Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Govt Actions That Would Help

Pondering actions of the govenrment that would help....

1) Executive Order Emergency Declaration suspending the enforcement of Clean Air Standards under Dept of Energy and EPA not just until 09/15/2005, but until 12/31/2006. Let's get the country's fuel supplies moving and the fear mongering speculators away from controlling the prices.

2) Emergency Suspension not only of DOT regulations on truckers transporting relief goods and fuel, but also suspension of Federal Fuel Taxes until 12/31/2006.

3) Emergency Suspension of EPA and Dept of Energy regulations and red tape on permits for construction of refineries for the first 12-20 new refineries permitted that can be completed and online in the next 12 months.

4) Federal Tax Credits and property tax abatements to companies investing is additional refining capacty and drilling for production capacity, and to domestic steel companies to increase production of steel for pipeline and drilling equipment.

5) Suspension of OSHA and EPA guidelines on the contractors constructing the refineries and pipelines for crude production and delivery of refined products. Put the entreprenuers to work with incentives for rapid completion and being online with refined product.

6) Suspension of EPA restrictions on exploration and development of domestic oil production....open ANWR and other known drilling areas and let's get to punching some holes.

7) Tax credits on research and development of wind, solar, water, and other alternative energy sources to encourage alternative energy sources development to reduce dependence on foreign oil.

8) Temporary reinstitution of the National Speed Limit (at 60 mph this time) until 12/31/2006 to promote conservation and lower demand on consumption.

9) Negotiation with Allied Nations that produce crude for contract pricing for the USA in light of the aid they receive from the USA on matters such as National Defense and the development of their economic resources.

There are bound to be many other ideas.......
If you post, perhaps someone in the Administration will take note of your ideas?

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 09-01-2005, 02:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Pondering actions of the govenrment that would help....

1) Executive Order Emergency Declaration suspending the enforcement of Clean Air Standards under Dept of Energy and EPA not just until 09/15/2005, but until 12/31/2006. Let's get the country's fuel supplies moving and the fear mongering speculators away from controlling the prices.
I agree with that.

Quote:
2) Emergency Suspension not only of DOT regulations on truckers transporting relief goods and fuel, but also suspension of Federal Fuel Taxes until 12/31/2006.
As a truckdriver myself I do not agree with suspending the DOT regs at all. It would compromise the safety of others on the highways. I do agree with the federal fuel tax suspension.

Quote:
3) Emergency Suspension of EPA and Dept of Energy regulations and red tape on permits for construction of refineries for the first 12-20 new refineries permitted that can be completed and online in the next 12 months.
I agree.

Quote:
4) Federal Tax Credits and property tax abatements to companies investing is additional refining capacty and drilling for production capacity, and to domestic steel companies to increase production of steel for pipeline and drilling equipment.
I agree with this too.

Quote:
5) Suspension of OSHA and EPA guidelines on the contractors constructing the refineries and pipelines for crude production and delivery of refined products. Put the entreprenuers to work with incentives for rapid completion and being online with refined product.
I do not agree with this. I believe that you would expose workers to unsafe working conditions.

Quote:
6) Suspension of EPA restrictions on exploration and development of domestic oil production....open ANWR and other known drilling areas and let's get to punching some holes.
Of course I don't want them drilling in ANWAR but it is already a done deal, IMOP, they'll do it anyway. might as well get it over with.

Quote:
7) Tax credits on research and development of wind, solar, water, and other alternative energy sources to encourage alternative energy sources development to reduce dependence on foreign oil.
All for this !

Quote:
8) Temporary reinstitution of the National Speed Limit (at 60 mph this time) until 12/31/2006 to promote conservation and lower demand on consumption.
hmm, not so sure that it would have that much affect since people drive as fast as they want nowadays.

Quote:
9) Negotiation with Allied Nations that produce crude for contract pricing for the USA in light of the aid they receive from the USA on matters such as National Defense and the development of their economic resources.
Great idea in theory. Not so sure that in reality it is even possible to accomplish.

Quote:
There are bound to be many other ideas.......
If you post, perhaps someone in the Administration will take note of your ideas?

Life is a journey, not a destination
Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
David, your post was right on target. We have legislated and regulated ourselves to the point we have stagnated growth where it is needed. It is also time to re-evaluate and rewrite some of these stupid laws.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:

Chris, I believe that the country requires some modern "miracles" of engineering and ingenuity.
For instance, Hoover Dam would have never been built in the enviroment of EPA and OSHA, much less built in about half the time allotted.
Notice, that I did not say that the rights of employees to hold the employer responsible for injuries or negligence on the worksite should be waived. I only suggested that EPA and OSHA be kept away from their governmental presence and regulatory threats on site that slow down progress with bureaucratic red tape and compliance. No employer wants to be "unsafe" or negligent.
It is my understanding that after one of the quakes in California that resulted collapse of vital freeway infrastructure, that government contracted with the consensus choice to rebuild the collapsed area in 100 days or less. The contractor was awarded bonuses for each day under the 100 days that he brought the project in, and part of the contractor's demands to the President Clinton's personal representative, Al Gore, was that EPA and OSHA needed to stay away if they ever wanted the project in on time.
As a result, the project was brought in in 70 days and with less than the expected employee injuries from such a project.
I believe that what we need done, can be done IF we get the regulators out of the way long enough.
---just my 2 cents---

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 09-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
looters and hostile gangs

Someone explain to me why in the midst of what is turning
out to be one of the largest natural disasters in American
History...possibly exceeding 09/11...
Large scale looting, armed gangs roaming the streets, shots
fired at rescue workers, shots fired at rescue helicopters, etc., etc.
What is wrong with these idiots? Taking advantage of a disaster
that has ruined the lives of hundreds of thousands of people?

