Old 11-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Before leaving for Falluminum, about a 1000 mile round trip my neighbor ask if gas prices were too high to go, my answer then and still is "Gas is the least of the cost" I didn't bother trying to educate him, but all on this group knows the expenses of "camping" and the pleasures of your own bed, one pack and unpack and the ability to change the agenda.
I did google search gas prices and found a 20 cent dif in prices around Atlanta so was able to fill at better prices south of Atlanta before heading home.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #30
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Not so fast...

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Almost 40 years ago, the club did a survey about fuel prices.

The question was, "How much would you be willing to pay for gas, before you would quit Airstreaming".

Surprisingly, the answer was $5.00, per US gallon.

So, gas has never reached that price, and motor vehicles get at least double the mileage than the 40 year old vehicles.

What's to talk about????

Maybe the question should have been "If you had to pay $50,000 to $100,000 for an Airstream, would you still be camping in one?" Airstream's new unit sales today seem to answer that question pretty clearly...

And as for the improvements in gas mileage, has that same doubling in performance been true for our TVs too? I don't think so. Lots of folks on here talk about getting 8 mpg when towing. Were owners getting 4 mpg back in the day? Hmmm...

Lots to talk about, especially when one realizes that while gas will never really become unavailable, it will become unattainable for a lot more people when it double or triples in price. I won't speculate as to when that will happen, but I can't see it being all that long into the future.

If a trailerite is retired and on a fixed income, and if the costs of fuel DO double or triple, what will your reaction be?

Here in Canada, the government proudly points to the Alberta tar sand as our way to ensure fuel availability well into the future. But at the same time, the conservationists also point out that the filth and pollution we create there by "mining" oil is NOT sustainable.

Fact: ponds of poisonous tailings killed hundreds of wild ducks last week. Is it going to be that long before we realize that the manner in which fresh water is wasted in order to have that gas is not sustainable either?

Hard to laugh at the future when you really look closely at the signs that are becoming evident today...

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Maybe the question should have been "If you had to pay $50,000 to $100,000 for an Airstream, would you still be camping in one?" Airstream's new unit sales today seem to answer that question pretty clearly...
Finally someone has asked the real question. AS sit squarely in the luxury category. And luxury Items are usually the first to go when peoples budget get's squeezed hard. will people go camping? sure, they will just do it in a cheaper brand.

Despite what others here say, gas is still cheap. "Evil" oil companies and their conspiritous corporate greed is one of the greatest American myths created by the media. All you really have do is really look at the numbers, calorically & financially. Oil companies average rate of return is 8% and most have project investment hurdles of 11-13%. Banking on the other hand has a long term target return of 15%. Their historic project/investment criteria is normally >25%. Just take a look at the average credit card rate. Can't think of too many oil company failures that have resulted in economic collapse....

The rise in oil prices over the last 10 years has been the result of limited access to oil rich regions due to a combination of nationalism and competition from really large emerging economies (china). These entities are willing to pay well above reasonable prices to ensure a steady supply and will be happy to do it at the expense of their people (it's not like they'll get voted out of office).
Not sure we can say the same about AS trailers.

Both oil & airstreams will eventually reach a price where other competing products will cause their prices to plateau (or crash). Right now It looks like $5-7/gal is where other forms of fuel (LPG, Methane, bio) become real competitive with gasoline. Any guesses how much more AS prices need to climb before a serious AS competitor emerges????

Drive with confidence!.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #32
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Originally Posted by Hansom-Man View Post
Finally someone has asked the real question. AS sit squarely in the luxury category. And luxury Items are usually the first to go when peoples budget get's squeezed hard. will people go camping? sure, they will just do it in a cheaper brand.
I'm not sure this played out in exactly this way. From our experience here at the park, we saw no major decrease in traffic over the last several years beyond the fluctuation we normally see. What we did observe in the summer before the recession hit was people traveling shorter distances and staying put longer. That was the summer when we had the extremely high gasoline prices, closing on $4/gal on the local market.

