Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #29
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
I suppose this wouldn't be legally possible at all, and perhaps it's naive -- but if I'm Congress, I would put all the pressure I could muster on Walmart, CostCo, Sam's Club, and Target - financial empires with all the necessary materials at their disposal - billions of dollars worth of goods. I would request them to redirect all truck routes in that area to the gulf, carrying their entire supply of fresh water and non-perishable foodstuffs. These companies have part of the solution at their disposal, and the rest of us can easily find other means to get these items (convenient stores, grocery stores, etc.)
FWIW: WalMart, specifically, is already sending in water, food, batteries and supplies, coordinating donation efforts through their stores and website as well as "donating" their store parking lots in the effected areas as staging locations for relief efforts.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
I wish I had the website for you to look at w/the relief info I was looking at yesterday but nearly all of the companies you mention are doing quite a bit, the list of companies who have donated a min. of $1,000,000 is very long. And they are mobilizing . . . And best of all, it's w/o the government or some congresswoman requesting/requiring them to.
Fantastic!! No need on the link, I believe ya. I hadn't heard about it, but I would hope they'd come through - with both donations and material support, too. They've got the goods - lets put 'em to use if they're willing to help!

Thanks for the info - I can now refrain from imagining myself as the entire congressional body. It's one bad case of multiple personality disorder, and not too many great personalities.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Well, I was responding to the specific statement by Chikagurl who propsed,

"a standing order immediately that states in no
uncertain terms anyone caught looting or brandishing a firearm
be shot on site. No questions, no warnings, no announcements.
We'd all be better off without this scum."

If Chika meant killing everybody looting for items other than food, or killing everyone using a firearm to intimidate rather than for protection... that's one thing.

But that's exactly my point. That kind of broad brushstroke of a law (without questions, warnings, or announcements) would be disasterous. I'm simply reminding us that much of this "scum" may in fact be innocent people in a genuinely desparate situation.
Whats dangerous are folks who "read into" something what simply isnt there.
Are you listening? They're having a BIG PROBLEM with lawlessness right now. Bottom line is ITS COSTING PEOPLES THEIR LIVES because help cant get to them.
Youd analyze the situation to the point when most of the survivors were desperate or dead.
They need help NOW.
Stop justifying everything...watch the people stealing TVs, cars, etc...they arent poor little "innocent people".
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Military/National Guard should be given authority to fire back upon those firing at rescue personel and equipment. Marshal Law should be declared, then this wouldn't be a problem. In emergency situations like this time is critical, anyone interfering with rescue efforts needs to be eliminated.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

$1500 haircut? Huh? Is this the story about Clinton, retracted by the LA Times way back when it originally appeared (the purported sum was $200)?

This list of ideas seems to me a solution akin to speeding up an out-of-control train. Well... I do like #7.

There are more super-rich every year, more on the poverty list as well, our capitalism is the out-of-control train... Removing epa standards and osha will certainly add more to that rich list (five of the top ten are Waltons), but I don't count on gas prices falling or aid getting to Mississippi and New Orleans faster.

I haven't been able to find anything about the shooting except something in the NYTimes about a single incident and what "sounded like a shot"... Where is the news coming from? Can someone point me towards some information?

What a terrible and sad mess, the scale is hard to understand. The idea that people would be shooting at rescue workers doesn't make sense... I can't understand it anyway.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Chikagurl,

I agree with much of what you say but, somewhere the discussion must get around to the "soul of man" and the new testament as the foundation of much of our law and our thinking of what constitutes good, evil, etc. In the absence of the proper upbringing and socialization by the family and society, man is an animal and will act as an animal. Maybe more intelligent but, never the less an animal.

Frankly, none of the actions in N Orlean surprises me.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #35
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Since New Orleans is basically wiped out-

Since the city of New Orleans is pretty much destroyed, maybe this would be a good time for the Corps of Engineers to bring in a few thousand truckloads of fill, and raise the lowest parts of the city to a higher level. It may not be a perfect solution, but may help reduce flooding the next time this happens. And it will happen.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:31 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I was very proud to read that the Vancouver Urban Search and Rescue team is in Louisiana trying to help but saddened to read that their efforts are being hampered by the lawlessness.
http://www.vancouver.ca/usar/

I am also saddened to see that the Canadian milatary Disaster Response team (DART)has not been asked to move yet.They have their Hercules aircraft loaded and ready to go but are still waiting.They just came back from Sri Lanka and have equipment to purify water and doctors and hospital equipment.WHY?
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Newsroo...s_e.asp?id=301
Old 09-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Lightbulb Just my two cents...........