I say issue a standing order immediately that states in no
uncertain terms anyone caught looting or brandishing a firearm
be shot on site. No questions, no warnings, no announcements.
We'd all be better off without this scum.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl

I believe it's only human nature for people to act like an animals during a life threatening situation. Animals who wreak havoc are exterminated. I agree...call the Orkin man.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 09-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:

The pillaging and looting is nuts. Executive order numero uno should have been to declare marshal law, bring in the Marines and start getting things under control. With the scale of this disaster the US Military is the only group capable of bringing order.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Old 09-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Quote:

Does this include the looters that across the country stealing from anyone that uses gasoline?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 09-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
I believe it's only human nature for people to act like an animals during a life threatening situation. Animals who wreak havoc are exterminated. I agree...call the Orkin man.
Im human and I wouldnt do it.
You're right these are animals though.
Reminds me of a heated debate that I had with a professor
that lasted my entire 6 year college career (he was and still is a friend).

My Professor friend argues vehemently that humans are animals like every other animal on earth and that we just cant help ourselves from our urges and instincts...that we're slaves to them.

I know better. The thing that distinguishes you from a dog or rabbit is your ability to make decisions and analyze. Sex is an elementary example. Dogs and rabbits cant help themselves...no further explanation necessary. But we have the ability to decide not to because we're married, or the other person is married, etc.

Simply...humans make choices.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
Does this include the looters that across the country stealing from anyone that uses gasoline?

Are there looters across the country?
Or are you talking about price gouging?
There is a difference.
The government deals with gouging fairly swiftly and harshly.

No one is forcing you to buy the gasoline from the station that's charging $6 gal.
Thats a bit different than riotous groups of armed thugs threatening
the lives of rescue workers and residents who have been stranded and homeless
without food or water for almost a week. Carjacking and holding bus drivers at gun point trying to get groups of people to safety.
C'mon..
Old 09-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe

Imagine yourself as a resident of New Oleans...your house has been destroyed
along with everything you own. You have been stuck in the Superdome for almost a week with 25,000 other people in the same predicament (and thats a BEST case scenario). No plumbing, no water, no food, etc. (25,000 people using the bathroom for a week with no plumbing?).
Finally help shows up to get you out of there via helicopter or bus.
The thugs start firing on the helicopters so they turn and leave.
You get on the bus crammed with people...people riding on top....as it rolls down the road toward safety a group of armed bandits stops it and forces everyone out and they steal the bus...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The Wisconsin National Gaurd is mobilzing to travel the thousand miles to help in Lousiania. they will get there too late to save lives being lost now. Where is the Lousiania National Gaurd? Iraq. Where do we have our military might deployed while an entire major city is under martial law, being evacuated, and was destroyed? Iraq. We are so vulnerable. Thank goodness it was not terrorist but it could have been. We are all so concerned about the oil prices, I am concerned about our saftey. This is a wake up call to just how tenous our situation is here in our country. One final thought is that our president is so far removed from reality that he shut down Washington for a months vacation. Even with his token response of cutting it short by two days the time it took for the bueaucracy to gear back up was too long to give immediate and adequate help.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It is sad to see the criminals trying to take over, while the rest of us sit here wishing there was some way we could help.

I think your college professor was right, we are animals just like every other animal on earth. Animals make decisions as well, they weigh out consequences and rewards, just like we do. Dogs don't breed indiscriminately, for example in a pack the alpha can prevent the lower ranking animals from breeding. And giving in to the worst of our impulses, humans will run in packs and terrorize each other, just like animals. I've known that for years. Just watch a group of children taunting one who doesn't fit in. We have to be taught to be compassionate humans and fit in with society, and unfortunately people don't all learn it (criminals), and the lessons may be forgotten when things get really bad (looters).

But meanwhile there are incredible stories of heroism coming out of there. Some people are standing up and being the best they can be, and doing more than they thought they could. I just wish there were more ways we could pitch in and help.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
The Wisconsin National Gaurd is mobilzing to travel the thousand miles to help in Lousiania. they will get there too late to save lives being lost now. Where is the Lousiania National Gaurd? Iraq. Where do we have our military might deployed while an entire major city is under martial law, being evacuated, and was destroyed? Iraq. We are so vulnerable. Thank goodness it was not terrorist but it could have been. We are all so concerned about the oil prices, I am concerned about our saftey. This is a wake up call to just how tenous our situation is here in our country. One final thought is that our president is so far removed from reality that he shut down Washington for a months vacation. Even with his token response of cutting it short by two days the time it took for the bueaucracy to gear back up was too long to give immediate and adequate help.
I don't think he's used Air Force One yet to fly cross country to get a $1500 hair cut though.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Closed Thread

« '03 Safari | Top | Katrina »