Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
Grass Protection mesh

Right now I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I want to park my trailer at home but don't want to pave a section of grass to accomplish this.

So I think I may have found a solution. This seems to be popular in England. It's a plastic mesh designed to install on top of your grass area, the grass then grows through it so you don't see the mesh. It protects your grass from being ruined by vehicles moving over it.

Not sure if I can post website info here but if you do a search online for grass protection mesh, there is a company in Ohio that sell it for $1/sq ft in 6.5x60' rolls.

Anyway, if anyone has seen this before or have some comments about it I'd sure appreciate any input before I decide to go this route.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for posting, I have the same issue of having to drive over my back lawn to reach the parking area. I have considered the concrete blocks designed for parking areas around trees, but this product looks less visually obnoxious.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
Sure does, been calling around here (SW Ontario CANADA) no luck. Spoke to the fella there and he says it's new to them too. Made by a company called Texan. He says he's sold a few sets, one big job and half dozen RV sized jobs. Only complaint was from the big job. I guess it was hard to go down and the spikes wouldn't go it, turns out it was in NJ and it was cold.

Cinci OH is a good days drive there and back so looks like it might be worthwhile.

At a $1/sqft it's a lot cheaper and better looking that concrete or asphalt. Gonna do sure more research, lot's of time until spring to do that...hehe
Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario

This is from their literature:

Grass Protection Mesh is a heavy-duty extruded polymer grid designed to protect and reinforce grassed areas subject to
vehicle traffic. They work with an imposed loading of up to 8 tons per axle (subject to ground conditions). Once
established, Grass Protection Mesh will protect the grass roots from damage and help prevent rutting.
Installation is quick and easy. Simply roll out the mesh over the area to be protected and pin it down with Fixing Pins.

For best results, Grass Protection Mesh should be installed in the spring so the grass will grow quickly through the grid
and form a root mass around the mesh filaments. The area will soon resume its natural appearance and provide a stable
surface for heavy weight vehicles.

Applications:
 Emergency Access Roads  Grassed Access Routes  Overspill Car Parking  Grass Runways  Foot Paths 
Grassed Verges in Urban and Parkland Areas  Lawns Used for Parking Cars, Boats, Trailers etc.  R.V. Parks  Farm
Gateways and Other Equestrian Uses
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Roll Size Mesh Size Color Material Weight
6.7 x 60 5/8 x 5/8 Green / HDPE 0.41 lbs/sf

Installation Instructions:
Cut the grass short and ensure the area is as level as possible and clear of any protruding stones or other debris. Fill in
any hollows with a mixture of fine topsoil and sharp sand.
Starting from the top of the roll, unroll the mesh over the area to be protected. Secure the initial roll end with Tenax
Fixing Pins. Place additional pins every yard on each side and then secure the opposite end of the roll. If the area to be
protected is wider than 6.7 feet, butt the edges of the rolls together and secure by placing a Fixing Pin across each edge.
Finally, pin down any area of the mesh that is not in contact with the grass.
If the mesh is laid over bare earth, apply a suitable grass seed and fertilizer and dress at approximately 6 lbs / 100 sf (or
as specified by the specific seed and use). Then cover the area with a layer of topsoil and sand. This will encourage
early root growth around the mesh filaments and increase stability.
Vehicles and pedestrians should be kept off the area until the grass has grown at least 1 inch and has been mowed twice
with the blade height set high. The area can then be rolled if required.
Notes:
If the Grass Protection Mesh is being laid over clay soil, a suitable drainage system should be installed to allow for
removal of surface water. If the ground is particularly soft, please seek the advice of a professional. Installation of Grass
Protection Mesh does not solve drainage problems.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We use something like this at our domed stadium facility. We have a park like area next to us and dependent upon the event we sometimes have satellite TV trucks and other vehicles parked on the grass area. The biggest benefit is it keeps the ground from developing ruts when we have rain. Our material is some type of hooped plastic. Little plastic circles that seem to be tied together. The mesh is actually into the ground and does not sit above it. I'm not sure if it sinks into the ground over time or whether it was pounded in at ground level.

My only concern about this type of solution is the fact that the grass will eventually die below it if it doesn't get light and water.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Being a mesh, it should get enough of both.

I'm more concerned about it deforming as it gets run over, and no longer laying flat. I suppose as the grass grows into the mesh to create a mat, it may be fine.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
The grass would die if the rv/vehicle were parked on it for extended periods. How long, I couldn't really say because the RedSHEDs are not grass connoisseurs. Two weeks may even be too long. Don't know. Someone else may have a clue.

I think another issue may be when to mow it. Would it be just before you leave for a camping trip? Right after you get back? Would you hook up and move the trailer just so you can mow it's parking spot? We usually are dying to pull out and would not be interested in moving the trailer only a number of feet then stopping to mow the lawn before a trip. When we've just returned, usually the only thing on our minds is a quick nap. If you camp every weekend and have a mowing service come on Saturdays, maybe it would work.

IMHO it may be well suited for driving ON to get to your storage spot rather than a storage spot itself.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
An excellent point.

Because of my City's bylaws I'm really restricted about where I can park the trailer. Down the side of the house I have 13' to the property line and parallel to my driveway and garage, the trailer would be out of site. But supposedly I can't park it there. Instead I'm supposed to park it in my back yard which is fine but EVERYONE will see it coming into the subdivision. Seems silly to me but then I guess everyone can admire it.

I'm still thinking I'll put it down the side, Mrs_RedShed made a good point.My concern was the permanent widening of the driveway and having to match the red concrete, with this stuff I can leave the grass there and just lay gravel or pour a concrete pad 10x30 out of sight beside the house. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
The grass would die if the rv/vehicle were parked on it for extended periods. How long, I couldn't really say because the RedSHEDs are not grass connoisseurs. Two weeks may even be too long. Don't know. Someone else may have a clue.

I think another issue may be when to mow it. Would it be just before you leave for a camping trip? Right after you get back? Would you hook up and move the trailer just so you can mow it's parking spot? We usually are dying to pull out and would not be interested in moving the trailer only a number of feet then stopping to mow the lawn before a trip. When we've just returned, usually the only thing on our minds is a quick nap. If you camp every weekend and have a mowing service come on Saturdays, maybe it would work.

IMHO it may be well suited for driving ON to get to your storage spot rather than a storage spot itself.