I, like many of you, have been glued to the TV to get the latest reports on the devastation. Many of you have valid points, especially regarding the shoot or be shot situation. None of this really surprised me. I knew there would be lawlessness. The same people that caused the problems when the land was dry, now have an excuse to create havoc when the city is literally at it's darkest hour. I know my husband would protect our family from hunger and thirst anyway he could, but he would not steal CDs, jewelry and other "valuable" stuff in the process.

My brother said something interesting to me tonight. During his fireman training, he said that they are trained to rescue those that they can, and if a section of a building is engulfed and is beyond hope and there five people still trapped, but another section is in danger of burning with fifty people in it, you are to put all your energy in saving the 50. If we have to shoot 50 criminals to save 20,000 people who are in need, so be it.

And as for the President being on vacation.... he takes his vacation in August because the Congress is in recess for 45 days. Yep, he wasn't the only one gone. They're coming back three days early to "deal with the crisis".

As for energy development. Alaska's a BIG place. I've flown over just a part of it. IT'S BIG. If we had developed ANWAR in 1995, when it was first proposed, it would be up and running now.

And as for alternative energy, the windtowers in Iowa, Minnesota and SW Kansas are beautiful. But Ted Kennedy didn't want any of them to mess up his view off the coast of Massachusetts. He, like so many others, talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

Nuff said..

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
Old 09-01-2005, 10:46 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
Chikagurl,

I agree with much of what you say but, somewhere the discussion must get around to the "soul of man" and the new testament as the foundation of much of our law and our thinking of what constitutes good, evil, etc. In the absence of the proper upbringing and socialization by the family and society, man is an animal and will act as an animal. Maybe more intelligent but, never the less an animal.

Frankly, none of the actions in N Orlean surprises me.
home training or not we are not apes or dogs.
people reason...animals dont...
I would go to blows with anyone who came along and kicked my dog
for no reason...Id defend him like the member of my family that he is.
But he's a dog..he knows I love him and feed him...but thats it.

And I too am not surprised by whats happening in N.Orleans...that is a very sad state of things.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:31 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
dscluchfc: You are the voice of the people that is going to be heard more and more. Time for solutions. Get out of the way 'cuse here we come!

Chikagurl: You Rock!!! Keep up the fight and speaking the truth

Jamie
Old 09-02-2005, 12:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl
Whats dangerous are folks who "read into" something what simply isnt there.
Are you listening? They're having a BIG PROBLEM with lawlessness right now. Bottom line is ITS COSTING PEOPLES THEIR LIVES because help cant get to them.
Youd analyze the situation to the point when most of the survivors were desperate or dead.
They need help NOW.
Stop justifying everything...watch the people stealing TVs, cars, etc...they arent poor little "innocent people".
Cool man, whatever. Guess I was just listening to the news, not listening to it.

Just shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out, then.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:33 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Continuing to watch and listen to the news, I just saw the convoy of buses arriving at the Superdome, trucks bringing in boats for street to street rescue , and more for the promised recovery of those desperate New Orleans' residents. I'll admit, I wanted to stand and cheer at the sight, and my feelings reminded me of when I was much younger and saw the "cavalry ride over the hill" in those old Western movies!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
The Governor of LA made the best comments yesterday that I've heard so far. Everyone is blaming someone for not getting help. Simply put, THIS IS THE WORST DISASTER IN AMERICAN HISTORY and no one has EVER had to deal with a situation of this magnitude and furthermore, no one could have EVER planned for this type of rescue operation. A week in advance the Governor BEGGED the people of New Orleans to evacuate. He said he sympathizes with the people, but not the ones pointing the finger of blame.

People want to blame the president. Yes, perhaps he single-handedly stirred Katrina up to a Cat-5 in the Gulf. Yes, let's blame him.

I'll tell you who to blame. Let's blame all the other nations we have helped in their times of need who are doing nothing now. The hurricane was no one's fault, but they had damn well better be feeling pretty guilty for not sending relief now.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Closed Thread

« '03 Safari | Top | Katrina »