1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Love the story!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
This house was chosen because of the lack of an HOA (and older houses are built of better materials, IMHO.) The rules here are that it can go anywhere on my land there is concrete and no easement.

That said, my neighbors on both sides have been consulted about where I should store the Airstream - one neighbor has issues with it, but the other is happy for us to let the newly laid driveway encroach onto their land if it helps me with clearances. They're awesome!

In an unrelated note, it is raining today for the first time in 96 days. Yay central Texas drought!

Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Not in Texas...

Asharoken Residents Seek Trailer Law Review - Northport, NY Patch
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #32

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Maybe plant some bamboo between the AS and the neighbors house. It will buffer the fence line.
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
make the trailer seaworthy.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #34
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Now needs a whirligig on the roof. Directional. Squeaky.

I agree with the bamboo idea (in the end). Have neighbors who planted a non-spreading variety that stands around 8' tall.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
The bamboo is great, now I can't see my neighbor's ancient boat anymore,
but I like the whirligig....
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
DO NOT intentionally plant bamboo - it is all encroaching plant that will not stay in the intended area and you won't ever be able to get rid of it without earth-moving equipment (not to mention the spider mites which live on the underside of the leaves).
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Maybe you could put up some framework and plant some fast growing vines, like hops. Then your neighbors will be happy because they can't see the AS and you'll be happy because you'll be drunk on home made beer! Hops really is a pretty, fast growing vine that covers a trellis relatively quickly, even in the north country. It's not invasive like some bamboos. It is perennial - I have one on the side of our wood shed.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #38
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The use of kudzu is deprecated.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Here is a photo of mine beside my house. One neighbor did ask why I didn't park it in the barn. I told him I would gladly do that if it were possible, but the sliding door track and important framing are 6" too low.

I don't think he had a problem with the AS parked there. It just looks like it would fit in the barn at first glance. No, I didn't find out the hard way. No HOA and checked all county and zoning stuff before buying it. Next house will have a barn with a taller door though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvparking.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	118045  
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master
1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Well, I'm here to tell you that living in the country isn't a fool-proof way of not having issues with the neighbors about the AS. We own 22 acres, live on a dead-end road, the closest neighbor on the West side is approx. three miles away; East side three or four miles away, South side 400-500 feet away; and the North side approx. 1000 feet. This neighbor on the North side told me that she uses binoculars to see what is going on at our house and to see who is visiting us. I have a small business and studio in our home, custom home furnishings. I do consultations in my client's homes, so I have virtually no foot traffic at my studio for the business except the rare visit from a designer. One time I had the sewing machine repairman delivering new machines, and she told me she used the binoculars to see who he was and what it said on the side of his van. She was upset.

Our township does not have an ordinance against campers, but it does have against mobile homes which are being lived in full-time, that is new ones -- if you have had one for years and are grandfathered in, you must immediately replace it or lose the grandfathering.

Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The lesson here is to research municipal bylaws, not just HOA rules. In this instance, it would appear that municipal bylaws were indeed a factor, otherwise the officer wouldn't have threatened the original poster with a $1000 fine. Had he done his research before assuming it was okay to park his trailer in the lane, he may not have gotten the neighbor upset in the first place. Now, it seems, he may have continued problems with these people, which is unfortunate. Hopefully it can get resolved without legal action. Good luck.
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio

I respectfully disagree. Some neighbors are just irrational or very controlling. They feel that the control they have over their property extends to limiting what neighbors do, or what happens on a public highway. It's easy to dismiss these people as "busybodies" but some of them can be quite malicious, or very emotionally involved in their need to control their environment.

In this case, the neighbor was "in tears" about this, and if it hadn't been this, they would have found something else to complain about.