Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
generator for earthquake prep

Hello,

I'm right in the middle of earthquake country. 20 minutes from San Francisco. Watching all those folks in NOLA without water/food/shelter/medicine etc. is making me finally getting off my duff to get an earthquake preparedness kit and plan together with my family.

Any shopping advice on a small generator?

finkplamingoes

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess it depends on what you are trying to preserve power to. Your home or your Tradewind? We are in earthquake country also and my biggest fear is the loss of power during the winter.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Looking at pics of people clamoring for gas and limited to 5 gallons in New Orleans I'd consider not only the gen. but the ability to get fuel for it. I bought this one because it's quiet and runs on propane, LP, or gas. That gives you more options. ALso, storing propane tanks or even using the ones on your trailer is safer than storing gas. I used it a couple of weeks ago for boondocking and was very pleased. I almost went with the two smaller hondas for weight advantages but being able to run on propane convinced me. I was able to carry this one in my Suburban and since there was no gas in it I didn't have to worry about fumes in the car.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef30iseb.htm

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
fink,

If you want it strictly for emergency backup, then a cage type generator and appropriate switchover device would be a good idea.
A 5000W model will get you enough juice to run refrigeration and perhaps a furnace, with a little power to spare for a few lights in the house.
The switchover is important to protect power line workers from getting zapped by your generator, once it is installed to your fuse box. It disconnects the city power, and let's the generator feed the fuses.
I have seen generators like that for less than $ 600.00
My eu2000 can run all my office equipment, plus lights in 1 office without speeding up much...and it's quiet. But it's not powerful enough to run furnace and refrigeration etc for household use.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Genny suggestions

A 2800 to 3000 watt genset with a 20/30amp locking plug outlet will be sufficient for most people and will run most anything in your house (but not all at once). Don't cheap out and buy a Coleman, Homelite or the like from Home Depot. Buy a Honda, Kawasaki or Yamaha and nothing else. Look into getting an electrician to wire a generator pony panel off of your main breaker panel, or devise a plan on how you will be getting power where you need it (fridge/freezer, sump pump, furnace etc.) Keep a minimum of 10 gals of fuel on hand, and stabilize it as soon as you buy it. Date it and rotate it every 4-6 months depending on the temp. stabilty of your storage. If the power goes out, and it looks like it'll be a while before it's restored, run the generator sparingly and only as required. You should be able to get away with about 6 hrs run time a day in the winter (less in the summer or warm climate areas). That would give you about 6 - 7 days of running from your 10 gallon reserve and a full tank in the genny itself. You should keep the genny full BTW, stabilize the fuel in it too and make sure that you run it monthly, even if it's only for 1/2 an hour. Think of ways to use it, run your skil saw or shop vac rather than getting an extention cord, just don't let it sit - if you do, it probably won't run when you need it most. Just my 2 cents. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

emergency generators

one more vote for the propane powered variety. I can store a lot of propane and not have to "stabil" it or rotate it. One more little item to consider, a good water filter. I'm partial to the MSR ones as you can clean them easily and they will take the nastiest water and make if drinkable. if I'm not mistaken they will filter down to the viral level. Hope it never happens, but the first rule of the woods is 'better to have and not need than need and not have".
flsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Ingrid
After the quake of 89 we set up a 8kw generator with a transfer switch and a 500 gallon porpane tank. But the most important thing we found that was needed is WATER !!!! Now we also have a 1650 gallon emergency supply of water. We lost our house from the quake and there was NO HELP at all, we were on our own. We know how our fellow country men and women feel in the south after Katrina. Be ready with food and water.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Post I second the motion!!!

Tinsel's got it right. Generators are great, but what you will really need after any emergency is food and water, especially water.

FEMA and the Red Cross have been telling people for years to have a supply of food and water and a "grab and run" kit, because the government will not be in place to assist for at least 72 hours. We need to start relying on our own sensibilities and strengths and not expect to have the government bale us out.

By the way, we didn't have power for 3 hours today. Some substation went down. I wasn't concerned. I turned on the battery powered radio/tv, got a bottle of water, sat and balanced the checkbook and then picked grapes.

Grandma always said " the Lord helps those who help themselves"

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Living Off Grid / Prayers for those in need

We have a Lincoln welder. It can run our well, all appliances and even an electric water heater. There is a switch box at the electric pole where we plug in to our supply line. It burns 0.8 gal per hour peak. Where we live the power goes off sometimes for days.

We are becoming more efficient and need less power for back-up but everything is paid for and I can even weld if necessary.

My wife made fun of me for buying it before Y2K. She is happy we have had it for some rough times we have had. Praying works.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thanks, all. The water, food and emergency medical supplies are all top priority over the generator, definitely. I'm not so sure we're even getting a generator. Where I live, winter can be comparitavely easy to survive without electricity or heat. It's not warm at night, but a good sleeping bag takes care of it. I was thinking in terms of being on our own for longer than the required three days of supplies. After the '06 quake, the biggest threat besides panic was fires, they say. If we can stay home but be without help, then we'd be fine with supplies, but if there are fires and everyone has to evacuate, plan B is grab and run. I haven't gotten to that scenario yet in my planning. I'm doing what most residents here haven't done, which is GET STARTED.

That propane and water filter advice looks good though.

ingrid
Old 09-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
Ingrid
After the quake of 89 we set up a 8kw generator with a transfer switch and a 500 gallon porpane tank. But the most important thing we found that was needed is WATER !!!! Now we also have a 1650 gallon emergency supply of water. We lost our house from the quake and there was NO HELP at all, we were on our own. We know how our fellow country men and women feel in the south after Katrina. Be ready with food and water.
What kind of a container do you store all that water in?

ingrid
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy Water, water everywhere....

Ingrid -

We have our water stored in 55 gal drums in various locations throughout our house and outbuildings. We have not stored as much as some do, because we have access to ponds (spring fed) and a creek. We also keep a large supply of commercially bottled drinking water. Two good sources of information is www.providentliving.org and www.beprepared.com of course along with the Red Cross and FEMA websites.

I'm glad you are preparing.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
We just now had a little shake here. Anyone feel it?

You can buy 55 gallon water storage drums for fairly cheap shipping at www.quakekare.com the total price after the siphon pump and all that jazz was about $108.00 for me but I don't know how far they would have to ship to wherever you are. You could save shipping by picking it up in person or there may be other options but to get the dang thing into my posssession I finally just ordered it.

ingrid
Old 03-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Ingrid, we didn't feel anything this far south. But here's a nice link:
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/122-37.html
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Been there - DONE all that.....

All,

It's good to see all of you thinking ahead. My wife thought I was a fool for investing in a whole house generator (45Kw) and 250 gal propane tank to run it. She really let lose when I filled the tank - one too many large bills. The generator went in 18 days before Katrina - I had the tank filled 8 days before Katrina, then flew to Japan for work. My wife evacuated then returned two days after the storm. With the auto switch the fridge, freezer, AC, lights, hot water, everything was working off the generator (some manual switching and common sense required). Needless to say it was a good investment. 16.5 days without utility power (PLUS two additional weeks without reliable power) later and we were clear of a major problem. Insurance paid nothing for the generator but did have an generous allowance for the fuel.

I have a 2500 watt and 5000 watt generator for portable use but thought for my home going big was the way to go. By the way, the police came by before I got home and advised my wife to power off at night to keep the "flys" away. Those of you in Kalifornia may like to know I only had to shoot at looters 3 times to get the word out.

We have always been prepared - storage of large containers of city water may not be a good idea unless properly treated, get a good filter and USE IT. Rotate stored food stocks yearly (or get MRE's for 8+year storage), get a propane powered generator (safest to store in bulk and last in storage forever), OWN A GUN - there are people out there that will take your stuff.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
I Felt It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
We just now had a little shake here. Anyone feel it?
Ingrid,

I heard and felt the 3.4 this morning - the center was very close to me. I can't say that we are as prepared as we should be. The shaker this morning served as a reminder that we need to get moving on that!

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Good advice...get movin' folks, just go get a big box or even a garbage can with a lid for storing stuff, fill it up, and stick it in a corner of your yard. (Houses might not be habitable after an earthquake so you might have to live in your yard or throw your box in a vehicle and go somewhere safe.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
All,

It's good to see all of you thinking ahead. My wife thought I was a fool for investing in a whole house generator (45Kw) and 250 gal propane tank to run it. She really let lose when I filled the tank - one too many large bills. The generator went in 18 days before Katrina - I had the tank filled 8 days before Katrina, then flew to Japan for work. My wife evacuated then returned two days after the storm. With the auto switch the fridge, freezer, AC, lights, hot water, everything was working off the generator (some manual switching and common sense required). Needless to say it was a good investment. 16.5 days without utility power (PLUS two additional weeks without reliable power) later and we were clear of a major problem. Insurance paid nothing for the generator but did have an generous allowance for the fuel.

I have a 2500 watt and 5000 watt generator for portable use but thought for my home going big was the way to go. By the way, the police came by before I got home and advised my wife to power off at night to keep the "flys" away. Those of you in Kalifornia may like to know I only had to shoot at looters 3 times to get the word out.

We have always been prepared - storage of large containers of city water may not be a good idea unless properly treated, get a good filter and USE IT. Rotate stored food stocks yearly (or get MRE's for 8+year storage), get a propane powered generator (safest to store in bulk and last in storage forever), OWN A GUN - there are people out there that will take your stuff.

ingrid
Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi Mookie!

I'm right over here in Alameda, grew up in Oakland. Just wanted to say hi!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Ingrid & Mark, I grew up in Berkeley, went to grade school in Oakland, and sailed out of Alameda on our families sailboat on weekends. Our emergency quake kit, is right outside, our trailer is always fully stocked. Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
proud of myself

I made some progress on earthquake prep today, since it was too wet to work on the trailer. I went out and filled, treated and sealed my barrel of water, also got some MRE's to put in the big plastic garbage can I am going to fill up with supplies. It's not much but it's a start and I did it!

ingrid