Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Gonna move the AS...

Parked AS in the dead end alley behind my house. One neighbor is more excited about it than I am. Another neighbor who moved out of their house for 9 months while they did major renovation to their home, is not so happy. The AS sits about 80 feet from their house, but they can see the roof of the AS over the fence when they are on their backporch which is raised. Got a call yesterday to see when I was going to move it because they wanted to plan a party and well you know. Kind of hit me the wrong way, but I am a good neighbor. Spend alot of volunteer time keeping this neighborhood spruced up.
Since there are no covenants or restrictions I have decided to remove the back gate to the alley. Put in a large gate and then back the trailer onto my property. Instead of it being 80 feet away and out of view, it will now be 30 feet away and directly in front of their porch and kitchen window. Be careful what you ask for from me.
Also decided to have a 30 amp service installed. This will make a great guestroom for all my friends that want to come to Savannah. Somehow all of this makes me smile.
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I know it's wrong of me but... I like your style!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
dude!! i am totally with you on this one!!! you need any ideas to piss off the neighbors after they have been a JERK let me know, i'll help.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The only thing you may be opening yourself up for is that there are often laws | by-laws | county (or town) restrictions | exclusions, or whatever they can call them about trailers that are made into a "habitation", compared to trailers that are simply being stored.

If there is some distinction in your area, your 30A service may give the neighbour a legal reason to notch up the aggravation level...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
There are no by-laws or restrictions in my historic subdivision. The 30 amp would be a plug coming out from my garage. When I first met these neighbors 5 years ago they had not even bought their property yet. The husband who has a law background approached me about his property lines and asked me to sign a quit claim for part of the fence that was 6" over the line. I said for him to write it up and I would have my attorney look at it. I then asked that since he had a survey done was he going to move his back fence off the property that belonged to the city...about 600 sq ft.?
It was never mentioned again and his fence is still there. Doubt my AS will get any unwanted attention from the city.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
80 feet is plenty of room for neighbor to plant something tall, as long as it isn't black walnut or something else that drops large seeds. Landscaping can solve almost all visual problems, if it is a problem for him, he needs to take care of it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
I'm liking this.....neighbors can really test you at times..
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Please keep us posted on your neighbors "reactions".

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Chauvin , Alberta
Love it, had a similar sistuation, however the trailer was already on my property, replaced the AS with a refer van unit for the winter they don't complain any more when the AS shows up! Keep us posted.
lpatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I've learned to be careful what you ask for --- especially with regard to upper management. AND that a wished for alternative to the current condition/person can acutally be worse... unfortunately.

A retired neighbor complained about the timing of the other neighbor's generator self-test cycle (every Thursday at 2:00 pm). That neighbor asked me if it bothered me and I told him "NO, I'm at work anyway." Next day the test time was changed to cycle every Friday at 8:00 am. Damn - careful what you whine about!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Neighbors are interesting.

Last winter I brought home a 57 Overlander that was given up for dead and needed work. For lack of a better place to keep it I put it in our back yard after all the snow melted. I wasnt sure how the neighbors would react but it is my yard.

After about a week of looking at it through our back windows my wife decided it needed some colored lights hung from the awning rail. Off to target she went.Much to my surprise she found some nice solar powered lights.

Our neighbors called a couple of days later and mentioned how much they liked the lights on our trailer.

Maybe Scamper1 you could just hang some lights on it where it sits. Maybe even offer to let your neighbor pick them out

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Love it! I use my Airstream for company as well, especially when I have outside, loud parties! Tee Hee! We even decorate it for Halloween.

Luckily my neighbors don't complain. They were just amazed that a woman could back it in the driveway and always came out to watch for the first year I lived there.

Good luck and keep us posted.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
We had a similar situation with our older / original owner neighbor when we moved in. We live in a 50's community with no hoa or cc&r rules. We parked our in the driveway. The first week we were here she decided to come out and start yelling that we were trailer trash and to go back to the trailer park to which I told her to have a nice day. Mind you we have one of the nicest kept homes on the block so its not as if we li e in a run down shack too.

A week after of of conversation we stripped the Airstream and are now getting ready to polish her. Hmmmm... wonder what she'll think of the glare. Oh well. In the end if people were polite and nice to one another life who be so much simpler. Good luck with your neighbor.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
response

I wonder what his response will be? HE!HE!
I like your sense of humour!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
Parked AS in the dead end alley behind my house. One neighbor is more excited about it than I am. Another neighbor who moved out of their house for 9 months while they did major renovation to their home, is not so happy. The AS sits about 80 feet from their house, but they can see the roof of the AS over the fence when they are on their backporch which is raised. Got a call yesterday to see when I was going to move it because they wanted to plan a party and well you know. Kind of hit me the wrong way, but I am a good neighbor. Spend alot of volunteer time keeping this neighborhood spruced up.
Since there are no covenants or restrictions I have decided to remove the back gate to the alley. Put in a large gate and then back the trailer onto my property. Instead of it being 80 feet away and out of view, it will now be 30 feet away and directly in front of their porch and kitchen window. Be careful what you ask for from me.
Also decided to have a 30 amp service installed. This will make a great guestroom for all my friends that want to come to Savannah. Somehow all of this makes me smile.
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
You are so bad!!!
However the situation makes me laugh!!!Laugh loud!!!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
You should host a back yard rally, they would love that

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Enough is enough...moved it

Well I reconsidered moving the Airstream. I really do like to be a good neighbor. 12/15 got a visit from the Savannah Inspector. Someone had filed a complaint. Inspector could not understand why because it was a dead end alley, but they had to write me up. Move camper in 5 days or $1,000 fine. Inspector really nice and said they would work with me. Knocked down 60 year old Savannah Grey brick wall (bricks sell for $3 ea) which took me four days. Had a friend move the camper back 45 feet. Neighbor came home and asked how did I move it and then how long would it be there? Said did not want to talk about it and Merry Christmas. Later she caught me out by the "new" fence and was in tears. I mean tears? Explained I had planned to move it to a campground and when City cited me and suggested I move it onto my property, that is what I did. More tears. Really upset that she now looks out her kitchen window and sees the camper. I finally said that there had to be worse things than a camper in someone's backyard. Merry Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Moving Day 026.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	887.5 KB
ID:	117689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Moving Day 034.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	878.4 KB
ID:	117690  

Old 12-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Ah yes, the law of unintended consequences strikes again.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #19

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Hah! My neighbors must be angels as they get to see, and drive around, my 36' moho once in a while!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Wow - what a story! I agree; the tears are a bit much. Besides, it's a very pretty Airstream! I wouldn't mind being able to see it from my back porch. But then, I have an Argosy that lives in my driveway all year round, except when we're camping...

Good luck; I hope things improve with the neighbors!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote