Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
going hunting part IV

that time of year again!

off to enjoy my trailer for our annual deer hunt here in wisconsin!

will report back with this years results!

john
Old 11-17-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
that time of year again!

off to enjoy my trailer for our annual deer hunt here in wisconsin!

will report back with this years results!
I really enjoy eating venison. Ummmmm...venison steaks...venison stew...
BTW...you look pretty sharp in your blaze orange outfit!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I wonder how many times that big silver deer will get shot this year?
Keep your head down, and happy hunting!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
John, Good luck out there in God's Country! We're leaving the hills of VA in the morning for the annual Thanksgiving week Pheasant hunt in SD and in checking the weather it looks perfect! No blizzard! Hunt safe and Happy Trails
Old 11-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Awright John! Enjoy yourself & be safe. Hope the deer are moving in this mild weather. You'll have to post pictures of Babe's roadhouse some time.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Did you take your Airstream hunting?

Good luck on the hunt. Most the hunting in Idaho is done for the year, with the exception of a few muzzleloader or bow hunts.

Calvin
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Ya know, with the way deer seem to be jumping out in front of cars (had one jump in front of my rig and one jumped in front on my motorcycle)

I think someone should make a bullet with little headlights and a little blaring horn attatched.

Wait till dark, than just shoot in any direction, deer will be lining up just to jump in front of it, easy

Good hunting, John.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
Did you take your Airstream hunting?
I know he's long gone so I'll speak for him if I can without roving too far from the truth. John hunts in the vicinity of Elroy and Sparta, Wisconsin. There is a wonderful Rails-to-Trails bike path in this area. This area is a little too hilly to be in full cultivation, thus is more wooded than the average fertile area of southern Wisconsin. He and I have discussed an alternate Midwest rally near there some time next summer -- I don't believe it should conflict with Moraine View in June. Stay tuned...

He took his '92 Excella there in mid-October to store it in a friend's pole barn. His stored Airstream is his base for deer hunting IIRC. An air compressor is always close at hand so that he can have water inside but winterize quickly if needed.

John has messaged me about this Babe's 'country club' that I mentioned.
Quote:
yes a true piece of rural wisconsin!

old fashioned roadhouse up in the hills. you would never find it if you didn't see the old style sign next to the dilapidated log cabin.

nice place to have a tap beer and watch the packers!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Golly John, you don't look like you've aged a day in the last 3 years.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
update.

the opening weekend was nice with one major exception, more on that later.

bob got it right, yes i stayed at my friend's farm in the trailer. we were able to get in the woods early saturday and sunday, the weather was nice but not good for hunting. read no snow!

this year we had two junior hunters, a brother and sister 13 and 15 years old. it is always a great joy for me to be able to pass the hunting tradition on to youngsters. in wisconsin every two hunters who retire only one replaces them. not good for the sport, and will be the end of hunting on public areas if the sport does not continue to be stable in numbers. licence fees and excise taxes are what fund the sport. less hunters=less revenue for conservation efforts.

anyway, on opening day i saw one mid sized doe that i could not safely take a shot at due to the angle i was at. later one of the youngsters was on a small walk around when he jumped a very nice older buck with large antlers, he fired at 25 yards and missed. when i asked him what happened he said he shot low and saw the dirt fly. i asked had he sighted in lately, he responded um, no. good lesson learned.

we quit early and i suggested he get a couple of sight in shots before dark.

sunday morning i rousted the young man out of bed at 5:45 and said "you ready to go?" yup was the reply, and i can now hit a pop can at 100 yards!

we hit the woods and sat until about 9 am when a medium sized doe ran by our stands at a full run. junior took one shot and got the doe! nice work!

after retrieving and hanging his deer we had lunch and hit the woods again, the rest of our hunting party arrived and we all got set up for a nice afternoon of hunting.

then it happened.

two guys on 4 wheelers went roaring up the draw we were hunting. never acknowledged we were there and then after realising the couldn't get out turned around and went to the next draw. they had people posted on top to shoot whatever ran out.

what they were doing was driving deer with 4 wheelers!

disgusting behavior and illegal as all hell, i told the kids to pack it in. no more deer here. it made me mad, but it was a good lesson for the youngsters on how not to hunt deer and was unethical and illegal.

deer hunting in wisconsin is about hard work patience and luck.

not for these guys i guess.

the kids learned a good lesson, i know of a place in southern wisconsin that no atv's are allowed... perhaps we will hunt there from now on.

updates to follow....

john
Old 11-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
update.
what they were doing was driving deer with 4 wheelers!
john
Sorry to hear about that. I gave up hunting on public land years ago for the same type of reasons. Too many people think they can "stalk" deer on foot, (or they are such novices, they aren't capable of sitting in one place for more than a half hour) when all they are really doing is crashing around the woods ruining it for everyone else.

Good luck on the rest of the hunt.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote