Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2003, 08:45 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: nothing yet.....

Quote:
Originally posted by john hd
well, the second weekend was very enjoyable but no deer in the freezer!

fortunately with the extended season we have in wisconsin, deer hunting continues until the beginning of january.

the trailer was very comfortable and the temps ranged from the 40's to mid teens at night. sure is a nice place to crash after tromping around the woods all day.

my hunt continues locally, the airstream will remain unused until new years eve!

john
So, John, have any "deer" wearing flourescent orange been bagged yet? There always seems to be one or two every year.
Terry
Old 12-01-2003, 04:51 AM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
not bad

only 2 this year, and a couple of tree stand accidents. from what i have heard not a bad year safety wise.

with over one million hunters in the woods not to bad. more people die in car accidents in wisconsin than are accidently shot during hunting season.

worst year ever was 1941, something like 30 hunters were shot.

i'd have to do some research to get exact numbers.

hunting fatalitys dropped dramaticly in the early 60's when blaze orange was adopted.

however, there are always stupid mistakes!

john
Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
I spent last weekend and 3 days this weekend in the 34' Excella. What luxury. It got 25 degrees Friday night (yes, in Mississippi) and I stayed warm and comfortable. No deer taken, yet.

Off topic: Speaking of deaths, we had 2 senior citizens to die 10 miles from each other within 5 hours apart opening day.

Seems that when some people hunt their own land, they think they don't have to follow any rules. No orange vests, no identifying the type of deer shot at to see if it is legal, etc.

One of these men was killed by his son, and the other by a teenage neighbor. Both men were tracking wounded deer during the daylight. One was wearing orange, the other was not.

The shooters were shooting at anything that moved or taking "sound shots" - shoot in the general direction of something they heard.

Really tragic and so preventable.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Airstreams for hunting base camps

John & others,

You are right, the Airstream provides hunting luxury way better than anything I have experienced before.

Some of the comments in this thread talk of taking 31' and 34 footers to the hunting grounds. Here in NM shorter Airstreams are more manageable in the higher elevations.

We boondocked 3 days on a solar panel with a DVD movie each night. Temps in the low 20s at night and high 40s in the day. The mid day sun through the windows made the interior so comfortable that getting out of a warm shower was no shock.

Now if I just remove a couple of screens, I should be able to draw a bead from bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
fortunately with the extended season we have in wisconsin, deer hunting continues until the beginning of january.

the trailer was very comfortable and the temps ranged from the 40's to mid teens at night. sure is a nice place to crash after tromping around the woods all day.
john
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Deer season in IN around Thanksgiving.

I was on a Farmall, talking with jcanavera on my cell...cows to the west, deer hunters to the south. Brought my .50ae with me, but didn't have time to fire off any rounds. Wasn't hunting and didn't have any permits. I did manage to kill a few of these though:
Attached Images

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
John,
I had a disappointing season for '06. I played cat and mouse with an 8 pointer during the bow season and the closest I got to him was 80 yards as he came in behind me. I had first seen him standing in a field of clover as I drove within 25 yards of him on my way to my deer stand. I guess I saw him 3 or 4 times. I never saw him the rest of the year. I had a young spike buck come within 25 yards of my stand during the muzzleloader season. I raised the Thompson Center Renegade .54 cal. loaded with a patched round ball and popped the cap on him. Unfortunately, the Pyrodex failed to ignite. I quickly put on another cap as he ran behind a big tree. He then stepped out and I tried a shot at him again. Pop, a 4 second delay and then the dredded "hangfire" as I raised my face from the stock. He trotted off down the hollow. Rats, foiled again. I see an inline Knight disc rifle in my life next year. Highpower season was uneventful in that I saw very few does and I was holding out for a buck. I guess I'm not starving though. The place I hunt is about shot out but I'm working on a deer lease for next year to increase my odds.

I hope you had a good season this year.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Great Season

What a year.
Saw dozens of deer, had a shot with 15 minutes left in the muzzle loader season. I missed.
I use the Airstream as a changing/storage room for hunting/fishing gear.
The last deer I hit with my truck cost the insurance company $3,000 plus aggrivation. This year I flashed the lights, blew the horn, changed lanes, slowed down almost to a stop and the 'nubbin' buck stopped and turned his head sideways just before the bump. I thought I knocked him out. Broke the neck. Best we have had yet. No damage to the truck.
Funny how things work out.
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
well my season was not much better.

i saw a couple of does, one with 2 yearlings. never had a safe clear shot at any of them.

there is always next year!

john
Old 12-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #29
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
It wasn't our best year here either.
Hunted all three weekends - saw a lot of deer but just could never get that shot due to brush or they were running or one thing or another.
My buddy Mike never pulled the trigger this year though he too saw a lot of deer.
Finally on the last weekend I had a chance at a decent 6 pointer and MISSED!
Grrrrrr
I've been using open sights for 35 years but my eyes have changed so last year I went to a scope. I still can't get used to it.
Just before sundown on the last day a young doe came out and it was now or no venison this year. So I took her.
This I've been playing around with my tractors putting in a couple of food plots. Boy do the deer like that big rack mix.
I think I will expand my plots next year since they were so effective in drawing in the deer.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #30
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ultra

hear ya about the scope, i have hunted with them for years so it is second nature for me.

all i can say is practice practice practice. most folks are pretty good with a scope when sand bagged at the range, a moving target is another matter as you found out.

i always like to take a couple of free hand shots after bench resting my guns at the range just to get the feel of it again.

a few years back i bagged a doe at about 20 paces running right at me full tilt, all i saw was fur in the scope when i shot!

john
Old 12-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Misfired camera shots

My shooting is with the camera and I missed the shot of the year. Our 1-1/2 year old grandson was watching "The Lion King" sitting on the couch against the window and the baby deer came right up to the window behind him and we swear was also watching the TV. His nostrils were fogging the window. The deer continued watching while we were scrambling and moving around and then sauntered off.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
hunting

I use my Bambi for "hunting"...I just use a camera instead of a rifle!

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Our AS is set up as a hunting headquarters & lodge. I went with for the first time this year. The camping was quite comfortable! We don't use the water, but have a nice little generator for the lights and heat. The laptop makes a nice movie player! I went deer hunting for my first time this year. I saw about 15 deer last week Wednesday. If I had any experience, I probably could have shot at least 10 of them. Alas, I only watched them and managed to come home empty handed. Good thing I'm not bringin' home the bacon! We just opened Christmas presents and my kids got me a big-a** tree stand. Guess I'm invited next year!?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Becky,
There is nothing like being out in the woods away from civilization. I'm happy even if I don't see any deer. This is my mental health treatment if you know what I mean. I did see plenty of ground squirrels (chipmunks), grey/fox squirrels, hawks, and one of the nicest coats on a coyote I have ever seen. This is one of the first years I have not seen at least a raccoon during the season. Most of the guys would have shot the coyote but I was amazed at how pristine his coat was so I let him pass.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I really did enjoy just watching and listening. All of the adreniline rushes were a little hard on my heart, I'm afraid! I never had the shivers so many times in one day!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I like to hunt them little bream myself ......

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote