Old 01-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
GMC Tow Vehicle Extended Warranty

The factory warranty on my GMC Envoy will expire this year and I keep getting offers from GM to purchase an extended warranty. Since I have to keep this vehicle if I want to move the Bambi, I am tempted to get the warranty.

I am getting ready to read the fine print in a sample warranty and am wondering if anyone has experience with a GM extended warranty that would help me decide whether to buy it or not.

Thanks.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Insurance

Warentees are nothing more than insurance policies. They are as good as the people and organization behind them. I think GM is self insured. That means you only have to deal with GM, rather than some other third party company when it comes to trying to collect for repairs. GM has a good reputation and is trying to maintain it. I think there may be a kick back to the local dealer who sells the policy and that might jack up the price a litttle. The complexity of the new trucks and high cost of replacement parts and labor seem to tell you that, if you you use your vehcile alot and have no way of fixing it cheap, an insurance policy is a good thing. Even the best of products break ocassionally.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
The factory warranty on my GMC Envoy will expire this year and I keep getting offers from GM to purchase an extended warranty. Since I have to keep this vehicle if I want to move the Bambi, I am tempted to get the warranty.

I am getting ready to read the fine print in a sample warranty and am wondering if anyone has experience with a GM extended warranty that would help me decide whether to buy it or not.

Thanks.
I bit the bullet on my Quad steer and extended. The contraption that makes all wheel steer is some expensive. Just make certain you are signing up for the GM authorized one, I have received solicitation for a brand X that claimed to be GM, I know a couple guys that got them and the hassle to get service was tremendous!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, make sure you have the GM Protection Plan if you are going to go with an extended warranty-- if they will sell it to you. The reason I say that is because in the past GM only sold the GM Protection plan at the time of new sale or if they were having a special, rare promotion.

When I bought the DCM Impala, I picked up the warranty thinking it was a GM one....it wasn't, and the company was a nightmare to deal with, didn't cover much. Lucky for me I had a few labor intensive parts that needed repair and I broke even on it. That is not to say all 3rd party warranty offers are the same, but the one I had really was not the best. If a part broke and the dealer found the problem after 5pm, the claims center was closed and they could not get an authorization, so the car either would wait until morning or if I was in a hurry, I would take my chances that the part was covered.

Read the fine print carefully, because even the GM one depending on level purchased will only cover specific items. In essence, you are gambling against the house that you will recoup the cost of the extended warranty, and hopefully surpass what you spent on it. Seems oximoronic I agree, but when I picked up the Suburban in late 2004, I bit again, only this time with the GM plan. Now I don't hope I loose my transmission, but if I do, or I lose a water pump, fuel pump, A/C blows out, any three of those will most likely break me even, unless the trans dies, then I will have actually saved $1500 above what I paid for the extended warranty.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I agree, make sure you have the GM Protection Plan if you are going to go with an extended warranty-- if they will sell it to you. The reason I say that is because in the past GM only sold the GM Protection plan at the time of new sale or if they were having a special, rare promotion.

When I bought the DCM Impala, I picked up the warranty thinking it was a GM one....it wasn't, and the company was a nightmare to deal with, didn't cover much. Lucky for me I had a few labor intensive parts that needed repair and I broke even on it. That is not to say all 3rd party warranty offers are the same, but the one I had really was not the best. If a part broke and the dealer found the problem after 5pm, the claims center was closed and they could not get an authorization, so the car either would wait until morning or if I was in a hurry, I would take my chances that the part was covered.

Read the fine print carefully, because even the GM one depending on level purchased will only cover specific items. In essence, you are gambling against the house that you will recoup the cost of the extended warranty, and hopefully surpass what you spent on it. Seems oximoronic I agree, but when I picked up the Suburban in late 2004, I bit again, only this time with the GM plan. Now I don't hope I loose my transmission, but if I do, or I lose a water pump, fuel pump, A/C blows out, any three of those will most likely break me even, unless the trans dies, then I will have actually saved $1500 above what I paid for the extended warranty.

Thanks, y'all. Silvertwinkie, what is the mileage/number of year caps on your coverage? The plan I was sent is the GM Protection Plan, but it sure seems expensive. 3 years/54,000 miles for $1,800. For three years, I can self-insure for that kind of money. $600 bucks a year? I can't imagine the truck will fall apart in three years......

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to double check when I dig up my paperwork. I think what I paid was close to the same as you post, but I also recall them saying that if I didn't buy it at the time of truck purchase (new) that the amount went up if I decided to do it later.

When I did it, I based it on the fact that over the 3 years, I broke even on the last one and I had the money at the time of purchase, plus my wife insisted I get it. The odds are that by 2010 (since I clearly won't hit the milage caps), I will most likely have some issue(s) come up that will make this come in handy and who knows if I'll have the money down the road. Truthfully, I said no to it to it when first asked, but my wife said, to take it...she's a warranty junkie, where I tend to crawl under the car/truck regularly and tinker with moderate success. We'll know who was right or wrong toward the end of 2010.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
luckydc,

You can shop the gm warranty on the internet. You don't have to buy from your selling dealer. There used to be a dealer or two somewhere up east (new york state I think) that would discount the gm warranty. I don't know how much dealer gets but, it is enough to shop around.

Try www.chevytalk.com and go to the forum for late model trucks or your model and ask the same question. I have read some very good comments on that site on the same subject.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Thanks, y'all. Silvertwinkie, what is the mileage/number of year caps on your coverage? The plan I was sent is the GM Protection Plan, but it sure seems expensive. 3 years/54,000 miles for $1,800. For three years, I can self-insure for that kind of money. $600 bucks a year? I can't imagine the truck will fall apart in three years......
If you have properly cared for and serviced your Envoy, and you have had no major issues with it, I would put the $600 a year in the bank and see what happens. Most people get piece of mind from these warranties, but they cost more than 95% of the people will ever collect from them.

AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote