Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
letter boxing

After reading your posts here, we took our AS rubberstamp and decided to try this! What fun!! Our first was a success. We found the letter box near a parking lot. Larry was worried about the folks watching us....hmmm...trafficing something????? or what!??? It was pretty fun and funny! We worked fast to get done while there was less traffic.

Thanks, dougjamie, for the information. I am an avid rubberstamper and this is another avenue to take them.

Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I geocache, my login on geocaching.com is "ingie". It goes very well with Airstreaming. I look for at least one cache wherever we go, even if it's just a weekend drive somewhere.

I found that reading over the www.geocaching.com site carefully will help you get what you need to successfully do some 'caching and not go broke. A GPS unit that downloads the coordinates via a cable from the computer to the unit is really helpful. Otherwise you're manually punching in long strings of numbers into your GPS, and you risk entering a wrong digit, and that can put you wandering around looking nowhere near the cache.

When we are going to travel, I look up the caches within 10 miles of the zip code, on the Geocaching site. I print them out and throw them in my envelope. I download the coordinates using EasyGPS to my computer, change the number to a string of letters that will help me identify which cache I'm looking at on my GPS, and then transfer to the unit. I have a Garmin eTrex. Then I bring my supplies with me and we look for whichever one we can find. It's fun!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hi there!

I have been 'caching for four or five years now, and have not used anything other than my trusty Garmin e-Trex. I was in the Dallas area, and it was great to find and learn about new places I had no idea existed. We also enjoyed 'caching along our trip routes as we traveled (I did the same thing as Ingrid, above, and printed out the 'caches in the areas I would be traveling to ahead of time). Now we are in central Arkansas and finally within the last year or so it has really picked up here. This sport goes hand-in-hand with Airstreamin', since caches are supposed to be hidden on public, accessible property and I have seen a lot of them at RV parks and state parks. Just remember not to put food of any sort (candy, gum, etc.) in 'caches, since it draws animals and bugs.

It's a great way to get out and get exercise, too!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #24
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Exclamation

You bet we do! If only we could find an AS shaped container. I like the idea of a Private Airstream Geocache right here on the forum. I could ask Andy to put up a dedicated Subject if there are enough people interested!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Geocaching has really died off in our area All the new caches are put out by this one really prolific guy who like really hard word puzzles and math problems and projected waypoints (something my old GPS can't do), mostly micro caches stored in pill bottle size containers where all you can do is sign a little rolled up piece of paper to say you were there. Everytime I think of a new place to put a cache he beats me to it with one of his. I'm sure some people like those sort of caches, but they're just not for us.
I hate stading in a playground looking for a toothpick! I loved the old caches where you just put the coordinates in your GPS, and follow it to an ammo can.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I agree, Stephanie! I won't do the micros since I enjoy the treasure hunt. I love to see what people put in for "treasures!" And when I worked for Interstate Batteries, I got a kick out of putting new batteries for GPS units in there.

I'm sorry yours is no fun any more.

Susan

Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Geocaching Anyone???

Has anybody done this? It sound like a lot of fun. I was reading a travel guide and came upon it. We are going to start doing it since I bought a Garmin Etrex and have only used it while fishing in our boat.

http://www.geocaching.com
Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
There are about 20 threads on this...if you use the search feature. Seems there are quite a few that do it...

Congrats on your 100th post!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I have been geocaching off and on for several years and it is a BLAST! I got to see parts of my own town I never knew existed. Pls it's great fun if you have time on trips--search your route and do caches along the way.

I have the eTrex, too, and enjoy it.

Susan

Old 07-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
I haven't done it in a while because once people filled in the obvious spots, they all seemed to go to micro caches, which aren't as much fun for me. My GPS is too old, seems like all the caches now use waypoints and projections which mine can't do, and micro caches are almost impossible when your GPS only has a 15-20ft accuracy! Talk about a needle in a haystack (or a pill bottle in a blackberry bush)!

It's great fun as long as you have a good GPS and choose your hunts carefully!

There's another game with written clues and stamps, I can't remember the name but maybe someone else will. I hear that one is great fun too, and no equipment needed.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
I feel your pain Stephanie. I have the best GPS (Garmin 60 CSx) that most of the cachers use and even with that there are some that are just impossible to find. The most diabolical hide I ever found was secreted in a fake tree stump that you had to take apart to get the micro out. It was buried deep in a Florida swamp and took me the better part of two hours to find. I will plead to being just plain lucky on this one though. I am one of five people that have found it in 2 years. It is addictive though and I get a lot of fun out of doing it.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Letterboxing?

I think the other one is Letter Boxing. I think alot of Rallies are offering GEO-Caching now too... an alternative event at a rally.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, I want to look into the letterboxing. I was talking to someone in our theater group the other day who is into that and says it's great fun. No equipment needed, which is nice.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
Stef if you are really interested in Letter boxing here is the Website that controls this activity. Letterboxing North America Hope this helps you and anyone else interested in this activity.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Well this is wonderful!

My husband and I Geochache and just introduced two other Airstreams to the sport this past weekend. Hoping to do alot more!

Robin

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Hammond , New York
Hi,
I have been geocaching longer than airstreaming. My geocache name is the same as the airstream nickname.
woodenicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
I haven't looked in a while, so I went to the website. There's tons of new caches to hunt for - I haven't found one since Feb '05!!! Might be time to go hunt a few down.

I also had several travel bugs out and about. One made it to friends in IL, and they kept it. The others have all dissapeared. The last one, Scully, was released Nov 2002, crossed the country a couple times, even making it back home at one point, and then I sent her off again. She finally dissapeared in July of this year. Might turn up again yet, you never know. I think the travel bugs was my favorite part of the caching

Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
1996 28' Excella
Winchester , Tennessee
Just getting started geocaching. I would like to know if there is an airstream
geocoin or Tb. That would be fun to leave in caches
tinman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
That's a great idea. I would think one of our many vendors, like VTS, would be interested in creating some. I'd buy some just to puzzle my DW.

DW: What's that, another one of your Airstream thingies?

Me: Yeah. It only cost 3 dollars.

DW: What's it do?

Me: It's a secret.

DW: You're crazy.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I sold a 2008 28' International to a guy the Geocaching...as a matter of fact, he took me out in our parking lot behind some of our trailers and showed me where a container was right here on my lot...guess what...I got a GPS! I haven't started yet, I am waiting on some warmer weather!

Pretty cool!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote