Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Goodbye & Thank You

After seven great years with the "Silver Slug" my 1975 Safari it was time to pass it along to new owners to continue to take care of it. They seemed like great folks and I hope they join this forum.

I cannot thank all of you enough for all of your help beginning with my first post "I just bought and old airstream now what the heck do I do?" to placing the ad and selling it this week.
During the first month my wife and I were lucky enough to go to our first airstream rally in Beverly Beach state park oregon. There were over 60 amazing trailers there. You folks were kind enough to get this newbie a pull through space instead of the terror of backing in your baby for the first time in a campsite. Folks helped me light my water heater, I had no clue there was a pilot light outside! Then late at night it broke and water gushed all over the floor ruining the beautiful (not) 30 year old orange shag carpet during a downpour. And people were there to help even in the rain. Wow! There are more great memories from that rally but that is my favorite.
Then there are these fantastic forums. So much amazing advice to help in every conceivable way. Without the elders helping this rookie along it would not have been the same relationship with the trailer.
But it is time to move on to a new chapter in our lives. It's funny what a personal attachment I had to that big aluminum box on wheels. But in the end I realized it was not a human being, it was a thing that could be replaced if we ever wanted to. But I must say seeing the back of that trailer drive away down the road with its new owners was much harder than I thought it would be.

Anyhow thanks a million to you folks who helped me that I never met face to face and goodbye to the nice people we met at the rallies and here on the internet.

All the best,
Frank & Leslie

Keep on Streamin.........!!!!!

SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Yes, but now everytime you see one of these trailers going down the road you will ask yourself, "What if?". I personally could not go though life like that, thus the reason I own four Airstreams. I could not handle wondering "What if I owned a 50's era, a 60's era a 70's era, what would my life be like? I had to know.

Enjoy the next phase whatever it maybe and just remember, next time you see that Aluminum tube going down the road, it could have been you ;-)

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We too seem to get attached to our vehicles and RV's. Just last week we dropped our 17 year old Nissan Quest Van off at the scrap yard. When the fork lift came over to pick it up the back window and hood got crushed. Kinda sad in a way.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Perhaps your care of the trailer will show in its new caretakers.

As a former HD rider (not a boutique rider), I learned these things can become idols in my life.. But, when I sold them, they each had associated, deep, powerful memories of friends made and friends lost.

I hope you choice brings great friends and memories... Be well.

Peace and blessings
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That was probably the last Beverly Beach rally that Janet and I organized glad it made such a positive impact on you. Our AS has been the hub around which friendships are made and adventures are had. Glad you enjoyed your time with yours, and good luck on your future adventures!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Goodbye & Thank You

Yes! It is hard to part with different machines. I have a 1981 Kawasaki motorcycle. Which I bought new. Have traveled in 40 of the 50 states and all of the Canadian provinces except Manitoba and Nunavut.
I am giving the bike to a Combat veteran who served 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. He belongs to a motorcycle club that supports combat vets, but can't afford a bike of his own.
I am 69 and just don't have the reflexes to be riding now.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote