or suggestions of things to look for?

enjoy,
leo

Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Jackson Center...

We are going to JC for our first pilgrimage this April. Please let us know what it's like, where you stay & eat etc. How exciting!! Have a safe trip!!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
Later today I'm going to go on the factory tour. Does anyone have any questions they want asked or suggestions of things to look for?

enjoy,
leo
Been there done, done that! Have fun.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
How about a classic motorhome? One that looks like the trailers?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Enjoy your trip. The people are the salt of the earth.

We generally have breakfast at a diner next door (west). They don't accept credit cards so carry cash.

If you are scheduled to have work done in the morning, be sure you are dressed and ready to leave by 7 or so. The guy with the tractor is a notoriously early riser.

Have fun!

Pat
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You can stay at the Airstream campground which is right next to the service center (I think the east side of the building). If you are having service work done, there is n/c, but if not, I think it was about $10/night.

The tour is a really great thing to do and folks are right, the people at Airstream are wonderful people.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Really great little bar/restaurant

Just go west out of Jackson Center on the main road - cross the interstate and at the next intersection there's a little bar/restaurant on the left had side that has very good basic food. Fried fish & chicken are both excellent.

Should be Maple Syrup time in Ohio soon!

Paula Ford
Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
JC Pizza a few doors down is pretty good....granted it's no Chicago Style Pizza, but it'lll do!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
We are going to JC for our first pilgrimage this April. Please let us know what it's like, where you stay & eat etc. How exciting!! Have a safe trip!!
As Silvertwinkie mentioned, there is an Airstream campground onsite. Ohio in Mid-February is a wee bit too cold for my tastes...but April should be fine. If you are having work done that will take more than one day, there is a Hampton Inn relatively nearby that is supposed to be nice (but was booked during my stay). I'm staying in Marysville in an AmeriHost which is OK.

pmclemore's "diner next door" (Hobo's) is indeed where I had breakfast. Good food, cheap prices and very welcome after a 6:00am wakeup to get me to Airstream around 7:00.

Morton's (Nortons?) Bar & Grill which is next door to Hobo's provided lunch - perfectly acceptable hamburgers/fries. Going the other way from the factory there is also a newish restaurant, Cafe Somethingortheother that is a more upscale wrap/salad/quiche sort of place.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Have a great time...it is a great tour...I know you will enjoy it!!

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
How about a classic motorhome? One that looks like the trailers?
They did have a pair of skydecks in for service...which were surprisingly attractive. They have the same sort of thing going for them that the space shuttle does - you know it is big, but as you get closer and closer it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and it is only once you are alongside that you realize it truly is enormous.

They also had a 1963 16' Bambi that they are detailing to put in a museum. Louvered glass windows, zipdee exhaust, amazing curves, and a mirror polish - shockingly beautiful.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Other tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
Have a great time...it is a great tour...I know you will enjoy it!!
It WAS a great tour - the guide was a really good guy and it was facinating to see how they make an Airstream. I heartily recommend the tour to anyone who can make the trip to central Ohio. BTW, the tour is at 2:00pm and lasts about an hour and a half.

Also, three other tidbits...

They started making 'rear entry' Airstreams (the door is toward the rear instead of toward the front) and they are selling like hotcakes. It allows the living room of the larger airstreams to be in the rear where you are more likely to see forest or lake and less likely to see bumpers.

The new european Airstreams are very sweet. Lightweight and with a narrow body, the european trailers look really good - they have a vintage feel. Sadly, there are no plans to sell any of the lightweight/narrowbody designs in the US.

The 20' Safari layout is VERY nice. You get the 'good' bed (placed widthwise under a panoramic window), a dry bath, and an open feeling floorplan.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Well, going back a few years--- to the Airstream Homecoming in 2004, I remember that the restaurant to the immediate west of the Airstream Compound was closed up..... But upon my "re-indoctrination" into Airstreaming, last June, I was pleased to see that the restaurant had reopened again....

Years ago, (circa 1969 to the late 70s) this place used to be called the "Feed Bag"....and i have recollections of eating three meals a day there a few times when Gramps was having warranty work done on his '69 23' Safari. (hmm..) I also remember staying the night inside the trailer right there inside the service dept....that was kinda creepy..... waiting for the service techs to finish their job on the trailer.

You could literally spend a full day touring the entire Airstream facility, the tour of the factory was a small part of what i was involved in... I got as big of a kick out of walking around the lot out back and seeing the different Airstreams and what was being done to them.... There was even ten or more Airstreams in the "Park", next door....

But, one last thing you CAN'T forget---- is to take a short drive east from the plant, and just on the outskirts of town, you will see the brand new headquarters of the WBCCI, on your right.....(across from the soccer field) Make it a point to drop in and say Hi to the ladies... You can see the various different pieces of WBCCI memorabilia there, badge ribbons going all the way back to the 60s or before, and they have a nice assortment of VHS tapes and DVDs there you can view, or borrow.... of past rallies and caravans...

All in all, nice weather or not, there should be way more than enuff to keep you busy and occupied for a FULL day there in JC....

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, MI
WBCCI #22426
(formerly #22425 1969-76)

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Bicycle museum

If you are killing time while there, there is a little bicycle museum just down the street that is very interesting.

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote