Old 03-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Been there - DONE all that.....

All,

It's good to see all of you thinking ahead. My wife thought I was a fool for investing in a whole house generator (45Kw) and 250 gal propane tank to run it. She really let lose when I filled the tank - one too many large bills. The generator went in 18 days before Katrina - I had the tank filled 8 days before Katrina, then flew to Japan for work. My wife evacuated then returned two days after the storm. With the auto switch the fridge, freezer, AC, lights, hot water, everything was working off the generator (some manual switching and common sense required). Needless to say it was a good investment. 16.5 days without utility power (PLUS two additional weeks without reliable power) later and we were clear of a major problem. Insurance paid nothing for the generator but did have an generous allowance for the fuel.

I have a 2500 watt and 5000 watt generator for portable use but thought for my home going big was the way to go. By the way, the police came by before I got home and advised my wife to power off at night to keep the "flys" away. Those of you in Kalifornia may like to know I only had to shoot at looters 3 times to get the word out.

We have always been prepared - storage of large containers of city water may not be a good idea unless properly treated, get a good filter and USE IT. Rotate stored food stocks yearly (or get MRE's for 8+year storage), get a propane powered generator (safest to store in bulk and last in storage forever), OWN A GUN - there are people out there that will take your stuff.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
I Felt It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
We just now had a little shake here. Anyone feel it?
Ingrid,

I heard and felt the 3.4 this morning - the center was very close to me. I can't say that we are as prepared as we should be. The shaker this morning served as a reminder that we need to get moving on that!

-Mark

Old 03-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Good advice...get movin' folks, just go get a big box or even a garbage can with a lid for storing stuff, fill it up, and stick it in a corner of your yard. (Houses might not be habitable after an earthquake so you might have to live in your yard or throw your box in a vehicle and go somewhere safe.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
All,

It's good to see all of you thinking ahead. My wife thought I was a fool for investing in a whole house generator (45Kw) and 250 gal propane tank to run it. She really let lose when I filled the tank - one too many large bills. The generator went in 18 days before Katrina - I had the tank filled 8 days before Katrina, then flew to Japan for work. My wife evacuated then returned two days after the storm. With the auto switch the fridge, freezer, AC, lights, hot water, everything was working off the generator (some manual switching and common sense required). Needless to say it was a good investment. 16.5 days without utility power (PLUS two additional weeks without reliable power) later and we were clear of a major problem. Insurance paid nothing for the generator but did have an generous allowance for the fuel.

I have a 2500 watt and 5000 watt generator for portable use but thought for my home going big was the way to go. By the way, the police came by before I got home and advised my wife to power off at night to keep the "flys" away. Those of you in Kalifornia may like to know I only had to shoot at looters 3 times to get the word out.

We have always been prepared - storage of large containers of city water may not be a good idea unless properly treated, get a good filter and USE IT. Rotate stored food stocks yearly (or get MRE's for 8+year storage), get a propane powered generator (safest to store in bulk and last in storage forever), OWN A GUN - there are people out there that will take your stuff.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi Mookie!

I'm right over here in Alameda, grew up in Oakland. Just wanted to say hi!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Ingrid & Mark, I grew up in Berkeley, went to grade school in Oakland, and sailed out of Alameda on our families sailboat on weekends. Our emergency quake kit, is right outside, our trailer is always fully stocked. Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
proud of myself

I made some progress on earthquake prep today, since it was too wet to work on the trailer. I went out and filled, treated and sealed my barrel of water, also got some MRE's to put in the big plastic garbage can I am going to fill up with supplies. It's not much but it's a start and I did it!

ingrid
Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Rain, Rain, go away!

Hi Ingrid,

I'm curious, what did you use to treat the water and where did you get it?

On a different subject, if it doesn't stop raining around here soon, we're going turn our Airstream into an ark!

-Mark
Old 03-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yeah no kidding, if we could get out there to turn it into an ark in the downpour.

I ordered the barrel from www.quakekare.com and it came with water treatment. However you can use regular household bleach to treat it, but look up the details on that. You don't want to use too much/too little or use scented stuff. PM me if you have more questions, I'll be happy to answer!

Is TOWPEDO your real license plate? Cool!

ingrid