Old 07-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Grand Canyon Rafting recommendations

Hello all -

I am interested in doing a Grand Canyon Rafting trip in 07 for a 45th birthday present - mine! Has anyone done this trip (Upper, lower, both - Why 1 not the other?). I am looking for recommended outfitters - we would like to go as a family - 9y/o and up - 4 total.

Looking for the trip particulars - warts and all!!!!! Upper? Lower? Who to use as an outfitter? Places to stay? Car runners? Mule 'packing' in or out?

Price is secondary to an exemplary trip. The AS is of course a mandatory part of the experience.

Time of year IS important as we have commitments back east in late June of 07. Is this a problem??

Please all offer all input as this is likely a once in a lifetime trip and certainly a big expense - would like to derive every dollars worth of value out of the experience.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!!

Axel

Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
The Timlicks

1963 16' Bambi
2006 19' Safari
Dundee , Oregon
grand canyon rafting

Haven't done it--but a friend has. It was outstanding! However, she had a three year wait. If this is something you want to do, get on it now!

WBCCI #6365
1963 Bambi
Janis Timlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Grand Canyon-Colorado River Trip

I have made the trip twice, the last time in '92.
Our outfitter was Diamond River Adventures in Page. We only did the lower canyon both times because of time constraints. Most of the larger, more challenging rapids are on the lower half of the river anyway.
We left the rv at Trailer Village on the south rim, and hiked down the canyon to board the rafts at Phantom Ranch. It is about a 5 hour hike down to the river.
When you leave the river, there are a couple of ways to get back to the south rim.
Check the web for River Travel Center. They were located in CA and could find a vacancy with an outfitter when you want to go.
The raft trip is an experience that you will remember for the rest of your life.
Cliff in Indiana
WBCCI #6960
Old 07-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

Quote:
I am interested in doing a Grand Canyon Rafting trip in 07 for a 45th birthday present - mine! Has anyone done this trip (Upper, lower, both - Why 1 not the other?). I am looking for recommended outfitters - we would like to go as a family - 9y/o and up - 4 total.
Hey Axel,

What a fine birthday present! You sure know how to give yourself a great gift! Several years back I was what they call a "Study Leader" for one of the "Photographic Special Interest" raft trips for Grand Canyon Expeditions.

(http://www.gcex.com)

This was eight days of total immersion into the finest gully I've ever been in! And, I was paid to go. Grand Canyon Expeditions (see the mythical character fashioned after the founder of GCE: Seldom-Seen Smith in THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG by Ed Abbey) is an outfitter of the highest quality. Very well organized licensed concessionaire of the NPS providing a never-to-forget experience of a lifetime. Check out their web site, then give them a call and discuss their dory trips, raft trips and other offerings. They have study leaders for the special interests of history, geology, archaeolog and ecology as well as photography. You and your family will not be the same afterwards!

DJ
Old 07-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
If I were doing it I would do the Whole Thing , a float trip, as in non motorized and I would do it with "OARS".----pieman
Old 07-23-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
I KNOW there are more inputs that have yet to be seen!

Common' Ya'll!

I know there is where more input that is pending to rush forth, like the water behind the Glen Canyon Dam, there is the Rainbow Bridge, Lake Powell, and so MUCH MORE that someone must have experienced and would love to impart info about.....

Or??

I am looking, specifically, for route into and out of GC NR from ABQ - with stops along the way? I am also looking for the "STAY AWAY FROM" info...!!!! There are seemingly only a few choices for 34ft'er camping... but there is so MUCH to see there....

A little help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Have had one or 2 PM's, Thanks! PM's are fine also!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-24-2006, 03:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Lake Powell!!!!!!!

Is there NO ONE that can offer ideas and thoughts about this impending trip I am to embark on...?

I want the "great", "good", "Bad" and "disgusting" recommendations!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will assist me in a most serious fashion when it comes to the "honest" and trustworthy poeple to spend $'s with...... Spending $'s can be some of the most rewarding - or some of the most horriffic if you like. I know which way I want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE, I AM LOOKING FOR HONEST INPUT, AND PERSONAL RECOMMENDATIONS! That is all. I figure that there is no better pool to draw from , than the AS Forums group! The Best of the Best!

Axel Freese
Silvertoy
Old 07-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We did the trip about 10 years ago with Arizona River Runners. http://www.arizonariverrunners.com/rates-dates/ We did the six day trip which started at Lee's Ferry and went 186 miles into the canyon. It was the trip of a lifetime. If you are going in June, it will be hot! The tempertures at the river are basicly the same as Phoenix. We went in mid September and it was warm. The river is always cold (low 50's). The choise of row versus motor basicly depends on how much you want to see and how much time you have. The one week trip we took would have taken several weeks with oars. I would like to do it again with oars when I retire. The trip consisted of many day trips to different sights along the river. The rapids are great and you will get soaked! We had great meals and I must have gained several pounds because of it. The last night on the river was our aniversary and the surprised us with a dutch oven cake and lots of bubblie! The week went way to fast, we made several new friends and would do it again in a heart beat. The trip ended with a helicopter ride out of the canyon and a fixed wing flight over the canyon back to our starting point. Many of the other people started with a flight from Las Vegas to the Ferry and they were flown back to Vegas at the end.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
The Timlicks

1963 16' Bambi
2006 19' Safari
Dundee , Oregon
I checked with my friend that had to wait three years. The wait was because her group did it on their own, not through a rafting company. They had to wait for a permit. Said you wouldn't encounter that if you hire someone official..SORRY, no recommendations as to companies to book through.
WBCCI #6365
1963 Bambi
Janis Timlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Axle---I think you'll find ANY of the concessionares that the Park approves will be great. While I haven't done a river trip throught the canyon myself, we do visit the park multiple time each year and know lots of folks there that have. Facts are the park is very strict as for as licensing and safty of those who are permitted to have commercial trips. I don't think you would be dissapointed with any of them. The thing only you can decide is wheither you want to do a motorized trip or float trip. The motorized take about 6-7 days to go the full length of the canyon, Lee's Ferry to Lake Mead. The float trip are in smaller rafts and take around 13-14 days for the same trip. Personally if time were not a constraint I would do a float trip as they are less hurried. The trips can be shortened by taking a half canyon trip, upper or lower. This requires a hike or mule ride in or out of the canyon at Phanton Ranch. Personally I wouldn't do that unless time or $$$$ was a problem.-------------------Pieman
Old 07-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Hey Silvertoy,
We did the trip starting at The Glen Canyon dam and got out ay Lee's Ferry. We went the first week of June and it was pretty hot, but we just dipped a towel in the water and out it around our shoulders to keep cool. This trip doesn't have any wild rapids, but it was great for our kids. The next time we want to do rapids, since our son is older now. That trip was about $450 for four people. It was a beautiful float and a lot of fun. I can't remember who we used right off the top, but a lot od companies do that trip. On this trip you go to the dam and they take you down to the river. No hiking or mule rides.
Dawn
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
L. Powell, Dam tour and etc... this trip!

Thanks to all that have offered thier thoughts!

Nice to hear that is seems pretty foolproof to do this trip right. There are certainly enough outfitters to choose from!

Since we will have a 9 y/o with us, and a semi 'gimp' (me) in the group, we'll likely do the upper river trip. Whoever said the trip was $450 for a group hasn't done the trip ANYTIME recent! More like $800+ each. Se la vie. Inflation?? Reflects current gas prices? Whatever.

This is 'a once in a lifetime' trip so hang the $'s....! We are going to reconoiter this trip - half the family - for the trip next year when the whole group goes.

Is there a killer campground anyone can recommend in the Bryce/ Zion area for a likely 4 or 5 day stay???

Any other 'little visited' places that really need to be seen in the B/Z/ Hoover Dam area???

These B/Z/HD and Vegas will all fall into the "Birthday Mega Trip" in next year.... Where is camping in the Vegas/ HD area likely the best??? Looking ahead!

Thanks again to all!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Axel -

Page and I did the lower with the Hualapi. It was a pretty much all day trip - but we left from Peach Springs and then floated down to the quiet water. Then we boarded a helicopter for the ride back to the top. That was really cool. But then we had an hour's bus ride back to Peach Springs.

The price was right - less than $300 per if I recall correctly. The hospitality was superb - great food and good enough accoms. We did this in July three years ago - although the air was hot, the water was cold as **, so you could find your comfort level someplace.

The rapids were plenty good for that kind of trip. I'd go again.

Pat
Old 07-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Grand Canyon Rafting recommendations
Hello all -

I am interested in doing a Grand Canyon Rafting trip

The trip from the Glen canyon dam to Lee's Ferry while interesting could hardy be considered a Grand Canyon rafting trip. Grand Canyon National Park begins at Lee's Ferry. Thus the trip "early" took actually ended before entering the grand canyon. I think you will find a "real" Grand Canyon rafing trip that goes through the canyon will cost you $2500 and up per person. While this may sound expensive concider this ,the price is for food, transportation, lodging and entertainment for 7-13 days.---Pieman