Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Myth. The planet isn't over populated. I'm sure you've been out west. Our problem is resource management and getting along. We don't share and we don't play nice together and we have an even harder time working together to solve our problems.
Great topic and great response above.

As a teacher I have always been drawn to science topics and issues; however, as I have gained some "mileage" I have learned to be more attentive to fact. When I first learned of Global Warming it made me think of several scientific issues with such claims of known origin, etc. First off, science is about following scientific principle, method and, in most cases, with facts, people can come to an agreement on replicative tests, observations, etc.

On belief:
This is my two cents- anything that is being sold as science but does not or cannot follow scientific method is questionable as science at all. My German neighbors told me in a discussion once that the German language calls these non-observable sciences "Ghostly Sciences" as it is difficult to ascertain a conclusion. Cameront120 has a point in that a discussion of this nature has a tendency to divide people; however, academic discussions often and should do so. Many people choose science as their their religion, which on the non-observable issues it certainly a matter of faith to believe claims that begin with "millions of years ago" or "over the past thousand years, " when such has not been observed and the methods for determining such a claim are often flawed. How do you believe long term climate reports when even day to day weather is so often misreported?

on detail:

The concerns over the climate change argument are valid. There are many examples. If you reference the topic and look at the dangers they mentioned, many never happened or the exact opposite occurred. We were told there would be record heat globally called the Polar Vortex- we have seen more cold records than heat records. We were told that snow would disappear- it hasn't. We were told that it was based upon CO2 production of man- urban areas, China, Africa and when the trace study was done, the rain forests of South America were producing more CO2! The WORST part of it all is the political aspect- people being fired if they do not believe it, Senators calling for jail terms for those who speak against it, profiling of nay-sayers, planned taxation, regulation and controls on consumers all while those who are the spokespeople have the largest carbon footprints- jets, massive homes, etc. Interestingly if you reference global climate, you will find that back in the seventies many of the same people were yelling over Global Cooling. Go figure. Be glad you have an Airstream- now if someone would just make a non-audible air conditioner!

Old 11-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #114
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
BRILLIANT! Watch Ted Cruz DESTROY Sierra Club President on Climate Change | The Jay Weber Show on News/Talk 1130 WISN

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
Old 11-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
To Change Or Not To Change?

I grew up in a town where every day about 4:00 p.m they opened up something at the local foundry and let loose so much crap into the air that it looked like doomsday, everyday. They don't do that nowadays. I'm glad.
I am old enough to remember when Lake Erie was a stinking cesspool. It is not like that today. I am GLAD. I remember this river running though Cleveland that was so full of stuff that should not be in any river anywhere, it caught on fire. It does'nt burn these days. I am so glad for that.
What I will say is that even though alternative power sources, wind solar, geothermal are all very expensive today, that is O.k. They are all in their infancy and will become even more efficient and therefore cheaper with time. That is good.
Is the planet warming? I don't know. But if the concern of that being true causes mankind to change their ways and learn to be more efficient in the consumption of the resources that we have been put in the care of, well then that is a good thing to. That also makes me very Glad.
Can man have a negative effect on the air, land and water of our planet Earth? You better believe they can. Can we change? I think so, but it will take time and unfortunately more mistakes. Let's just hope we learn from these screw-ups before it is to late.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Where is an Alien when you need one, to get the truth............
Old 11-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Pretty much confirms what many if us are saying.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Unbelievable there are people like that...
Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #119
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Pretty much confirms what many if us are saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Unbelievable there are people like that...

It's those kinds of people that are pushing this stuff.

Unlike Joe Friday.... "Just the facts, ma'am."

It's

"Don't bother me with the facts, Senator."
Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
And here is why people say critical thinking is dead.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #121
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
And..... if you don't agree to drink the kool-aid:

Al Gore at SXSW: We Need to 'Punish Climate-Change Deniers' and 'Put a Price on Carbon'

These folks just can't STAND independent, free, thinkers!!!!

Algore, still trying to be relevant.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 PM   #122
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is a new way to incorporate self protective layers... And perhaps make a new "beanie" to mitigate the "thought waves"...you could really seal yourself up!!!

Aint technology fun!!!
Electromagnetic Field Shielding Fabrics

Old 11-29-2015, 11:57 PM   #123
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Thanks, jcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Because your links are all connected to the flawed studies by the same interconnected groups that have a political agenda. Almost all the studies are done by the UN or other political agency's. The scientists must come up with the prearranged conclusions or have there funding cut off. This is a fact. Follow the politics from the universities on up to the federally govt and the UN. Lockstep. Studies done by nongovernmental connected organizations are generally ignored out of hand. Why? Someone doesntvwant the pot stirred or the truth to come out. Yes, oil companies have a vested interest in climate change studies, financially. But govt funded studies have a politically vested interest, world domination through legislation based on false assumptions. And the polis are winning!!
Actually it works the opposite way. A major source of funding for academic earth scientists comes from contracts with industry. A credentialed climatologist proposing to demonstrate that climate change was bogus would have no trouble getting funded by Big Energy. Moreover, climate scientists come from nations all around the globe. Scientists in Britain or Japan are not beholden to the US federal government for research funds. The UN is not a major source of funding.

It is now known that Exxon was conducting climate impact studies decades ago but decided to suppress the evidence found by their own scientists. (A charge, in fairness, that Exxon denies.) However:
ExxonMobil pioneered climate-change research in the 1970s, and now it’s attacking media reporting on that - Quartz
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #124
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Its pretty simple really and Ray is 100% correct. Climate is in simple terms long range weather, predicted by climatologists who are weather people with slightly more schooling or no more at all above the BS in Meteorology, which I have among other GI paid for degrees.
Academic and government scientists should not be confused with the broadcast meteorologists that you see on television. The former generally have doctorate degrees and post-doc experience.

Quote:
So, weather people cannot accurately predict the weather five days out, how then is it possible to predict the weather 100 years out. It is not. Then to spend globally Trillions of dollars each year to prevent what even the most ardent supporters of man-made climate change agree is a 1 degree increase in world temperature is absurd. Then take the climate forecasts as reported on Good Morning America in June of 2008 of what would happen by June of 2015 - reported by Climatologists: NYC would be under water; a gallon of milk will cost $12.99, due to climate change; a gallon of gasoline will cost $9.00, due to climate change. Then go back to 1973 when the same group predicted that the world was entering a new Ice Age and would be in frozen by 2000.
It is important to look at time scales. Climatologists (so far as I know from talking with them personally, back when we were employed by a university) generally work with 30-year running averages. If you were to look at graphs of annual temperature or precipitation, you would see a lot of bumps and wiggles from year to year. Some ups and some downs. The 30-year average smooths these out. Most atmospheric scientists don't like to say that a given year shows evidence of global warming, although they do note how many heat records have been broken in recent years.

I don't know who your Climatologists are, but this report sounds nothing like the researchers we knew. Of course, a bunch of the NYC metropolitan area was under water in 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy.

Quote:
Nothing has happened, a global climate change of 1 degree is insignificant and will not flood coastal areas not change the price of anything. One side of the political spectrum states that Climate Change is the biggest world threat. Interesting statement, but again all a financial power play and one that takes the world focus off the real threats out there. Keep in mind that the disappearing Ant Aritic Ice Cap is growing substantially over the past two years - "warming"?
We are losing the world's alpine and continental glaciers. Yes, in a given year an ice cap may expand. But scientists look at running averages over decades. I recommend a trip to Glacier NP and the Columbia Ice Fields in the Canadian Rockies for some dramatic "then and now" examples.

This is important because in the US and globally, many people depend upon the fresh water "reservoir" provided by mountain snow melt.

Scarce fresh water resources will surely become a bigger issue in the Near East.

Also, climate change models don't suggest that each and every place will get warmer, due to north-south patterns in the jet stream and ocean currents. Some think that the Northeast will get more nor'easters, for example. This is why many scientists prefer terms like "climate change" or "global change" to "global warming."
Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 AM   #125
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
I would be less hostile to the notion of man made climate change if I didn't see so many people poised to make a bundle of dough off of it if new laws are enacted.
We might also consider the people making a bundle of dough now with our present systems of mining and burning fossil fuels.

Quote:
Of course one would need to ban second houses, more than a couple pairs of shoes, thermostats that can be turned up over 68 degrees, fishing boats, snomobiles, pro sports games and stadiums, Airstreams, toys, makeup, sexy clothing, more than a 2000 calorie/day intake, personal transportation televisions, lawn mowers, and a huge list of other things that are unnecessary for general survival.
Right?
This is the old "freeze in the dark" argument. The fact is that we are all well advised not to buy expensive stuff we don't need or use often, not to eat more calories than we burn, and not to waste money unnecessarily with super-heated poorly insulated houses.

Even for serious anti-environmentalists, downshifting is a great way to trim ugly fat out of our budgets.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #126
2 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
I'm new here (I think this is my third post). I don't have an Airstream yet, just looking around really, but I had a strange experience with a dealer recently and I wanted to share it. I hope this is the right place.

I live in a really mountainous area, and I've never towed a trailer before. I do have a half ton truck, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough for the trailer I'm looking at. The dealer was kind enough to let me hook up the trailer to my existing truck and try it out - provided he rode along with me for the test drive.

It was really freaky at first, but we spent some time in the parking lot before heading out onto the roads. Within 30 minutes or so, we had gone many miles up into the mountains. After going up and down several reasonable inclines, I was feeling pretty comfortable - until we started the trip back down the mountain.

We started gaining too much speed - or at least, what felt like too much speed. "Am I going too fast?" I asked the dealer.

"Naw, we're fine," he replied. "Airstreams are built to move."

"But it seems like I have less control than I did earlier. The whole rig doesn't feel like it's responding the way it did a while ago."

"Don't worry about it," he said. "Like I said, you've been moving for a long time, you're moving right now, and you're going to keep moving in the future. Motion is constant. There's nothing you can do about it anyway."

"Well, I could apply the brakes," I said.

"The brakes?" He laughed. "Son, those brakes aren't going to do anything. You're being sold a bill of goods by the braking industry. They just want to make money off of you by selling you new brake pads that you don't need! Don't be a sucker!"

"I'm fairly certain that brakes are necessary," I told him. "In fact, in a survey of automotive experts, 97% of them recommended slowing down by applying the brakes in this particular scenario."

He frowned. "Think about it, son. Use your head. You're going down a mountain in several tons worth of metal. The mountain itself is thousands of feet high. And you really think you can do anything about it by wiggling your foot a little?"

"Well, like I said, I'm new at this, and I don't really know all the technical details. However, from what I understand, the mechanisms behind hitting the brake pedal & creating friction on the wheels to slow them down is fairly well understood."

"It's only a model," he said.

"It's not just a model," I replied. "The real-world effects of momentum-arresting are being studied around the world every day in real-life situations, and pretty much everyone who studies these things says I should slow the heck down right now!"

"You're a pawn! You're being duped!" he shouted. "The effects of engine braking, trailer sway, trailer brakes, vehicle brakes, mass and momentum, etc. are all really complicated, hard to sort through, and difficult or impossible to predict! Therefore, it's best to just not do anything at all!"

"I'm beginning to think that all this arguing is getting us nowhere!" I shouted. "And we're just going faster and faster!"

And then we drove right off a cliff...