Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
good scare - hydroplaning

Today I had a good, long hydroplane in the Yukon. First time that I've ever experienced this - at least, to this extent. It hadn't been raining for a very long time - or for very hard. I was driving between 45-50 mph and all the sudden, I was sliding towards the ditch. Thankfully all was under control before a nose dive into the alligator infested ditch! I did a couple google searches and found a few discussions regarding how poorly the Yukon handles on wet roads.

This experience got me thinking about towing. Does towing a trailer effect hydroplaning? I'm wondering if the engagement of the trailer brakes would assist in such a situation --- or would the whole rig be *out of control*? Anyone have any experiences with this?

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Laura!

While my GMC Suburban pre-dates your Yukon by several years, I had hydroplaning and directional stability issues from the factory. In my case there were two steps that resolved the situation.
  1. Locate an alignment shop that is accustomed to dealing with GM light trucks and sport utilities. I found one that would work with the truck until the settings were right on factory specification and not off by the allowable +/- amount. This made a tremendous difference in the directional stability and some very minor improvement in the hydroplaning issues.
  2. Careful tire selection. It seems like the GMC Suburban/Yukon is overly sensitive to tire selection. My worst hhydroplaning was with Firestone LT tires that it had from the factory. When I switched to M + S rated LT tires for the Suburban the hydroplaning issue disappeared and hasn't been back since. I have been utilizing Michelin tires since replacing the OEM Firestone tires.
Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Laura,
Glad to hear you were successful at avoiding a crash.My advice when towing in rain,reduce your speed,have good rubber on all wheels,if a skid does start while towing,lift off the gas,steer in the direction you want to go,don't touch the brake pedal unless a crash is near,only use the trailer brake if a jack-knife has already begun.
Drive Safe,
Dave
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Laura!

While my GMC Suburban pre-dates your Yukon by several years, I had hydroplaning and directional stability issues from the factory. In my case there were two steps that resolved the situation.
  1. Locate an alignment shop that is accustomed to dealing with GM light trucks and sport utilities. I found one that would work with the truck until the settings were right on factory specification and not off by the allowable +/- amount. This made a tremendous difference in the directional stability and some very minor improvement in the hydroplaning issues.
  2. Careful tire selection. It seems like the GMC Suburban/Yukon is overly sensitive to tire selection. My worst hhydroplaning was with Firestone LT tires that it had from the factory. When I switched to M + S rated LT tires for the Suburban the hydroplaning issue disappeared and hasn't been back since. I have been utilizing Michelin tires since replacing the OEM Firestone tires.
Kevin
Thanks Kevin --- I'll see what I can find. I believe there's a good alignment shop near me! I recall thinking the tires looked like the tread was worn but the GM shop that I took it to for a complete inspection (and a couple salesmen - not from the place I purchased it) all agreed that the tread was still good. Though one mentioned that the tire brand wasn't what he'd choose .... I'll check out new tires too. And the cash keeps flying.
Laura
Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Oh, and I'm running Firestone Wildnerss LE's. Came with the truck...
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
English is a peculiar language

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Today I had a good, long hydroplane in the Yukon. First time that I've ever experienced this - at least, to this extent. It hadn't been raining for a very long time - or for very hard.
Laura
I'd call that a BAD scare... and a really bad scare if I'd finished a venti non-fat latte about half an hour earlier

Glad you're ok - and yes your tow vehicle can be an anchor that keeps you straight - I blew a tire at speed while towing with my old Suburban - actually kinda boring when it could have been a rollover and Ms. Toad's Wild Ride!

Paula
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Been there, done that ...

Didn't like it at all. Early in a rainfall is a bad time. Oil, grease, and tire debris / dust are floated out of the "pores" of the road surface and can contribute to loss of control incidents. I "learned" about this in Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes and in flight training, but I got the most long-lasting lesson one day driving home from work.

Was driving a BMW with almost new high performance Michelin tires, etc. around a curve I'd driven literally thousands of times, and for certain hundreds of times in rain and snow both. But rain had JUST started maybe two minutes beofre I came into the curve at a prudent (and slower than usual) speed ... and I just glided sideways across three lanes of traffic, over a gentle curb, and stopped sideways motion (but not forward motion) about five inches from a concrete retaining wall. I had absolutely no control at all. Then traction resumed and off I went, scaring the bejabbers out of a bunch of commuters who probably thought I was drunk or crazy ... and increasing my pulse rate quite a bit. No damage done except to ego and pride.

So: watch those newly wetted road surfaces and slow down for sure at the onset of rain. After a downpour has cleansed the road surface a little, traction gets better.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Laura,
I am glad to hear you made it through OK.

Yes It can be a bit hairy. I was coming home in my VW Jetta TDI with brand new tires and "floated" across a lane of traffic when I didn't want to . Luckily I never really lost control, it just looked like a lane change, though I never turned the wheel.

I hope I never experience it when I am towing.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I've always thought that tire tread design had the most effect on hydroplaning...a design that sheds water efficiently and quickly would be the best for vehicles subject to hydroplaning areas of operation...

Of course the vehicle's axle width (tread), wheelbase, and gross vehicle weight would effect it's reaction to a flooded roadway situation, but the tire size and design would carry the brunt of the blame for a bad hydroplaning event...along with actual road speed, of course.

I've always used Mud + Snow tread designed tires for my road vehicles, and yet I've experienced some hydroplaning during a downpour on the Interstate...solution...SLOW DOWN if you find the roadway flooded!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Oh, and I'm running Firestone Wildnerss LE's. Came with the truck...
The Wilderness LE is a soft, cushy tire. They are great for Granny to go to the hairdresser, but not so good for anything resembling performance and control. Many Michelin tires have good tread life, and good traction, but the sidewalls are not very stiff, creating potential sway issues when towing. A friend with a Yukon totalled a brand new Airstream due to sway, and his truck tires were the factory Michelins. I have Firestone Transforce HT tires on our Silverado, and have never felt a wiggle. Not necessarily a "buy these" endorsement, but they do work well for us.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
One other tip, never use the cruise control on a wet road.

Also when the rain first starts, the roads are the worst. The rain mixes with all of the oil that has accumulated on the road since the last rain and it can get very slippery. Where I live it can be several months between rain storms.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You actually have two different scenarios going on here...hydroplaning and slick road surfaces. There is a difference, hydroplaning or lack of is in direct correlation to tire pressure, the higher the pressure the higher the speed it will take to hydroplane. Formula is: Speed (in knots) = 9 X the square root of the tire pressure (in psi.)

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Big fat tires also hydroplane more than skinnier tires.. the surface acts like a waterski on water... it just planes on top of the water surface. Tread design helps push that water away.. we did hydroplane once on the way to a rally, going 62, and hit a BIG puddle... right next to a semi... I found the whole rig slowly drift towards the semi.. when we got out of the groove where the water was collecting, and we regained control... that was enough to wet my pants, but noone in the van noticed.

Don't over steer, more steering won't make the situation better.. just lift off, and eventually you'll regain control.. hopefully straight ahead!

I run BFG Commercial T/A's.. M/S rated as well. Great tires. In the NW, you need to replace tires even before the wear bars show up to help with traction in the rain. The grooves just get get too shallow to work well.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Gee guys - I thank you for all the information! I plan on looking for new tires next week. Until then, I'll take it much more slowly - as the weather appears to be wet for a few days.
Laura
Old 05-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
when I read the first post my first thoughts were ALLIGATORS? in the YUKON.......

oops.
at any rate on the topic of hydroplaning.
I am very unhappy with ST tires made in China. Just had 3 of six fail (Hi-Run), belt separation but no blow outs.
I considered putting Michelin LT tires on the trailer but someone told me the tread was harder and would cause the trailer to hydroplane?
I also have a 2wd GMC 2500 HD 2wd, and am considering 4wd as I have seen two trucks in heavy rain with travel trailers in the ditch.
Would having 4wd engaged in such downpours be of any use?
Thanks
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
when I read the first post my first thoughts were ALLIGATORS? in the YUKON.......

oops.
at any rate on the topic of hydroplaning.
I am very unhappy with ST tires made in China. Just had 3 of six fail (Hi-Run), belt separation but no blow outs.
I considered putting Michelin LT tires on the trailer but someone told me the tread was harder and would cause the trailer to hydroplane?
I also have a 2wd GMC 2500 HD 2wd, and am considering 4wd as I have seen two trucks in heavy rain with travel trailers in the ditch.
Would having 4wd engaged in such downpours be of any use?
Thanks
Dan
All Wheel Drive might be of benefit in reducing the chances of hydroplaning, but I am not sold on the idea that four-wheel-drive is of great benefit. I am something of a loner on this issue, but my last three tow vehicles have had four-wheel-drive and my next WILL NOT. My '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer had quite satisfactory four-wheel drive that was of use when needed. My '95 Chevy K1500 -- Z71, and my '99 GMC K2500 Suburban have had four-wheel drive that is virtually useless. I have had much better luck reducing issues with hydroplaning through selection of a quality alignment shop and tires that shed water well and are stable with the particular vehicle upon which they are installed. I also run pos-track or limited slip differentials on all of my vehicles with rear wheel drive.

When I had to purchase new tires for my Overlander last month, I searched all over my area and found that most dealers had only no-name brand ST trailer tires except one, and that was the shop that sells Carlisle tires -- Carlisle still sells an ST tire with their name on the side -- Carlisle Radial Trail -- I must admit that I didn't check to see where the tires were made, but felt a little better that they at least had a recognizable brand name. Thus far, I am satisfied with the tires, but I have less than 500 miles on the set at this time.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Laura

If you like I can likely help you find a tire that is far less prone to hydroplaning. What year is your Yukon? What size tires does it currently have? Is it a Yukon XL?

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I am glad everything is OK! first off

I have first hand witnessed hydro plaining. ( the guy in front of me )

While towing. He pulled over, I dropped 1 link on his torsion bars, and off we went. Never had another problem. That being said, unless your tires are pretty well worn, I would keepum. For me, the old money tree in the back yard isnt bearing the cash it used to. Maybe your more fortunate.

I do agree with never press the brakes. Bendix did a slide test that I had the opportunity to be part of, (tractor trailer) They actually reccomend light acceloration, It plants the drives, and in short, enforces the main force ( forward motion) I can say trying to do that while your addrennalin in relesing is another story. You did good Laura.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Laura

If you like I can likely help you find a tire that is far less prone to hydroplaning. What year is your Yukon? What size tires does it currently have? Is it a Yukon XL?

Andrew T
Man Andrew - I'd take all the help I can get. I always say, "more information is always a good thing - even if you don't like what you hear".
I have a 2000 Yukon XL. I don't have the truck with me today - it's still raining so I opted to take my other truck. I think the OEM size is 235/75R15's. I'll confirm that when I get home this evening.

The Yukon is my daily vehicle (the other truck is For Sale). I only camp about 1x a month - and mostly within a couple hundred miles at best. However, I am selling my Xterra because I believed it wasn't a safe tow vehicle. So, I want to ensure my Yukon is safe --- or, that I BELIEVE it is safe. I am scared of hydroplaning and don't want to be white-knuckled every time it rains.

Thanks for any suggestions you have. I've been looking into the Bridgestone A/T Revo's but can't find the LT's....

Laura

Firestone Wilderness LE's.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Dan
Now that would be scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
That being said, unless your tires are pretty well worn, I would keepum. For me, the old money tree in the back yard isnt bearing the cash it used to. Maybe your more fortunate.

I do agree with never press the brakes. Bendix did a slide test that I had the opportunity to be part of, (tractor trailer) They actually reccomend light acceloration, It plants the drives, and in short, enforces the main force ( forward motion) I can say trying to do that while your addrennalin in relesing is another story. You did good Laura.
Well, I’m not more fortunate - unfortunately. But, I can’t stand to be scared to drive. And I am. A few years ago I had an Armada that hydroplaned at the drop of a hat. Thankfully, I never experienced a long, drawn out hydroplane like I did in the Yukon but, I never felt safe. And, I already bought this honkin’ beast to alleviate my concerns about towing safely. Now I feel compelled to fix the tire situation.

There is a small alignment shop a few miles away which has an excellent reputation. I called to see if they could get me the Bridgestone Revo’s and they couldn’t (in an LT or class E) for my wheel size. They asked what problems I was having and my concerns (hydroplaning & sway when towing) – then said I should stop in and let talk more with the owner to see if he could set something up. Hummmmmm Tire shopping seems awfully confusing now. How do I keep from losing my mind???
Laura

can't stop thinking about alligators in the Yukon - or, in My Yukon.