Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Grease Gun Carrier

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas on how to carry a grease gun? They leak at the plunger and I don’t want it on the AS, my boat or in the back of the car. I’ve thought about making a PVC pipe carrier but it won’t fit in a 5” pipe. I’ve used plastic bags in the past but they leak sometimes. The carrier needs to be at least 21” long and I’d guess 6” diameter. It has to be able to keep the separating oil from leaking out.

I did find a solution for the home, I keep my grease guns in the garage beer fridge. When they’re cold they don’t leak.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Same problem here.
i just plastic bag it. not ideal, but ...
Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Ag and construction machinery places sell mounting brackets for them. You could mount one on a trailer tongue.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Rubbermaid tub?
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Rubbermaid tub?
I can't find one long enough that isn't almost that wide. It must be at least 21" unless I take it apart, which is what I'm thinking about.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts/ideas on how to carry a grease gun? They leak at the plunger and I don’t want it on the AS, my boat or in the back of the car. I’ve thought about making a PVC pipe carrier but it won’t fit in a 5” pipe. I’ve used plastic bags in the past but they leak sometimes. The carrier needs to be at least 21” long and I’d guess 6” diameter. It has to be able to keep the separating oil from leaking out.
Easy. Just wrap it in butcher paper, then you should be able to carry it in anything. If butcher paper can keep blood from leaking through when it's wrapped around meat, it should keep grease from leaking through when it's wrapped around a grease gun.

But make sure you get "real" butcher paper, not the craft paper sold as butcher paper, which doesn't have a shiny side and isn't waterproof.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I see that one at Tractor Supply, inexpensive at $7. I'd have to fashion something to bolt that to, the trailer steel is pretty thick.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Easy. Just wrap it in butcher paper, then you should be able to carry it in anything. If butcher paper can keep blood from leaking through when it's wrapped around meat, it should keep grease from leaking through when it's wrapped around a grease gun.

But make sure you get "real" butcher paper, not the craft paper sold as butcher paper, which doesn't have a shiny side and isn't waterproof.
Hmm, that's pretty good. I could wrap it up and then slide it into one of those plastic bags the paper boy uses for the Sunday paper. I wonder if my Kroger store would be willing to give me a few feet
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Hmm, that's pretty good. I could wrap it up and then slide it into one of those plastic bags the paper boy uses for the Sunday paper. I wonder if my Kroger store would be willing to give me a few feet
Go ahead and get a whole roll of the stuff. Butcher paper is great to use as throwaway dropcloths, too. My dad swore by the stuff when he ran his lawn mower repair shop.

But if you want a tube that can carry the grease gun (wrapped or not) there's always 6" galvanized stovepipe like they use on fireplaces and cast-iron stoves. You can get end caps to fit the stovepipe as well.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would just get a mini grease gun.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
i use a cheap tool box that not only holds the grease gun, but room for an extra tubes and some rags.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I would just get a mini grease gun.
The wheel bearings on my boat trailer require a lot of pressure to force the grease through the axle into the space between the bearings. It lubes from the inside out using a European needle style grease fitting. The mini grease gun won't work. So I'm stuck with taking the bigger gun.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
i use a cheap tool box that not only holds the grease gun, but room for an extra tubes and some rags.
That might be a winner. I checked HF and found a 22" plastic box that looks like it might work. It got bad reviews for being flimsy, especially the hinges. That might work if I can replace the hinges.

What kind of tool box did you use and is it still available? Will the gun fit without having to disassemble it?

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Go ahead and get a whole roll of the stuff. Butcher paper is great to use as throwaway dropcloths, too. My dad swore by the stuff when he ran his lawn mower repair shop.

But if you want a tube that can carry the grease gun (wrapped or not) there's always 6" galvanized stovepipe like they use on fireplaces and cast-iron stoves. You can get end caps to fit the stovepipe as well.
I like the butcher paper idea, just don't know if I can use a full roll. For working in the garage I keep several large pieces of cardboard. Softer and warmer than the concrete. I found the stovepipe at Home Depot. It's just the right size too; 6" x 22". That might be plan B. I want to check out the HF cheap toolbox first.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i wrap mine in an old towel before putting it in a plastic bag.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I ended up buying a new one to take with me. Unopened. I figure I'll get to the "mess part" when it's time to use it. Which should be awhile.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Grease Gun Carrier

A one handed / pistol grip full size grease gun is the only one to have. LINCOLN brand. Hose swivels at each end. Filled with Schaeffers 221.

I use a milk crate lined with two lawn and leaf drum liners. Keep the gun, the oil can, and a small metal drain pan in it. A few red rags in a bag (that get thrown away after use) and that cool REDLINE axle housing fill funnel. A pair of loose cowhide/fabric gloves in another ZipLoc. Toss the crate back there somewhere on top of everything under the eight foot topper.

If towing I keep it near the tailgate to nail the Hensley every day. The oil can has synthetic ATF and a dash of acetone to use for GP lube and penetrant on exterior items.

In other words, all the oily and greasy things in one place. Joes Waterless hand cleaner and some Scott towels plus a tiny container of Dr Bronners to complete.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I ended up buying a new one to take with me. Unopened. I figure I'll get to the "mess part" when it's time to use it. Which should be awhile.
I've had even unopened tubes leak. One end is pull tab but the other just has that plastic cap on it. If you take one, keep the pull tab down and plastic cap up, or keep it in the freezer.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A one handed / pistol grip full size grease gun is the only one to have. LINCOLN brand. Hose swivels at each end. Filled with Schaeffers 221.

I use a milk crate lined with two lawn and leaf drum liners. Keep the gun, the oil can, and a small metal drain pan in it.
[snip]
If towing I keep it near the tailgate to nail the Hensley every day. The oil can has synthetic ATF and a dash of acetone to use for GP lube and penetrant on exterior items.
Those pistol type guns won't work for the boat trailer, not enough pressure for my axle. It will just spew all over the outside. I need a full sized gun and even that needs a lot of leverage. If I had a pickup, that's be great. Good old plastic bags and just leave it in the bed. Now I have an SUV so that's got to have a different solution.

If the cheap plastic tool box doesn't work out I'm going to have to make something. When it's finished, someone will come up with a great solution.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8