I did observe a number of people over on who lost jobs and got rid of their RVs as a result. Those were relatively few in number. A more consistent pattern was that people were unable to get loans to purchase new RVs, though even that seems to have abated somewhat.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Gas prices?
Our A/S is our 'escape pod', it is of great value to just get away, the best therapy for my beloved wife and I.
Compared to bedbug ridden hotels or motels, it is a great deal to pull our trailer.
Who cares, it's well worth it..
Favorite Bumper sticker:
Yes, this is my truck...
No, I won't help you move....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I've compared gas prices in the late '40's and early '60's with today using an inflation calculator and they are pretty much the same.

As for the original post, we ran into the same thing when we were in California a couple of weeks ago. Some stations would post a cash price in small print and then when we used a credit card, the price would go up several cents to 20. Other stations had no difference. At the +20 station we only got enough gas to get us down the road for a while. We started trying to figure out which stations did this and which didn't. One Arco took credit cards at no extra charge, another didn't accept credit cards, only debit cards or cash. No way we could figure this out and buying gas in Cal. was a pain. There was no place that trusts people and so you have to prepay. Some of the card readers didn't work, so one of us had to go inside (no way we were going to leave a credit card with a clerk) and the other waits for the pump to work—which is not always easy to figure out, and sometimes didn't.

It used to be retailers couldn't charge more for credit transactions than cash—this was in the agreement between the retailer and the credit card company. That barrier has been loosening over the years and now it's gone. I think it's a result of a court case.

I expect you'll soon see the same crazy stuff we faced in California everywhere. "Pay at the pump" may be a memory. Maybe we'll bring cash from now on. If we save $2.00 each time we buy gas, and we buy gas once or twice a day, a two week trip is 14 x 2.00 x 1.5 (times/day) = $44. We can't always get the cheapest price because some stations are not accessible, or the cheapest ones are crowded. We buy any brand because most stations in an area get the same fuel from the nearest refinery. They might add something different at the station, but the additives are more an ad thing than make any difference.

Arco, by the way, is not a small company brand. Atlantic oil and Richfield oil merged long ago and became Atlantic Richfield, thus the name. Arco was bought by BP in 2000. They kept the name on the west coast because it's a successful brand there and used to only take cash—you can put cash in a box next to the pumps, if it works.

The problem with all these systems—give them some cash, use a pre-arranged amount on a credit or debit card—is you don't fill the tank. With low mileage while towing, I always want to fill the tank.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I guess it goes with the territory. I don't like the games or the high prices for gas in California, but I wasn't happy with buying gas in Arizona either.

In Arizona, I pull up to the pump, open my gas door, remove my gas cap, then insert my credit card; Now the fun starts. I think the Arizona gas pumps were designed by little kids. [too many questions]

Is this card Credit or Debit?

Do you want a Receipt?

Do you want a car wash?

Are you a Kroger member?

Insert your member card!

Enter your discount code!

Enter your five digit area code!

Sorry you entered the incorrect information and you cannot start over or re-set this pump; Please bring your card and a blood sample to our friendly cashier, and wait patiently as there are already fifteen people ahead of you and our one and only clerk has to refill the slurpee machine first.

Bob drove down the street and found a more normal type gas station.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, you didn't get far enough in the process to get the voice telling you about how Kroger's gas pump will squirt some cleaner or "mouse milk" into the gas for an extra charge. You can sometimes try to turn off the sound, but the voice will keep talking for another 30 seconds. We have that joyous, annoying offer at City Market in western Colorado.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Good for you Bob.

I really dislike the hassle we put up with at the pumps. We are there for fuel, usually in need to getting to our destination, and then we get all the crap thrown at us. Do you want a coke, it's on sale for only 9 bucks, how about chips then? Car wash? Four different kinds. ARE YOU SURE? Blah blah, blah. Bye, go to next gas station. My MO as well.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote