Old 06-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Good insurance experience. Bleh, ok, with dealer

We've had to use insurance for an "agreed upon value" policy on our vintage (barely) 1987. We're happy to report it was a good experience.

Last winter during the ice storm, some limbs fell on the Airstream. We reported the damage to our insurance company and were told to take it to any Airstream dealer we wished to get an estimate - or to Jackson Center.

We took it to Crain in Little Rock and got an estimate thousands of dollars above our trailer's "Blue Book Value". Three skins had to be replaced, along with a running light and tail light and their wiring.

I figured we'd find out for sure if our insurance really worked. It did. They were timely in processing our claim. They paid Crain all of it except for our $500 deductible and even sent a check later for shipment of parts that was not in the original estimate but was added to the invoice and billed to us by Crain.

Our claims representative was a professional woman named "Lakeeta" and she did an excellent job. I don't know if I am supposed to mention the company name we use, but we learned of it on this forum when we were newbies with no idea how to get it insured for what we paid. I guess the moderators can remove this sentence if it's a no-no, but we have Blue Sky insurance, which was recommended by members of this forum. I'm glad it was! I recommend it, too.

As hard as it can be to get a vintage properly insured, we just always sort of "hoped" they really would fix it if the damage was over the "book value".
It was. They did. We couldn't be happier. No dents or evidence there ever were dents. So, there really are good insurance companies who will insure vintage units worth far more than the book value. The service, professionalism and follow up were excellent. And our Airstream looks great other than spots of failed clearcoat we will eventually need to tackle.

Crain did a great job on the skin replacements. Not so much on replacing the shocks (a non-insurance item we wanted done). They couldn't figure it out despite Ray explaining and sending them a video showing how to do it. They even called at one point and said they'd have to drop the axles to do it. We told them no, and to leave it alone. We'll get an appointment in Jackson Center and will have them installed there.

Crain is Arkansas' new Airstream dealer - and in my opinion - has a ways to go in the service department and needs to learn about Airstream owners and how "picky" we can be about work done on our 'streams and how knowledgeable most of us are about our rigs. Crain is also very popular and is covered up most of the time to the point it is difficult to find a place to park a unit to wait for service. They also seldom get done as promised. I think that's because they are dealers for so many other brands and are too busy and do not have enough room on their property. So, although we feel they're trying and mostly good, we're not entirely happy with them for these and a couple of other reasons. (Like standing at their counter over an hour waiting to pay for and retrieve our trailer when they were already two weeks late getting the work done).

So, while we are trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, the jury is still out on Crain as an Airstream dealer, but the Blue Sky insurance is great.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins HD
1987 Excella 32'

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote