Old 11-27-2002, 10:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by NewStreamer
Why not use that gunship that can fly around the animal and fire the gatling gun or Phalanx , you can't beat those weapons, or maybe a guided missile . Don' t forget the drones to spot the deer.

LMAO

Ron
Because it's much more fulfilling to spot them yourself on snow cover, call them in close.. carefully without being spotted or scented... close enough to hear the razors on the broadhead slicing all the way through them as your tensed body releases the string and all that energy stored in the bow. Then, with flared nostrils, heavy breathing, and pounding heart, you get to track the blood trail they leave until they don't have enough to remain conscious, and finally expire.

Think twice about making fun of hunters using technology and making quick kills... not all do... at least all of the time.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Why I don't hunt any more

RoadKingMoe

You hit the nail on the head. That's the way I learned to hunt, but with a shotgun, not a bow. PA didn't allow rifles. It was real sport to do it right.

Texas hunting is putting out an automatic corn feeder for a month and then setting up a blind to shoot from. That's not sport in my frame of reference. Even our local state park is full of deer blinds (tho they don't feed corn as far as I know).

Last hunting I did was for antelope in eastern Colorado. Worst thing about getting an antelope is having an antelope.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:36 PM   #31
hex

Thumbs down "Muldoon's Axiom" proven again!

Quote:
"This is the "Off Topic" Forum. As long as people are civil and not personal, then the topic will go on. I personally like a little debate. I might even join in on the debate, but not in this post, as I am posting as a Moderator.

I know that when the thread was posted in the beginning, it was with good intentions and John HD was posting about a past time that he and many millions of others enjoy.

Every topic and subject has its pro's and con's. This one is no different. Enjoy and be kind.

-BobbyWright

-It's 2002 and I am still waiting for them to perfect Robots and Helper Monkeys." ......end quote
and moderators obviously.

Your above warning, admonition, philosophy, rant or whatever it was, completely contradicts your signature hypothesis about leaving un-necessary 'things' unsaid.

Unless something has been taken down, then I see no problem with this thread.Moe's,John's,John's and all others are fine, just honest opinion,well stated, Nor do Ron's posts bother me, a hunting supporter. A bit more MadCow over there and Ron'll be out in Sherwood poachin' the King's game himself. After all was not it you, our "super moderator" who posted the Ted Nugent picture (which I enjoyed)? Sorta got a dig in yourself. Then you have the audacity to post your warning! Sheesh! Reminds me of the arsonist fireman who sets the fire so he can enjoy putting it out. I suppose you will supress this post as well.
I am compiling a post regarding the over zealousness of some of the moderators on this forum, and will post it in good time.
I am obvioulsy NOT a subscriber to your hypothesis in this instance and think this point of view (mine) is long overdue to be stated here.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
No, I meant I would not go either way on this subject in that one single POST I made above as a Moderator. I was posting above as a Moderator because one of the Good Members did not realize that this was the "Off Topic Forum. Lots of other great stuff!"

I was merely pointing out that this topic, as any other topic, can be freely discussed in the "Off Topic" Forum as long as it complies with the "AirstreamForums.com Usages & Policies", which everyone who signs up must agree to. To complete a membership here, it is the "Agree" button that is pressed before the membership process is completed. That is why the Off Topic Forum is here. To discuss Off Topic matter. I wish there was more off topic discussion done here. I have to go to other sites to get it.

It is correct that I made a gig with the Ted Nugent book post. I actually own a copy. It was a gift from a good friend that I got into this very same discussion with not long ago. He is very Anti-Hunting, Anti-Firearm, a vegetarian and a member of PETA. We have had this discussion many times, but he is still one of my best friends. I also made another Post above about being a vegetarian (I am not). Both were in the spirit of this threads topic,Hunting, and posted as a Member, not a Moderator. No names were mentioned in either of the posts nor did I call anyone out. I might even chime back in on the subject. I like joining into the party as a Member of the Forums also. This topic, among others, is one I have discussed many times with the "Left Leaning Anti's", some who are my very best friends. I visit some other Forums on the Internet were all we do is discuss, and heatedly I might add, topics like this and others. I just tend to keep it light here.

The only time the Moderators have taken action on Posts in the other Forums is when a Member who can't discuss a subject logically and factually, starts to make personal comments to another member or when we receive PM's from enough Members that they are unhappy with the way a Post if going. It usually has to do with one Member singling out another Member with personal attacks and/or taking the thread way off topic. Some people, when they feel they are losing ground in a discussion based on logic and facts, feel the only way to gain the higher ground is to start making personal attacks totally unrelated to the subject they are trying to discuss.

"Super Moderator" is the label that the vBulletin© software that is used to run the AirstreamForums automatically assigns a person that has the Administrative Rights to Moderate in any of the forums. It is not one I picked. I volunteer here to help the Owner of this Private Forum manage this site. My compensation here is getting the privilege to interact with the all of the Good Members of this Forum. Very few times as a Moderator and most times as just a Member.

Best Regards;
-BobbyW
Old 11-28-2002, 11:10 AM   #33
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
another photo

here was the view from my buddies back porch...might get us closer to being "off topic" again.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air_1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	931  
Old 11-28-2002, 11:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
From my den

Three of about 8 that were grazing when I got up this morning. I spooked them when I let the cat out and I wasn't fast enough to catch the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer in back yard.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	932  
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-28-2002, 12:46 PM   #35

Thumbs up

Beautiful pics, John & John

Ron
Old 11-29-2002, 07:18 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Kewl~!

That's 'postcard' perfect~!!
Very nice Fall colours as well..

BobbyW
Quote:
I'm a vegetarian. Not because I love animals. Its because I hate plants.
Remind me not to 'ever' get on your hate-list...lol
ciao
Old 12-01-2002, 04:18 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Any luck with the hunting? The guys around here have been doing fairly well.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:06 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

I thought that was a painting.....

Beautiful shot John, the background haze sets the whole pic off. That's what made me think it was a painting at first glance. Oscar
Old 12-01-2002, 05:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Just a frosty morning in Texas

The sumacs are still red and there is a lot of yellow. That's common about this time of year in the Texas Hill Country. Days are shirt-sleeve and many mornings are right at freezing.

The sun had just broken through when I took the shot, but the haze was stll on the hills and frost was still in every shadow.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-01-2002, 05:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
We really enjoy the Austin area Hill Country. Go every year for a week. Always see tons of deer. We sat on the porch one summer morning throwing apple chunks to a herd of 8. I thought they were going to come in the cabin.

I envy the view out your window John.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 05:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Thanks, BOBBYW

This is my own little slice of heaven. Every day of the year, the view changes in some new and different way. Today, it was a pair of roadrunners after the last surviving grasshoppers. Believe it or not, a few grasshoppers out of the summer horde are still surviving.

I was standing in the family room when I took the shot through tinted glass. The tint, along with the haze, may have added some of the dreamy color to the shot.

I thought it looked a little like a painting, myself.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-01-2002, 05:44 PM   #42
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
john

just by looking at the picture i would have guessed it was taken in wisconsin, at about the end of september.

nothing but sticks and snow up here now.

john