Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wink Getting it up....

Now that I have your attention...

All I'm talking about is getting my big butt up into the bed of my new 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab safely... and of course getting back down dignity and safety. Your thoughts?
  1. Lighted Hitch step - seems OK for a half ton, but it's still going to be a big first step up and down, plus at 5' 6" I don't know if my legs are long enough to clear the tailgate
  2. Folding step stool - red plastic to match the color of the truck, two step model... bungee corded to the inside of the tailgate. Lower tailgate, remove and set up steps?
  3. Ramp? Overkill?
  4. Something else I don't even know about?
Next topic - A new brake controller. I went to Northern Supply today - first trip - cool, but they only had one brand which looked like something in-house. Two controllers, one $49 the digital one $69. Are these any good? Would I be better off ordering a Prodigy? Other brands?

Third topic - It has pleasantly surprised me how much useful storage there is inside the crew cab. Of course with the great cleanout I did throw away lots of stuff too. There is a lot of room UNDER the rear seats where my weight bars and trunnion now live. Still, it's obvious I will need some storage in the bed, but doubt I'll really need a full tonneau cover. Any wisdom about the best kind of storage boxes to get? I'd like to keep the EU1000 generator, my small grill and possibly one spare propane tank outside - along with misc. crap that you need once in a while - like 60 ft of white hose.

Paula
Old 11-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi paula

did u not get running boards?

if not they are pretty useful.

and IF you want the trick'est ones made check out the amp research retracting version....

Amp Research

very very cool!

cheers
2air'

ok never mind, i see you are referring to the bed, not the cab, still the power step rocks!

i use a 2 step rubbermaid folding thingie....

Rubbermaid Folding Step Stool (4209-03)

2 years and 260lbs it still works great.

and don't the chev-ez now have an integrated brake controller option? i'd have the dealer fit one IF it wasn't ordered with it...

you may not want a full tonneau cover but they do improve mpg and some measure of protection/security to bedded items...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Paula,
there are several brands of "tailgate steps" available. They bolt to the tailgate inside the bed, extend down once the tailgate is opened. JCWhitney has it. Also just google truck accessories and pick one. use their search for 'folding tailgate steps'. common price seems to be around $50.
Good luck

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Paula, I keep a stepstool in the bed that I use when getting up into the truck bed or for reaching anything more than two feet from the tailgate. I'm 5'5'' and can't reach over effectively at all without the stepstool. One thing I hope to add to enable reaching is a piece of step that runs from the beginning of the truck bed to the wheel. We have the running step for getting up in the front seats and crew seats, but I really need that to continue on to give access to the "front" part of the bed. I remember asking for that when we got the truck, and all the men just smiled and ignored me. ARGH!!! Maybe I'll have that by spring! We use storage boxes when camping, and I really like having the tonneau cover to "hide" the bed contents. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Stand on a little blue pill

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i find that my metal tool box make a great first step and the top of the tire makes a fairly good second step.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Brake controller

A Prodigy is a great controller. When I bought my GMC2500 last summer I took the Prodigy from my Suburban and gave it to the salesman. The new truck is prewired, and it is simple for those folks to find the wire harness and plug it into the controller and mount it. No extra charge.

For those of us who are "vertically challenged", a plastic step stool is a necessity. Anything - one step or two - will help a lot. I have a topper on my truck that has opening windows on the sides which also helps provide access to the "stuff". Good luck.

Dwight
31'Classic
'05 GMC 2500 6.0
Equalizer, Enkay flaps
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ER A...buy a new Ford with the built in tailgate step and handle? ...Just kidding
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
I use a contractor box for extra storage. It's a heavy duty plastic lockable box about 2' high by 3' X 2'. I have used it for a step. I have a roll up tonneau to keep things out of sight and cleaner. It's lighter and easier than the hand ones. "Myth Busters" demo show a decrease in milage using one though.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Paula,

Can't comment on the 'big step' as I drive a van (I DO like the blue pill idea though ), but if you give some thought to what your brake cotroller is doing and how much you depend on it to properly operate the trailer's brakes, how could you consider any off-brand of controller? Look at what's at stake if the controller fails........

Go for it and get a Prodigy or new P-3. For safety's sake! You owe it to yourself and your trailer!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Why get in the bed? Just use a bed slide and bring the contents to you! IFW Bed Slide
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Be Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Now that I have your attention...

All I'm talking about is getting my big butt up into the bed of my new 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab safely... and of course getting back down dignity and safety. Your thoughts?
  1. Lighted Hitch step - seems OK for a half ton, but it's still going to be a big first step up and down, plus at 5' 6" I don't know if my legs are long enough to clear the tailgate
  2. Folding step stool - red plastic to match the color of the truck, two step model... bungee corded to the inside of the tailgate. Lower tailgate, remove and set up steps?
  3. Ramp? Overkill?
  4. Something else I don't even know about?
Can't help you on these. I am 5' 10" Getting the bed is no problem.
Quote:

Next topic - A new brake controller. I went to Northern Supply today - first trip - cool, but they only had one brand which looked like something in-house. Two controllers, one $49 the digital one $69. Are these any good? Would I be better off ordering a Prodigy? Other brands?
Most of the stuff at Northern is junk or nearly so. I would not buy anything from them that I depend on. Get a prodigy or equivlent.
Quote:
Third topic - It has pleasantly surprised me how much useful storage there is inside the crew cab. Of course with the great cleanout I did throw away lots of stuff too. There is a lot of room UNDER the rear seats where my weight bars and trunnion now live. Still, it's obvious I will need some storage in the bed, but doubt I'll really need a full tonneau cover. Any wisdom about the best kind of storage boxes to get? I'd like to keep the EU1000 generator, my small grill and possibly one spare propane tank outside - along with misc. crap that you need once in a while - like 60 ft of white hose.

Paula
I had a weatherguard saddle box.
WEATHER GUARD Saddle Truck Tool Boxes

It worked well. Whatever you do get one that opens all the way across that way you can put long things in. I needed more space and got a topper.
Good luck with the new truck.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
My self Paula I prefer a Lear Cap that I can lock. Mine has no windows and the rear window in the cap is covered . OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND I aways say. I can keep my Gen,toolbox,trailerSpare,extra propane and gas for gen.Leveling lumber(also for tire changing) Just some food for thought. Oh I have a foldinstepstool that MaryLou found at GoodWill works great for gettin my fat ass into the bed also.LOL Oh my brake controler was only bout $40 i think its a BRAKEMAN. Good Luck
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Step

I had a step welded up at a welding shop. It has a square tube that inserts into the receiver hitch on the truck. When installed the step is 1/2 way between the ground and lowered tailgate. The actual step part is expanded metal so it is very slip proof. The length of the tube is equal to the width of the lowered tailgate plus the width of the step plus enough to go into the receiver. It's easy to store when not in use - pull it out of the receiver and lay it in the truck bed. Cost - very little. Can send pic if anyone is interested.

Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote