Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good bye and thanks Ronnie.....

Just a note to acknowledge that passing of Ronald Reagan. Some may or may not agree, but to me, growing up, it was always nice to know Ron was there.

As I've grown older (and more cynical at times) I long for the more simple times that were from days gone by. To me, in my lifetime, for all his faults (as any person has let alone a politician), Ronnie had a perceived strength that no other president has had since.

With that, I end by simply saying thanks (as I play my Atari 2600) knowing that for all your faults, you did make a difference in this world beyond just being President.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
R.i.p. #40...

It could have been a very historic day if Smarty Jones would have completed the Tri C. but it is still a historic day due to the passing of a very Historic American...
Silverhawk, Bob...
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Here too...

Jus A Quickie here from the UK...Yes very sad, although I DON'T do Pol-tics, I DO keep an ACTIVE eye on Yr top Guys...He was, in My opinion, a GOOD GUY...lousy COWBOY tho...93, aint a bad innins U kn...God Bless him wherever He may go...Chris.....
Old 06-06-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

As I See It

Absolutely the finest American (in total) that my mind can recall.
My respect for him equals my love for him. That is a rare equation.

If anyone you know ever goes searching for an example of true character, direct them first and foremost to Ronald Reagan.

If anyone ever seeks an example of the opposite of character, just direct them to any & all those who despised him, lied about him, tried to discredit him.
Some things in this world should be self evident. Only a fool would deny the splendor of a Giant Sequoia, the Magnificence of the Grand Canyon, the Comfort of a cool breeze on a summer's eve, the Miracle of Birth, or the Importance of Strength, Faith (and Resolve) when faced with Evil.
And only the foolish can overlook the Goodness and the Greatness of Ronald Reagan.
A Giant, Giant, Giant American he was and he is. I will today and always thank God for loaning him to us.

jaco

And BTW;
I cannot comprehend, and I shudder to imagine the presence of anyone from the Clinton administration including Clinton and/or Wife themselves daring to darken his memorial services in any way.

How do you compare a Majestic Stallion with a dung beetle?
One will (I think) spend eternity in a "Shining City on a Hill" and though it is not for me to decide, the other IMHO will wallow forever in it's own element far below.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
In my 30's I thought him the worst thing to ever happen to America. Couldn't understand how he got the nomination then elected twice.
In my 50's I see the ignorance of my youth. He saw the big picture and changed the world. Had there been more wisdom in us ( the not yet enlightened ) prehaps he could have done more. Prehaps we still can.
Sorry Ronnie, and Thanks
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
wwrd?

gonna miss him, too bad there are not more like him!

my all time favorite quote:"My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes." –joking during a mike check before his Saturday radio broadcast

i think part of his mass appeal was his humor.

john
Old 06-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Most of us, in our younger days, were ignorant to many things.

But, as we grow older, we usually become wiser and most of the time, much more tolerant, and, understanding.

We also, when looking back at many things in our past, wonder why we did some of the foolish things we did, and why we didn't do some of the things that we should have. Many of us, today, look back, and "now" we understand what our parents tried very hard to teach us, many times, in spite of ourselves.

Some of us, were gifted, such as Ronald Reagan, that seemed to have a life long script, guiding him to to do well, or better, in most everything he attempted. Some, as society is today, couldn't do a right thing, if they had a battery of writers creating a script for them. Our prison population speaks for itself.

Those that choose to do well, at an early age, usually reach those goals, and, with a little "luck" added to their learned skills, sometimes reach a plateau beyond their wildest dreams.

Ronald Reagan was one of those that choose well, early in his life.

Little did he know, how many lives he might touch, throughout the world.

It took far more than a "bulldozer" to take down the Berlin wall.

It took Ronald Reagan.

Thanks, Ronnie, for a job well done. You will be remembered, for a long long time.

Hopefully, your successors, follow many of your footsteps.

They owe the "Gipper" more than just one.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Having grown up around NASA, what I remember most were his words during the Challanger memorial - he really had a way of saying what needed to be said and what he said was from a deep sense of who he was and what he valued.

His values is what guided him in his life and we as a country benefited from that.

I know there were many who did not like him or trust him, but he proved them wrong - I can only hope and pray that we will follow what we learned from him.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I, too, needed the passage of time and a whole lot of maturity to see the greatness of President Reagan. The way he was treated and talked about by those who hated him, the way they twisted the truth he spoke, is a constant reminder that I was correct to change my political views.

One of my favorite quotes attributed to Reagan: The 9 most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" !!!!

God rest his soul and comfort his family.

Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote